Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3242795 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #6735 on: April 15, 2016, 08:13:17 am »
Sour stouts are pretty rare. The Bruery's Tart of Darkness is maybe the most famous one. I love it. 3 Brothers had one that was really great as well. Mad Fox's Crazy Ivan was also soured and was quite tasty. They even bottled it. I never had the Allagash one though.

Who cares if Clutch was rated poorly by snobs. It was still a very unique and tasty beer. This new one will not be the same beer as last time anyway.

Dude, if you've had tried that many sour stouts, there's no doubt you're a beer snob yourself.  ;)

walk,on,by

« Reply #6736 on: April 15, 2016, 10:20:00 am »
every time, I read a beer advocate or other snob review of a beer I want to try . . . I get lost to the simple sentence that repeats in my brain, of if I wonder does it tastes good.  that's the only thing that matters to me.  Yes, I can find out the type of beer it is, and other minor things, but I never need the ramblings on that go in too deep, from those things.  I think beer snobs, have taken wine snobs to task, with their infinite descriptions of characters. 

Space Freely

« Reply #6737 on: April 15, 2016, 10:31:53 am »
every time, I read a beer advocate or other snob review of a beer I want to try . . . I get lost to the simple sentence that repeats in my brain, of if I wonder does it tastes good.  that's the only thing that matters to me.  Yes, I can find out the type of beer it is, and other minor things, but I never need the ramblings on that go in too deep, from those things.  I think beer snobs, have taken wine snobs to task, with their infinite descriptions of characters. 

I agree with you. But if 5000 people rate a beer and it has a Beer Advocate score of 94, and 5000 people rate a different beer in the same style category and it has a Beer Advocate score of 74, I'm 99% confident I will like the higher scoring beer better in a blind taste test. That's not snobbery, that's mathematics.

walk,on,by

« Reply #6738 on: April 15, 2016, 10:33:38 am »
math, is snobbery.

Yada

« Reply #6739 on: April 15, 2016, 10:41:00 am »

I agree with you. But if 5000 people rate a beer and it has a Beer Advocate score of 94, and 5000 people rate a different beer in the same style category and it has a Beer Advocate score of 74, I'm 99% confident I will like the higher scoring beer better in a blind taste test. That's not snobbery, that's mathematics.

what if that score of 94 is $1.73 more an ounce vs the 74 score... Which one does Space buy?

Space Freely

« Reply #6740 on: April 15, 2016, 10:48:50 am »

what if that score of 94 is $1.73 more an ounce vs the 74 score... Which one does Space buy?

I think if you took a trip to my basement, you'd be able to figure that one out. I don't think i've bought a 74 beer in a long, long time.

Though what canned/bottled beer costs $1.73+ an ounce?

How abouts you?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #6741 on: April 15, 2016, 10:55:06 am »
That's a $44 bomber.

Yada

« Reply #6742 on: April 15, 2016, 10:58:47 am »

I think if you took a trip to my basement, you'd be able to figure that one out. I don't think i've bought a 74 beer in a long, long time.

How abouts you?

Yeah... bad example... let's just say then 94 is $18 a bomber and 74 is $10 a bomber. What does space buy?

I go for the $18.

Space Freely

« Reply #6743 on: April 15, 2016, 11:02:31 am »

How abouts you?

Yeah... bad example... let's just say then 94 is $18 a bomber and 74 is $10 a bomber. What does space buy?

I go for the $18.

If it were a bomber of a sour or a barrel aged beer, I'd get the $18 94 score. Any other style of beer, I'd probably skip, as I could likely find a 94 beer for way cheaper than $18/bomber.

« Reply #6744 on: April 15, 2016, 03:35:38 pm »
speaking of $PerOz
spotted in DC today

that's $29 for the Goose
the Velvet Merkin I think was $39
I can't remember what that no label one was for $49 (it had something on the cap)
slack

Yada

« Reply #6745 on: April 15, 2016, 03:49:46 pm »
speaking of $PerOz
spotted in DC today

that's $29 for the Goose
I can't remember what that no label one was for $49 (it had something on the cap)

LOL, let me guess... that highway robbery store on P Street?? Space and I both just shat our shants.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6746 on: April 15, 2016, 03:50:40 pm »
speaking of $PerOz
spotted in DC today

that's $29 for the Goose

lemme guess: 1 West Dupont Circle Wines & Liquors?  that place, and others of its ilk, should be fire-bombed.  horrible, horrible businesses.

that no-label with something on the cap is Westvleteren XXII, AKA Westie 12.  an amazing quad, arguably the best, but not worth 5x more than other top-line belgians.
<sig>

« Reply #6747 on: April 15, 2016, 03:52:52 pm »
was on L at 19th
can't remember the name..but lots of liquor bottles in front

they had one hopslam can too
but it was 12 oz...thought they were 16oz
slack

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #6748 on: April 15, 2016, 03:58:43 pm »
speaking of $PerOz
spotted in DC today

that's $29 for the Goose

I can't even fathom what my reaction would be if one of those BCBS bottles was infected. Then again, you deserve it for buying it at such an astronomical price to begin with.

Yada

« Reply #6749 on: April 15, 2016, 04:24:08 pm »
was on L at 19th
can't remember the name..but lots of liquor bottles in front

they had one hopslam can too
but it was 12 oz...thought they were 16oz

a wise space once said, you're paying extra money for having them age it for you! and hopslam comes in 12oz.