Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243562 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5490 on: May 28, 2015, 03:18:29 pm »
Any easy access to Wicked Weed brews on the way or in the Outer Banks?

Not sure, but looking forward to the Wicked Weed events at Churchkey and City Tap House next week. Anybody hitting one of those?

Didn't see the one at City Taphouse, link? I usually go there once a week though since it's by my office.

I think the only one I'm definitely going to hit up is Meridian Pint on Thursday and maybe a Tuesday event if I can swing it.

Space Freely

« Reply #5491 on: May 28, 2015, 03:45:39 pm »
Any easy access to Wicked Weed brews on the way or in the Outer Banks?

Not sure, but looking forward to the Wicked Weed events at Churchkey and City Tap House next week. Anybody hitting one of those?

Didn't see the one at City Taphouse, link? I usually go there once a week though since it's by my office.

I think the only one I'm definitely going to hit up is Meridian Pint on Thursday and maybe a Tuesday event if I can swing it.

http://www.citytaphousedc.com/events/new-belgium-wicked-weed-tap-takeover/70

It's on Saturday 6/6, so if you're going to the actual Savor itself, might not be your best option. It has less WW taps than the Churchkey event, but probably enough to satisfy one drinker.

We'll likely do the Meridian Pint Thursday and City Tap Saturday events. Also got a Birch and Barley reservation for Wed just in case.

Space Freely

« Reply #5492 on: June 05, 2015, 08:13:42 am »
Anybody else make it to Meridian Pint yesterday? Yada?

I had five four ounce pours. In order of preference:

1. CBS
2. Bourbon Abominable
3. KBS
4. Coffee KDS
5. Regular KDS

They all paired wonderfully with a slice of bourbon pecan pie with vanilla ice cream.

Wish I had known about the event at Brookland Pint that started at 11am, the Vanilla Rye Bourbon County would have made a great lunch refreshment!

Got Haggis?

« Reply #5493 on: June 05, 2015, 09:01:19 am »
the other week I had Old Pro from Union...man, it was delicious.  it's a gose beer.  bonus for naming it after the miniature golf course company.

http://www.unioncraftbrewing.com/project/old-pro-gose/

Yada

« Reply #5494 on: June 05, 2015, 09:16:39 am »

1. CBS
2. Bourbon Abominable
3. KBS
4. Coffee KDS
5. Regular KDS

They all paired wonderfully with a slice of bourbon pecan pie with vanilla ice cream.

Wish I had known about the event at Brookland Pint that started at 11am, the Vanilla Rye Bourbon County would have made a great lunch refreshment!

Yes sir... got there right around 4pm and hung with Brennser. You must've been in and out of there in a jiffy! CBS was being poured until close to 5pm which I was quite surprised about. I had a full pour of CBS and tasters of basically all of the Fremont beers and KBS. I much prefer events at MP vs. CK.

Space Freely

« Reply #5495 on: June 05, 2015, 12:28:20 pm »

1. CBS
2. Bourbon Abominable
3. KBS
4. Coffee KDS
5. Regular KDS

Yes sir... got there right around 4pm and hung with Brennser. You must've been in and out of there in a jiffy! CBS was being poured until close to 5pm which I was quite surprised about. I had a full pour of CBS and tasters of basically all of the Fremont beers and KBS. I much prefer events at MP vs. CK.

I was downstairs from about 3-3:55. Looked for you and anybody else I might recognize as I was leaving, but didn't see anybody. I did chat with one guy who had just come from Brookland and was headed to Churchkey. He bought four full pours of Fremont beers, and left at least half a glass of each. Two of them looked like he only took a couple of sips. What a waste!

I agree regarding MP vs. CK. MP was very nice downstairs. Had my own table facing the O's game with some good tunes on....and not too crowded.

stevewizzle

« Reply #5496 on: June 05, 2015, 01:32:30 pm »
glad you guys got to try some fremont!

we had a pretty epic bottle share last night, including fremont cinnamon b-bomb, vanilla rye, cuivre, de garde special rouge, among others.  that vanilla rye is great.

medeski7

« Reply #5497 on: June 08, 2015, 12:44:46 pm »
Anyone had the Lost Rhino sours?  I'm really impressed.  I've had the farmhouse, peach and blackberry and all were excellent.  You can only buy them at the brewery.  If you're a fan of the sour stuff these are a must try.  I think they're doing sours better than anyone else locally.  Bluejacket has had a few decent ones.  They recently did a papaya gose that knocked it out of the park.

Yada

« Reply #5498 on: June 08, 2015, 03:31:43 pm »
Anyone had the Lost Rhino sours?  I'm really impressed.  I've had the farmhouse, peach and blackberry and all were excellent.  You can only buy them at the brewery.  If you're a fan of the sour stuff these are a must try.  I think they're doing sours better than anyone else locally.  Bluejacket has had a few decent ones.  They recently did a papaya gose that knocked it out of the park.

I've never had of the Lost Rhino sours, but I'll definitely check them. I feel like Blue Jacket got off to a bit of a rough start when they first opened, but the past half dozen beers I've had from there have been above average to great.

I attended Savor this weekend and I'll never miss it again. I'm not sure why I waited so many years to check it out, but I don't have one negative thing to say about the experience. It was a pretty great evening.

« Reply #5499 on: June 08, 2015, 04:16:32 pm »
^what was total cost for you?
slack

Yada

« Reply #5500 on: June 08, 2015, 04:38:15 pm »

Whatever the ticket cost was... I don't recall the exact amount, maybe $130?

« Reply #5501 on: June 08, 2015, 04:43:41 pm »

Was that the 2 day pass with the salons?
Just curious as I looked at it, but it looked really expensive
slack

Yada

« Reply #5502 on: June 08, 2015, 04:50:31 pm »

No sir, that's general admission price for one evening. Definitely a pricey evening, but based on the James Ford per oz. price of quality beer + food + a great experience, it was indeed worth the price of admission.

Space Freely

« Reply #5503 on: June 08, 2015, 05:47:44 pm »

No sir, that's general admission price for one evening. Definitely a pricey evening, but based on the James Ford per oz. price of quality beer + food + a great experience, it was indeed worth the price of admission.

Somehow I think that although you're not physically larger than me, you can make a $135 food and beer ticket worth its cost, whereas I can't.  ;D

Unsanity

« Reply #5504 on: June 09, 2015, 03:56:30 am »
Lost Rhino had the Peach sour at Total Wine. I think I got 4 bottles of it. Great stuff for sure! I tried the Avery raspberry sour as well as the Victory Sour Monkey over the weekend. Both were very good.