Author Topic: ORIOLES  (Read 465468 times)

James Ford

Re: ORIOLES
« Reply #1080 on: August 17, 2013, 10:26:47 pm »
Recommend89Tweet27Comments24EmailPrintCHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs? July 2 trade of right-hander Scott Feldman to the Orioles for Jake Arrieta and Pedro Strop appeared to be start them going down the path toward another year without a competitive team.

But unlike in 2012, when the Cubs finished with the worst record in the National League after trading five veteran players before the deadline, this season?s trades have taken on a much different tone.

In Arrieta and Strop the Cubs may have found the next staff ace and closer in one deal.

• Enlarge

Brian Kersey/Getty Images
Cubs starter Jake Arrieta allowed just two hits in seven shutout innings on Friday.Strop has worked nicely into the back end of the Cubs bullpen and Arrieta, after his second straight dominant performance on Friday, will now have time over the last quarter of the season to establish himself securely in the Cubs? 2014 rotation. Manager Dale Sveum said Arrieta has a spot for the rest of the season.

The former Baltimore starter shut down the St. Louis Cardinals on two hits through seven innings Friday, winning his first game with his new club.

?The biggest thing is to be able to get into a routine again,? Arrieta said after the Cubs shut out the Cardinals, 7-0. ?I now know I will be taking the ball every five days for this team. This is something I envisioned myself doing ever since the trade was made. My mindset was to just go about my business and be consistent whether it?s here or in Iowa.?

With a young rotation struggling to establish itself, Arrieta?s performance gave the manager and his coaching staff a lift they needed.

?That is the kind of stuff the power arms can do when they are throwing strikes and making pitches,? Sveum said. ?He made some really good pitches with his 91 mph cutter -- slider -- whatever you want to call it. He made some really good pitches in key situations and counts. When you thought he was going to lose some good hitters he made really good pitches down and away on the black.?

Arrieta gives the Theo Epstein-Jed Hoyer group a lot of hope for the future. Arrieta has an 0.69 ERA for the two games he has started for the Cubs, and more impressive than his ERA are his hits-against numbers. He has given up just four hits while facing 42 hitters.

Strop has quietly established himself as the top power arm in the bullpen. He has seven holds in 19 games as a Cub. Strop has struck out 21 and walked seven in 18.2 innings of work.

When Feldman is ready to call it a career, these two emerging golden arms may be writing new history on the north side of Chicago.

K8teebug

« Reply #1081 on: August 20, 2013, 09:08:50 am »
Per example, last night's loss f'ing sucked.  Depressing.

atomicfront

« Reply #1082 on: August 20, 2013, 09:32:28 am »
Per example, last night's loss f'ing sucked.  Depressing.

It was an interesting game. I am going tonight.  Hopefully the game is as good as last nights.  Last two games I have been to have been awful. 11-0 and 7-3 losses. 

K8teebug

« Reply #1083 on: August 20, 2013, 11:14:52 am »
I was going to go tonight, but I'm going to at least 6 games in September (including 2 in Cleveland), so I'm going to rest and watch it at home tonight.  At least the crowd sounded really into it last night!  Definitely a change from what the Yard was like a few years ago this time of year!

K8teebug

« Reply #1084 on: August 21, 2013, 09:54:55 am »
Atomic, you are not allowed to go to any more games.

atomicfront

« Reply #1085 on: August 21, 2013, 10:02:17 am »
Atomic, you are not allowed to go to any more games.

I only have tickets for 1 more game.  Last series against the Red Sox.  I think I will try to sell them so as not to hurt the team. 

Guys were in my seat again last night.  I went to Dempsey's restaurant first and had dinner and beer.  Got to my seats after the second inning ended and the guys looked annoyed again that I said they were in my seat.  Pretty annoying.  They need to check tickets like they used to let people in the lower sections.

K8teebug

« Reply #1086 on: August 21, 2013, 10:36:24 am »
The rule at camden yards is you can sit wherever until people come with your tickets.  I'm okay with that.  If people are being rude, you can always get an usher to take care of it.

I have tickets to the last two games and the Thursday game before that.  Also going September 5th in solidarity against NFL bullies...and two games in Cleveland.  Alot of September games!  Hopefully some October games too....we'll see.  It's looking kind of sad right now, but hopefully they'll go on a tear.

atomic

« Reply #1087 on: August 29, 2013, 03:48:46 pm »
Wait 'til next year.

shemptiness

« Reply #1088 on: August 29, 2013, 06:14:59 pm »
Wait 'til next year.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

shemptiness

« Reply #1089 on: August 30, 2013, 02:20:56 pm »
'Take on Me' @ Camden Yards 9/5.

James Ford

« Reply #1090 on: September 12, 2013, 08:37:08 am »
Last years team would have won last nights game.

What's the deal with sitting Markakis the day after he has a three hit game?

Oh wait, his wife hatched another kid. Fucking Greeks, can't stop breeding (that's a joke, I know Greece has a lower birthrate than the US). Cal would have never pulled that shit in a pennant race.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:40:32 am by James Ford »

hutch

« Reply #1091 on: September 12, 2013, 08:46:19 am »
Cal would have never pulled that shit in a pennant race.

well i think times have changed....the "rules" have changed.....men can't say "hey have my kid for me and i'll see you in a few days..."

what hasn't changed is the yankees always win the big games and the orioles always lose them..

James Ford

« Reply #1092 on: September 12, 2013, 09:14:41 am »
Yeah, I know. Was just joking. I was right there in our bedroom "coaching" my wife during her delivery.

But Cal wouldn't have been. In my bedroom, or his.

Cal would have never pulled that shit in a pennant race.

well i think times have changed....the "rules" have changed.....men can't say "hey have my kid for me and i'll see you in a few days..."

what hasn't changed is the yankees always win the big games and the orioles always lose them..

K8teebug

« Reply #1093 on: September 12, 2013, 03:38:28 pm »
What's the deal with the rules being so heinous that A-Roid is even allowed to play?!  I hate him.

James Ford

« Reply #1094 on: September 12, 2013, 03:45:03 pm »
I bet he'd play on a day his wife was giving birth.

And then shoot some steroids and fuck a couple of skanks.

What's the deal with the rules being so heinous that A-Roid is even allowed to play?!  I hate him.