Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3244545 times)

stevewizzle

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4695 on: July 15, 2014, 10:08:51 am »
wait!  i demand a recount!  i haven't listed the beers that i brought back, i'm sure that will change the judges' votes!!!

well, consider the list above like the college football pre-season rankings. by no means is it definitive.

i just dropped in to NoCal over the past weekend and spent some time at lagunitas, 21st amendment, toronado, and mikkeller bar. i probably should have included it on the list....  at the #2 spot ;)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4696 on: July 15, 2014, 10:23:59 am »
did you get to meet smackie, and did you get him to drink beer?
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #4697 on: July 15, 2014, 10:35:31 am »
Was atomic celebrating the birth of atomic jr.?

You know, his fictional child from his fictional wife who has been pregnant for about 16 months now?

I'm ok with being #3, but without a doubt my family did the best, most scenic hikes on vacation!

boardie beer vacations, ranked:
1. bressner goes to NE (an absurd haul)
2. sweetcell goes to belgium
3. james ford goes to denver
4. atomic's trip to max's in baltimore

stevewizzle

« Reply #4698 on: July 15, 2014, 10:39:41 am »

not this time. going to try and connect during my next trip in two weeks. and unless i'm at toronado, i'd rather grab a glass of wine in SF.

stevewizzle

« Reply #4699 on: July 15, 2014, 10:40:41 am »

You know, his fictional child from his fictional wife who has been pregnant for about 16 months now?

I'm ok with being #3, but without a doubt my family did the best, most scenic hikes on vacation!

that's why i specified "beer vacation" :)

we got atomic to go to max's like two years ago, and he hated it.  the memory should live on.

brennser

« Reply #4700 on: July 15, 2014, 10:51:46 am »
are you really gonna make me post pics of my beer AND my hikes just to prove that my trip was the best EVAH???!!!!  :P :P

vansmack

« Reply #4701 on: July 15, 2014, 11:32:59 am »
are you really gonna make me post pics of my beer AND my hikes just to prove that my trip was the best EVAH???!!!!  :P :P

I am friends with with half the group on FB, and the photos of Belgium vs the image your car on the rack is going to be tough to overcome.
27>34

brennser

« Reply #4702 on: July 15, 2014, 04:46:21 pm »

I am friends with with half the group on FB, and the photos of Belgium vs the image your car on the rack is going to be tough to overcome.

ha ha - busted

vansmack

« Reply #4703 on: July 15, 2014, 06:23:20 pm »

not this time. going to try and connect during my next trip in two weeks. and unless i'm at toronado, i'd rather grab a glass of wine in SF.

This.  And it's on.

Although I did once drink some beers in Toronado with Sweetcell and have had a couple bottles of wine with him in SF.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #4704 on: July 16, 2014, 09:05:05 pm »
smackie drank beer in dc last month. and not high life either!
o/\o

James Ford

« Reply #4705 on: July 21, 2014, 07:56:28 am »
An Atomic sighting???

I was in the beer section of P Street Whole Foods Friday night and this old guy asked the beer guy "Don't you guys have any Schneider Weisse? It's the king of beers." The worker told him no, and Atomic, I mean the old guy, continued to mumble aloud "You don't have any German bottles here at all. What the hell kind of store is this, anyway?"

James Ford

« Reply #4706 on: July 21, 2014, 07:57:57 am »
What the hell kind of country is this? How could Germany let this happen?
Can we bring back Atomic for some comments?

Stone to Open Production Brewery and Destination Restaurant in Berlin
 By Ben Keene

On the eve of their 18th anniversary, Stone Brewing Company revealed plans today to open a production brewery and a destination restaurant in Berlin, Germany. The news comes nearly five years after the brewery published a formal Request for Proposal. With the announcement, Stone, the 17th largest brewery in the United States, took its first step toward becoming the first American craft brewer to independently own and operate a brewery in Europe.

?It?s daunting, humbling, and exciting,? says CEO and co-founder Greg Koch. ?After years of searching and negotiating we?re opening in a beautiful historic property. And it?s in the amazing city of Berlin.?

Serving as an international hub for the growing company, the location includes three main buildings on more than two acres of land in Mariendorf, roughly six miles south of the city?s Brandenburg Gate. Anchoring the site is a distinctive red brick main hall built in 1901 by the Imperial Continental Gas Association, a British company that introduced gas lighting to Berlin in 1826. Encompassing more than 43,000 square feet of interior space, the main hall will house a farm to table restaurant, a retail store and a custom-built brewhouse when complete in late 2015 or early 2016. The two other buildings on Stone?s new gasworks property will be used for special events and to produce and package beers for distribution and consumption on site. The company expects to spend more than $25 million on renovation, construction and landscaping.

?This will be a definite boost to the local craft beer community,? Koch insists. ?We made friends with pretty much everybody and there is real interest in American craft beer here. They?ve been extremely supportive.?

And for his part, Koch sees the expansion project as a chance to extend the reach of craft beer in general. Along with a selection of their own aggressive, hop-forward beers, Koch says that Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens Berlin will offer draft and bottled beer from breweries in Germany and elsewhere in Europe. But, he adds, Stone currently has no plans to brew any traditional German styles. Instead, some of the first products to emerge from the new brewery will be part of a limited release series collectively referred to as Stone Groundbreaking Collaborations.

Sold in commemorative 1.5-liter bottles for $50 each, the collaboration beers will be available exclusively through a crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo, which the company also announced today. Proceeds will go toward expediting construction in Berlin and the company?s other expansion project East of the Mississippi.

?We?re selling futures,? explains Koch. ?Each one of the crowdfunding beers is going to be over and beyond. And once they sell out, that?s it.?

The series will launch with three products: Imperial Royal Imperial Saison du BUFF, a beer Koch describes as ?an uber version? of the Saison that Stone first released in 2010 with Victory and Dogfish Head, SPECIAL bashah, a second take on the Black Double Belgian IPA brewed once before with Scotland?s BrewDog in 2009, and Super Duper Arrogant, a Strong Ale that revisits an earlier collaboration between Stone and Birrificio Le Baladin of Italy.

For more information, visit: http://www.stonebrewing.com/berlin and http://igg.me/at/stonebrewing
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:01:36 am by James Ford »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4707 on: July 21, 2014, 08:53:05 am »
Can we bring back Atomic for some comments?
Get the hell off my messgaeboard.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #4708 on: July 21, 2014, 07:48:08 pm »

James Ford

« Reply #4709 on: July 21, 2014, 09:05:24 pm »
How many have you had?

I've had 18 of 25, with a Westy 12 sitting in the basement that will be opened 5/17/15.

http://coolmaterial.com/feature/beer-bucket-list/2/