Author Topic: The tickets are worth what they're worth  (Read 16735 times)

Celeste

Re: The tickets are worth what they're worth
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2003, 05:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Amen.

[Devil worshipper]

What happens if tickets are only availble via ticketmaster.  say if the venue does not sell its own tickets? Isnt DAR that way? [/b]
Don't go to the show...sometimes you have to make sacrifices for something you believe in

Jaguär

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2003, 05:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by jadetree:

Originally posted by jpbelmondo:
  they have press out the wazoo.
really? walk around and ask random people if they have heard of them, bet most have not [/b]
They do in the UK but I don't think they have anywhere as much here. They obviously aren't a Clear Crap or MTV sanctioned band.

ggw

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2003, 05:33:00 pm »
  Ok I have a scenario,

the white stripes annonce they are playing a 3000 seater venue in 10 weeks time.

TM decides to release all tickets on ebay. But it only releases 150 pairs of tickets every week. It does not tell people there are more tickets to be sold at the end of the first or subsequent allocations.

There will be massive demand for tickets amongst fans. Bidding wars break out and for the first three weeks people are getting gounged for over a $100 a ticket, some paying considerably more.

Is that a good way for a band to treat its fans and a good way for TM to generate money? The most ardent fans will be the ones paying the highest prices.
First, I think under the proposed plan, the band has to agree to it.

Second, of course the most ardent fans would pay the highest price, as the product has a higher value for them.

Bags

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2003, 05:34:00 pm »

Then decide..............  
I would have paid $50 to have seen the tyde the other night. It cost $7. [/b]
You had to say that, Markie, didn't you.....    :(  
 They're not playing Black Cat.  I'm so very sad.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2003, 05:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
  If someone pays $100 for White Stripes tickets I have absolutely no sympathy whatsofuckingever..they deserve to get ripped off.
just outta curiosity, since i know you are just trying to wind someone up, but have you even heard a white stripes record or seem them live?  like the happy mondays not every song the duo has recorded is a classic, but both groups put on a killer live show.
T.Rex

mankie

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2003, 05:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:

Don't go to the show...sometimes you have to make sacrifices for something you believe in [/b]
You should change your user name to "joan of arc"

markie

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2003, 05:37:00 pm »

If it becomes common practice, then bands will agree. Or "our label made us" will be heard.

there are a lot of shows that I would have paid far more than the face ticket price. Am I the only one in this situation?

Jaguär

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2003, 05:37:00 pm »

Ok I have a scenario,

the white stripes annonce they are playing a 3000 seater venue in 10 weeks time.

TM decides to release all tickets on ebay. But it only releases 150 pairs of tickets every week. It does not tell people there are more tickets to be sold at the end of the first or subsequent allocations.

There will be massive demand for tickets amongst fans. Bidding wars break out and for the first three weeks people are getting gounged for over a $100 a ticket, some paying considerably more.

Is that a good way for a band to treat its fans and a good way for TM to generate money? The most ardent fans will be the ones paying the highest prices.

Second, of course the most ardent fans would pay the highest price, as the product has a higher value for them. [/b]
And GGW comes up with his second career move of the day: TicketsByGGW.com.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2003, 05:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by jpbelmondo:

Originally posted by ggw™:

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 [qb]are the Polyphonic Spree really going to sell that many more records while on a major?  me thinks a great publist will be a better return on the money they are giving back to the record company. [/b]
Actually, as a 26-musician band, not to mention crew, the Spree requires a massive amount of tour support to be able to play gigs around the country (bus rental, hotels and meals for 30-odd people, insurance, per diems, etc.) Though there are some economies to their larger scale, I imagine this would be at least four times the amount that a standard 4-piece band would require. Their deal gives them enough money for all of them to quit their day jobs and play as much as they can.  They don't need a better publicist -- they have press out the wazoo.  What they need is an audience, and the best way for them to get that is to tour. And be in VW ads. [/b]
now it makes sense, seeing as not every indie label is going be able to front the tour support the PSpree is going to need.  So signing with a major in order to get that money is away of hedging ones bet that they can reach a bigger audience and there fore record sales by touring.  lets hope that recoup their costs via record sales and concerts to actually make money.  thanks for info!  :D
T.Rex

Jaguär

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2003, 05:40:00 pm »

If it becomes common practice, then bands will agree. Or "our label made us" will be heard.

there are a lot of shows that I would have paid far more than the face ticket price. Am I the only one in this situation? [/b]
Which would have been more than offset by how many shows that I would have MISSED if they had cost me anymore.

markie

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2003, 05:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by bags:
  You had to say that, Markie, didn't you.....     :(  

sorry strike that then.

<rose tinted post for bags only> I would have given $50 to have seen the tyde, but I would have been terribly dissappointed if I had <rose tinted post for bags only>

jadetree

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2003, 05:41:00 pm »
  there are a lot of shows that I would have paid far more than the face ticket price. Am I the only one in this situation?
I can't think of a show that I would pay more than $100 for and not very many I would pay over $50 for, unless there were lots of acts involved.

mankie

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2003, 05:41:00 pm »

[QB]there are a lot of shows that I would have paid far more than the face ticket price. Am I the only one in this situation? [/b]
There are some shows I was willing to pay scalper prices but always got lucky and managed to find some poor chump with a spare ticket available or something.

I never have, but have been prepared to. That's why I'm saying if you pay it stop yer whinging.

markie

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2003, 05:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Which would have been more than offset by how many shows that I would have MISSED if they had cost me anymore.
Oh I doubt it. Some shows I would have paid a lot for. Take the high strung or Cinerama or Lambchop.

markie

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2003, 05:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by jadetree:
   I would pay over $50 for, unless there were lots of acts involved.
how about GBV or Dandy Warhols?