Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243083 times)

Sieve-Fisted

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2730 on: June 04, 2013, 01:03:31 pm »
I think it's every Saturday while supplies last from most recent batch last.

I must admit I was disappointed with the PieTasters Choice Dopplebock. Once you've had the Ayinger and Andescher dopplebocks (Heil Germany!), maybe anything else is lacking in comparison.

Anybody know where I can get the Penn Quarter Porter or El Hefe in cans, other than the brewery? Are they going to have those out on a regular basis?

I've seen Penn Quarter at Rodman's in DC and Connecticut Avenue Wine in Dupont Circle.

atomicfront

« Reply #2731 on: June 05, 2013, 08:01:32 am »
Of course you didn't know. You're far more interested in sharing your vast knowledge of beer than you are of reading the ravings of the fringe beer drinkers of the world.

Like I knew you were a bunch of lunatics who travel to Vermont to pick up a couple of cases of beer.  

I dont' read your opinions on beer because they are not your own.  If I wanted to know your opinions I could just read beer advocates average ratings. 

atomicfront

« Reply #2732 on: June 05, 2013, 08:03:17 am »
Go on vacation in Germany and Belgium with a four year old, and fuck yeah it's going to be about the beer. It aint gonna be about museums or long hikes in the Alps, because that shit doesn't happen with a four year old in tow. (And it aint gonna be about the food when you're vegetarian.)

And the sad thing is you probably visited Germany for the beer.  Which I am clearly not doing.

YOu are a vegetarian?  Isn't 55 too old to have a 4 year old?  Sounds like fun though taking a 4 year old to the beer gardens.  I will be visiting the art museums, hiking in the alps, visiting relatives, touring castles.  Sucks to be you.

James Ford

« Reply #2733 on: June 05, 2013, 08:46:34 am »
I'm 46, vegetarian for about 15 of those. One kid who is turning six this month.

Actually, it was quite fun taking our daughter to beer gardens. The Hirschgarten had a petting zoo, multiple playgrounds, plenty of space to run around and be free, and plenty of German kids to play with.

We also went to Legoland for a day, did some light hiking (five miles and less), drove through the Black Forest, roamed the streets of Munich, Freiburg, Bruges, Ghent and Amsterdam (wife inhaled, I didn't), drank good beer in Germany and Holland, great beer in Belgium. We did go to the Van Gogh museum, though my daughter seems to prefer modern art over than post-Impressionism. The weather was perfect, just one rainstorm in two weeks, and that was in the midst of a drive.

All in all, best family vacation ever. Both wife and daughter agree. We'll leave the castle tours to the tourists, hike the Alps when she's a little older, and thankfully never have to waste time in a European vacation visiting any of our boring relatives.

Go on vacation in Germany and Belgium with a four year old, and fuck yeah it's going to be about the beer. It aint gonna be about museums or long hikes in the Alps, because that shit doesn't happen with a four year old in tow. (And it aint gonna be about the food when you're vegetarian.)

And the sad thing is you probably visited Germany for the beer.  Which I am clearly not doing.

YOu are a vegetarian?  Isn't 55 too old to have a 4 year old?  Sounds like fun though taking a 4 year old to the beer gardens.  I will be visiting the art museums, hiking in the alps, visiting relatives, touring castles.  Sucks to be you.

atomicfront

« Reply #2734 on: June 05, 2013, 08:53:20 am »

We'll leave the castle tours to the tourists,

and thankfully never have to waste time in a European vacation visiting any of our boring relatives.

Hello!! You were a tourist!

Sorry your relatives are so boring.

shemptiness

« Reply #2735 on: June 05, 2013, 09:03:48 am »
A flip-flop on the flip-top

"What changed is the quality of the can lining,? explained Koch of his about-face. ?Beer used to pick up a solvent-like character from the solvent-based linings. Now they use water-based linings.?

What?s more, ?the new linings are more flexible,? he contends, less likely to tear and allow the beer to come into contact with metal. ?They?ve proven out, but I wanted to make sure. They crossed a threshold two years ago.?

James Ford

« Reply #2736 on: June 05, 2013, 09:10:37 am »
We went to Hofbrau Haus, you can't get more touristy than that. But we went in an ironic, mocking way. And drank their mediocre beer while laughing at the singers in lederhosen.

IMO, castles are better in pictures than in person.

We'll leave the castle tours to the tourists,

and thankfully never have to waste time in a European vacation visiting any of our boring relatives.

Hello!! You were a tourist!

Sorry your relatives are so boring.

stevewizzle

« Reply #2737 on: June 05, 2013, 09:20:21 am »
glad we're continuing where we left on Monday with you two.  i was concerned yesterday with all that actual beer talk.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2738 on: June 05, 2013, 09:57:27 am »
brennser rules.
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #2739 on: June 05, 2013, 10:03:06 am »
all hail king henry brennser

atomicfront

« Reply #2740 on: June 05, 2013, 10:10:51 am »
A flip-flop on the flip-top

"What changed is the quality of the can lining,? explained Koch of his about-face. ?Beer used to pick up a solvent-like character from the solvent-based linings. Now they use water-based linings.?

What?s more, ?the new linings are more flexible,? he contends, less likely to tear and allow the beer to come into contact with metal. ?They?ve proven out, but I wanted to make sure. They crossed a threshold two years ago.?

Why not just use glass?  Glass gives no taste to beer and needs no lining.  Who knows what the health effect of the lining will be?  Cans are cheaper and that is why they are using them.  Unless you are in an area that doesn't allow bottles I see no reason anyone would want cans.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2741 on: June 05, 2013, 10:56:18 am »
as i already wrote:

Canned beer?  Really?  You buy canned beer? Obviously it will taste like crap. 

cans are an excellent packaging for beer.  they are superior to bottles in several ways: more airtight (caps leak), 100% protection from light (glass let light through, even brown bottles), etc. 

<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #2742 on: June 05, 2013, 11:08:30 am »
as i already wrote:

Canned beer?  Really?  You buy canned beer? Obviously it will taste like crap. 

cans are an excellent packaging for beer.  they are superior to bottles in several ways: more airtight (caps leak), 100% protection from light (glass let light through, even brown bottles), etc. 

I have never had a bottle leak.  Unless you keep the beer in sun you have nothing to worry about from UV.  Just marketing reasons to get you to save them  money. 

Yada

« Reply #2743 on: June 05, 2013, 11:09:30 am »
all atomicfront's posts are null and void.

Great news from a great brewery.

http://beerpulse.com/2013/06/surly-brewing-co-on-pace-to-grow-production-by-nearly-50-in-2013-video-548/

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2744 on: June 05, 2013, 11:21:27 am »
I have never had a bottle leak.  Unless you keep the beer in sun you have nothing to worry about from UV.  Just marketing reasons to get you to save them  money. 

you really like putting your ignorance on display, don't you?

florescent lights - like the ones they have in most warehouses & retailer - can damage beer.  in fact if you've ever had a light-struck beer it was likely cause by fluorescent lights.  and a number of your beloved german breweries ship their product in green bottles - bad move.

and caps don't leak as in letting all the liquid out, they can make imperfect seals that allow air to get in.  this is problem for long-term storage (not that you do that with your lagers...)  air = oxidation = off-flavors, not that i suspect you'd be able to pick up on an oxidized beer.
<sig>