Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243233 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4140 on: January 23, 2014, 11:29:10 am »
Ironically, I'm planning on going on two of the tours on that list this year. And could go on two more in my travels but will choose to skip.

And the best brewery tour in America is....

http://www.tripadvisor.com/PressCenter-i4153-c1-Press_Releases.html

Really? Really? And $25 for a brewery tour (only $10 if you're under 21!!!). Are you shitting me?

it's a travel site, not a beer geek site.  they don't care about the beer, they care about the destination and the entertainment value of the tour.  although they make dreadfully boring beers, i've been told by several folks that a tour of a BMC brewery is pretty interesting.  it's huge, it's mechanized, they have big shiny tanks, they have spent money on making the tour "an experience", etc.  the beer itself likely doesn't figure in their rankings.

stevewizzle

« Reply #4141 on: January 23, 2014, 11:52:55 am »
wine tasting in napa saturday, and russian river brewery on sunday

Go to San Francisco in the fall and this is my exact itinerary, though i may hit Lagunitas as well.

Anything else in the bay area worth a visit?

we debated on lagunitas, but i hear mixed reviews. if you're up in the area, i would say why not, but if you're on a time crunch - RR brew pub was fantastic and i would say it's a cant miss.

i'm not well versed in the vineyards, but if you need any recommendations my SO has been to a ton. 

and book your dinner reservation well in advance for SF! we tried to get into flour + water three months in advance and it was booked.  we ended up doing delfina instead, which was fantastic.

fatskippy

« Reply #4142 on: January 23, 2014, 12:03:12 pm »
I would try to avoid Russian River on the weekend if you can. It was incredibly crowded when I was there on a Saturday afternoon. We almost just turned around when we saw how crowded, 45 minute wait for a flight of tasters, etc.

I really liked Toronado, only negative was cash only.

stevewizzle

« Reply #4143 on: January 23, 2014, 12:11:26 pm »
I would try to avoid Russian River on the weekend if you can. It was incredibly crowded when I was there on a Saturday afternoon. We almost just turned around when we saw how crowded, 45 minute wait for a flight of tasters, etc.

I really liked Toronado, only negative was cash only.

ah, good call. if you do go, get there real early.  we were there at 1130, and there were very few seats left, and within 15 minutes, there was a good amount of people standing behind the bar.

Yada

« Reply #4144 on: January 23, 2014, 01:24:22 pm »
If your sole purpose is to drink Pliny, I had it here (http://www.bendersbar.com) last summer... It was kind of a punk rock/dive with similar surly service to Toronado but it could save you a trip depending on where you're hanging out.

I'll second that Flour and Water was an outrageous dining experience...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:19:20 pm by Yada »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4145 on: January 23, 2014, 01:53:20 pm »

Yada

« Reply #4146 on: January 23, 2014, 02:19:47 pm »
http://www.jackthreads.com/sales/game-day-drinking-ft-bottle-koozies/12696

check these neat things out

Those will look great covering your bottle of Mexican Coke Deer Park.  :o :o :o :o
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:28:35 pm by Yada »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4147 on: January 23, 2014, 02:20:52 pm »
i dont drink soda, either.  i only drink water.

James Ford

« Reply #4148 on: January 23, 2014, 03:40:09 pm »
Nice article on Hill Farmstead in the New York Times today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/19/business/craft-beer-the-very-limited-edition.html?_r=1

Yada

« Reply #4149 on: January 23, 2014, 03:42:21 pm »
Nice article on Hill Farmstead in the New York Times today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/19/business/craft-beer-the-very-limited-edition.html?_r=1

I just read that earlier...looking forward to another trip up there this summer hopefully.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #4150 on: January 23, 2014, 11:00:20 pm »
Thanks to wizzle, skippy and yada for the tips!

Will do our vineyard and brewery stuff during the week. I've had Pliny before and wanted to try some other stuff. Lagunitas isn't a must - do but will squeeze it in if it's on my way.

Dive bar recommendations appreciated. Ate at Slanted Door last go round, guess I need to step up my game?

« Reply #4151 on: January 23, 2014, 11:25:34 pm »

Dive bar recommendations appreciated. Ate at Slanted Door last go round, guess I need to step up my game?

Specs' Twelve Adler Museum Cafe
Wild side west cafe

I really liked Toronado,
this place is hands down my favorite beer bar and the best part is next door is Rosamunde Sausage Grill

Pi is another good beer bar
slack

Yada

« Reply #4152 on: January 24, 2014, 05:52:10 pm »
Anyone going to 3 Stars on Sunday?

stevewizzle

« Reply #4153 on: January 24, 2014, 09:25:13 pm »
this place is hands down my favorite beer bar and the best part is next door is Rosamunde Sausage Grill

Pi is another good beer bar

which u can bring into toronado, which i did, and enjoyed it with a pliny.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4154 on: January 24, 2014, 10:50:26 pm »
Anyone going to 3 Stars on Sunday?

what's going on there on sunday?  they're usually closed so i assume some special event.  i've looked around and couldn't find any mention...

i might be there tomorrow (saturday), or my buddy will go for me.  3 Stars has hooked up some local homebrewers with a deal on bulk grain. we'll be picking up the malt in the morning.  an exceptionally cool move on their part.  3 Stars' support of the the homebrewing community has been incredible.  thank you 3 Stars!
<sig>