Author Topic: ORIOLES  (Read 465443 times)

K8teebug

Re: ORIOLES
« Reply #375 on: October 01, 2012, 12:13:52 pm »
So, what does everyone think will happen this week?  I'm guessing we'll be going to a Wild Card game on Friday, but I do also have high hopes to beat the Yankees.

K8teebug

« Reply #376 on: October 01, 2012, 12:14:12 pm »
And by "we", I mean me and my friends :)

shemptiness

« Reply #377 on: October 01, 2012, 12:14:59 pm »
Reading all these slides really made my head hurt.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1353502-breaking-down-the-american-league-playoff-picture-with-3-days-to-go#/articles/1353502-breaking-down-the-american-league-playoff-picture-with-3-days-to-go

Seems to me the loser of a divisional tie-break game should be considered the #1 wild card team.  This  seems to contradict that notion.

shemptiness

« Reply #378 on: October 01, 2012, 12:29:56 pm »

I didn't malign your team.  Just the stadium they play in....and our team is called the Orioles....

The Rays aren't my team. Just tired of lazy armchair quarterbacking by hO's fans who haven't even been to the stadium.

Agreed.  We should all have informed opinions before we post anything on this board.  Like you for instance.

vansmack

« Reply #379 on: October 01, 2012, 01:09:48 pm »
I have NOT been to the Trop (will not watch baseball indoors), the newish Milwaukee and Nationals stadium (if you can believe that!)  and the new Minnesota and Florida stadiums.  That's it.  I saw the old versions of each of those stadiums, though.
27>34

K8teebug

« Reply #380 on: October 01, 2012, 01:23:28 pm »
How was the new Miami stadium?  It looks wonderful!

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #381 on: October 01, 2012, 02:16:17 pm »
I have NOT been to the Trop (will not watch baseball indoors)

my fondest memory of the Trop nee ThunderDome:  April 21, 1996 - Game 3 of the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs, Bolts v. Flyers

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/05/05/Lightning/Six_Days.shtml

On a Sunday afternoon, Tampa Bay, (Florida!) became Hockeytown. A crowd of 25,945 - the most ever to watch an NHL game - shouldered their way into what is now Tropicana Field.

"It was almost like a Bucs game," Zamuner said. "There were signs everywhere, you couldn't even see the crowd."

Even the Flyers were impressed. Then and now.

"What was it called (then)? The ThunderDome?" Lindros said. "It was incredible. It really was. That's a huge number of people, just enormous. In hockey, you think of (Joe Louis Arena in Detroit), which is a little over 20 grand. There, you bumped it up seven eight more grand."

In a wild game, the Flyers took leads of 3-1 and 4-3, but Game 2 hero Bellows scored 79 seconds into the third period and the teams again headed for overtime.

"That day, Terry (Crisp) wore a hockey tie and there was a scoreboard on it," Crisp's wife, Sheila, recalls. "The score said 5-4. On the back of the tie was the name of the kid who drew the picture for the tie. His name was Jeff. Our son's name is Jeff. We figured that was a good omen. We were meant to win."

The Lightning did. At 2:04 of overtime, Selivanov scored what still ranks as the greatest goal in franchise history to give the Bolts a 2-1 lead in the series.

"I've done a lot of things in my career," then-Lightning general manager Phil Esposito said. "I've won Stanley Cups, played in All-Star games, made it to the Hall of Fame. But that moment, when Alex scored that goal, still is the most thrilling thing I've ever been a part of."

"At that moment," Reese said, "I was convinced we were going to win the series."
(o|o)

mekmad

« Reply #382 on: October 01, 2012, 04:57:11 pm »
Apparently tickets to break a would be Yanks/O's tie on Thursday go on sale tomorrow (Tues) at 2pm.  Game would be in Bmore due to a tiebreaker.

James Ford

« Reply #383 on: October 01, 2012, 06:25:51 pm »
Yes, that didn't make sense to me at all.

Tie the Yankees and lose a playoff to them and you have to fly to the West Coast to play Oakland the next day? EVEN IF YOU HAD A BETTER RECORD THAN OAKLAND? Or did I read that wrong?

Reading all these slides really made my head hurt.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1353502-breaking-down-the-american-league-playoff-picture-with-3-days-to-go#/articles/1353502-breaking-down-the-american-league-playoff-picture-with-3-days-to-go

Seems to me the loser of a divisional tie-break game should be considered the #1 wild card team.  This  seems to contradict that notion.

shemptiness

« Reply #384 on: October 01, 2012, 08:13:34 pm »
Tampa doesn't deserve the team they have.  15K tonight?  Pathetic.

vansmack

« Reply #385 on: October 01, 2012, 08:18:32 pm »
Or did I read that wrong?

I think you read that wrong.

The only way the O's or Yanks have to fly to Oakland or Texas is if all three are tied. 

Two-Club Tie for Division Championship & Tie with Club Outside Division For One Wild Card Spot:
1. One tiebreak game will be played on Thursday, October 4th (tentatively) to determine the Division Champion. Home field advantage will be determined by the rules above for a two-team tiebreaker.

2. A second tiebreak game will be played on Friday, October 5th (tentatively) between the loser of the game to determine the Division Champion and the team from the other division at the ballpark of the team in the other division to determine the Wild Card.

That's ONLY if it's a 3-way tie.

Otherwise, the team with the better record hosts the wild card game.

In both of these scenarios that he lays out, the records are a three way tie:

so what happens if all three teams finish the year with the same record?

It could happen pretty easily, actually. If the Orioles and Yankees both lose two out of three to finish the season and the A's win two out of three, then all three teams would end the season with a record of 93-69.

Thankfully, the tiebreaker scenario for this situation is quite simple.

First, the Orioles and Yankees would do battle for the AL East title on Thursday. Again, the game would be in Baltimore, as the O's have already clinched a better AL East record than the Yankees.

The loser of that game would play the A's on Friday. The tiebreaking rules would call for the A's to host the game, so the loser of the O's vs. Yanks tilt on Thursday would immediately have to fly across the country to Oakland.

Now, a scenario such as this could also come to pass if the A's sweep the Rangers while the Orioles and Yankees both lose two out of three in their final series, as the Rangers would find themselves with a record of 93-69.

If so, it would be the same thing. The O's and Yanks would play in Baltimore on Thursday, and the winner would head to Texas for a do-or-die wild card game on Friday.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:32:44 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #386 on: October 01, 2012, 08:22:05 pm »

Why would you think that?

I'm sure MLB's rationale had something to do with TV trucks getting set up or travel arrangements or some like that, so I agree that their rationale isn't any better, but I'm just wondering why you would argue that case.

For the record, I think it should be head-to-head and Oakland is 5-4 against the O's this season, but 5-5 against the Yanks, so go figure.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:44:25 pm by vansmack »
27>34

shemptiness

« Reply #387 on: October 01, 2012, 09:32:19 pm »
Apparently tickets to break a would be Yanks/O's tie on Thursday go on sale tomorrow (Tues) at 2pm.  Game would be in Bmore due to a tiebreaker.

Red Sox are laying down.  There won't be a tie-breaker.

James Ford

« Reply #388 on: October 01, 2012, 09:51:31 pm »
i read that this is the case if it's oakland and baltimore in the wild card.

wild card will be in Oakland regardless or records, they go by the head go head.

For the record, I think it should be head-to-head and Oakland is 5-4 against the O's this season, but 5-5 against the Yanks, so go figure.

mekmad

« Reply #389 on: October 01, 2012, 11:44:52 pm »

Red Sox are laying down.  There won't be a tie-breaker.

Yeah, thanks Red Sox..  Looks like tix actually go on sale at 12pm for area residents, open to NY at 2pm..  But it looks like it will be the wildcard for the O's so I won't bother.  Updated bracket:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/postseasonpicture.jsp