Author Topic: Maybe we should just impeach Trump  (Read 66630 times)

Re: Maybe we should just impeach Trump
« Reply #315 on: January 08, 2021, 10:04:53 am »
looking more and more like this will happen
I think they should make the senate return now (apparently they are off until the 19th)

Sad, but makes me sleep better
Trump's national security team has begun operating as if he weren’t the president, but rather a guy in the White House who needs to be carefully managed,
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 10:07:34 am by Storm-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

hutch

« Reply #316 on: January 08, 2021, 10:07:29 am »
They need to not so much impeach as REMOVE from office

If they impeach they better have the votes to remove and an agreement to do it quickly

A lot of traitorous republicans aren’t going to go for it and inauguration is right around the corner

« Reply #317 on: January 08, 2021, 03:35:11 pm »
apparently, if you impeach BEFORE inauguration, you can have a senate trial AFTER inauguration.
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #318 on: January 08, 2021, 03:52:56 pm »
apparently, if you impeach BEFORE inauguration, you can have a senate trial AFTER inauguration.
For what possible purpose? Sanction him to be unable to run again?
LVMH

« Reply #319 on: January 08, 2021, 03:55:38 pm »
that and a public trial to prosecute him on crimes and soil his legacy for generations

Biden’s answer on impeachment. He says it’s up to congress to determine whether the president should be impeached. “I’m going to do my job and congress can decide how to proceed with their’s.”
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 04:05:52 pm by Very Special-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

hutch

Space Freely

« Reply #321 on: January 08, 2021, 04:54:50 pm »
What would impeaching him accomplish at this point, especially if it's after his term is over?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #322 on: January 08, 2021, 05:08:09 pm »
What would impeaching him accomplish at this point, especially if it's after his term is over?

^ this.  also, generally to admonish/shame him as being the only president to have ever been impeached twice.  he was outraged at the first one, can't wait to hear about his reaction to doubling up.

reminder: by the time this will hit the senate, the Dems will be in control.  should they follow through, we won't have to worry about DJ-T in 2024.  i'll take it.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #323 on: January 08, 2021, 05:15:00 pm »
But you need two thirds of senate to remove or 16 Republicans

« Reply #324 on: January 08, 2021, 05:19:56 pm »
hence my nom de plume earlier today of 67 votes-hatch ...so I think you need 17, but whos counting
slack

« Reply #325 on: January 08, 2021, 05:22:32 pm »
Jules...your twin is proposing a good legislation

Joaquin Castro
@JoaquinCastrotx
In addition to supporting the impeachment and removal of Donald Trump, I am also preparing legislation that would prohibit any federal building or property from being named after President Donald J. Trump.
President Trump incited an insurrection that damaged some our nation’s most significant and sacred federal property.
Most importantly - let us learn from our past.

Donald Trump should never become a future generation’s confederate symbol.
slack

vansmack

« Reply #326 on: January 08, 2021, 05:24:58 pm »
I still don't believe it's a wise idea, but given the struggle for control of the Republican party before the 2024 election, I could see the possibility, albeit very remote, that there are perhaps 17 Republican Senators who would play along, especially if they weren't up for re-election until 2024 or 2026.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #327 on: January 08, 2021, 05:25:36 pm »
But you need two thirds of senate to remove or 16 Republicans

aside: they would need to pick off 17 GOP senators. Dems have 50 but Kamila only gets to vote in the case of a 50-50 tie.  as soon as the vote becomes 51-49 (without her vote), she has to sit on the sidelines.  so 2/3 = 67, AKA 50 + 17.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #328 on: January 08, 2021, 05:29:26 pm »
especially if they weren't up for re-election until 2024 or 2026.

and they don't have 2024 presidential aspirations.  you'd think that cruz would be the first in line to deep-6 DJ-T and clear his path of an unbeatable rival, but he needs - and craves - that trumpastic base.  so he'll pretend to defend the soon-to-be-ex-prez while secretly hoping that enough other GOPers will join in.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #329 on: January 08, 2021, 05:38:36 pm »
and they don't have 2024 presidential aspirations. 

Yes and no.  A large percentage of Trumps base were not Republicans before and only voted for him as the anti-establishment candidate.  They merely identified with the Republicans because he was the Republican nominee.  It is unclear what they do in future elections if he were not on the ballot (or Trump backed candidates).  There could be some that could see this an opportunity to take the party back from Trump's influence and could see a non-Trump aligned candidate for President as being a strong position (not saying I agree with this, but it is a conceivable strategy).     
27>34