Author Topic: ORIOLES  (Read 465427 times)

shemptiness

Re: ORIOLES
« Reply #615 on: February 11, 2013, 11:57:39 am »
Will miss Saunders, but I understand why the Orioles didn't want to pay him the money.

Am I the only Orioles fan not pissed off about this offseason? 

After the year they had and the euphoria of the football season it's hard to be pissed at anything.  Plus DD seems to be able to find value in no-named players.  Maybe the trend will continue this year. 

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #616 on: February 11, 2013, 01:53:46 pm »

There's still some time for DD to make some deals.  2B remains the biggest issue, I think.

vansmack

« Reply #617 on: February 11, 2013, 03:16:31 pm »

I think you should be upset, but it's hard to act surprised.  You can simply search this board for "angelos" and see why.  Duquette can find gems and Showalter was great at managing his young staff last year, but they spent $20 million this offseason and it's hard to argue that they're $20m better.

The good news for O's fans is that the Yankees are likely to be substantially worse, the Sox are still rebuilding and Toronto has gone for a one and done season.  This bode's well for the O's young team going forward.  Will be very fun to watch mid-Atlantic and CA baseball for the next 3-4 years.
27>34

shemptiness

« Reply #618 on: February 12, 2013, 06:11:58 pm »
I think the Reimold/McLouth platoon in LF will work out just fine.  And I think Brian Roberts makes a healthy return to 2B.  Chris Davis was considered a good defensive 1B at Texas - no reason to think he can't get it done.  The bullpen seems solid.  Starting pitching - lots of options there - something has to work out, right?  If not there's always Bundy and Gausman waiting in the wings....

Ah, nothing like the optimism of spring!

atomicfront

« Reply #619 on: February 12, 2013, 06:14:38 pm »
I think the Reimold/McLouth platoon in LF will work out just fine.  And I think Brian Roberts makes a healthy return to 2B.  Chris Davis was considered a good defensive 1B at Texas - no reason to think he can't get it done.  The bullpen seems solid.  Starting pitching - lots of options there - something has to work out, right?  If not there's always Bundy and Gausman waiting in the wings....

Ah, nothing like the optimism of spring!

Reimold is an awful fielder.  To me strictly DH duty for him.  Problem is that same thing is true of Betemit. 

K8teebug

« Reply #620 on: February 13, 2013, 09:39:43 am »
I really like Reimold. 

James Ford

« Reply #621 on: February 13, 2013, 10:32:51 am »
Let's see. 1 million for about 20 games this year (until a season ending injury) works out to about $50,000 per game.

That's still more of a bargain than Felix Hernandez. 25 million per year for seven years, 33 starts per year=3300 pitches per year (100 pitches per start.)=$7575 per pitch thrown. And that's assuming he never gets hurt.

So Reimold is a bargain. He makes as much for a game played and King Felix makes for throwing seven pitches.

I guess I'm comparing apples to oranges though.

I really like Reimold. 

K8teebug

« Reply #622 on: February 13, 2013, 11:34:36 am »
I think he was really coming into his own last year before he was injured.  I think if he's healthy, he'll be a good contributor to the team. 

atomicfront

« Reply #623 on: February 13, 2013, 11:43:56 am »
Let's see. 1 million for about 20 games this year (until a season ending injury) works out to about $50,000 per game.

That's still more of a bargain than Felix Hernandez. 25 million per year for seven years, 33 starts per year=3300 pitches per year (100 pitches per start.)=$7575 per pitch thrown. And that's assuming he never gets hurt.

So Reimold is a bargain. He makes as much for a game played and King Felix makes for throwing seven pitches.

I really like Reimold. 

let's see Felix is 3 years younger and has a career war of 31.5 and nolan has a career war of 3.3.  Felix has pitched at least 232 inning each of the past 4 years.  Has been to the all star game 3 times. .. Reimold is on the injury list by the time the all-star game occurs.  Real comparison there.   

James Ford

« Reply #624 on: February 13, 2013, 12:59:41 pm »
Felix will make more pitching one inning than most Americans make working for an entire year.

Why wasn't this addressed in the State of the Union?

I really like Reimold. 

let's see Felix is 3 years younger and has a career war of 31.5 and nolan has a career war of 3.3.  Felix has pitched at least 232 inning each of the past 4 years.  Has been to the all star game 3 times. .. Reimold is on the injury list by the time the all-star game occurs.  Real comparison there.   

vansmack

« Reply #625 on: February 13, 2013, 02:11:31 pm »

You absolutely are. Comparing the salaries of a starting  pitcher and a reserve outfielder based on games played makes absolutely no sense.

The bigger question is why did Seattle do the deal now? He was signed for two more years...
27>34

atomicfront

« Reply #626 on: February 13, 2013, 02:45:00 pm »
Felix will make more pitching one inning than most Americans make working for an entire year.

Why wasn't this addressed in the State of the Union?

I really like Reimold. 

Brian Roberts makes 10 million a year and all he does is sit in his house in sarasota drinking tom collins after tom collins.

K8teebug

« Reply #627 on: February 13, 2013, 02:48:16 pm »
Buck said at fanfest that Brian Roberts is supposed to be ready to go.  I am still extremely skeptical, but he seemed pretty sure that Brian Roberts would be healthy this year.

At least for the first two games...

James Ford

« Reply #628 on: February 13, 2013, 03:37:15 pm »
On a side note, I think I read that the Eagles cancelled Michael Vick's huge long term contract and instead signed him to a new one year deal. Did I read that right? Is that allowed in the NFL?

You absolutely are. Comparing the salaries of a starting  pitcher and a reserve outfielder based on games played makes absolutely no sense.

The bigger question is why did Seattle do the deal now? He was signed for two more years...

atomicfront

« Reply #629 on: February 13, 2013, 03:47:02 pm »
On a side note, I think I read that the Eagles cancelled Michael Vick's huge long term contract and instead signed him to a new one year deal. Did I read that right? Is that allowed in the NFL?

No contracts are guranteed in football.  The thing that keeps teams from just cutting every overpaid player is signing bonuses.   Say they sign a 4 year contract at 5 million a year with a 20 million dollar signing bonus.  So that is a cap hit of 10 million a year.  So if they cut him after the first season his cap hit would might be 15 million a year even though he isn't playing.