Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1314905 times)

K8teebug

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #1440 on: June 18, 2015, 11:44:12 am »
I love Neko Case. I saw her with Martha Wainwright at the club and it was one of my favorite shows.

you saw Martha live . . . so jelly right now.

She was also very nice. Got to talk with her for a bit afterwards.

gavroche

« Reply #1441 on: June 18, 2015, 12:28:50 pm »
Glad it was fun! Should have warned you about meat is murder.

I knew it was coming.  I was actually surprised by tame it was for the first 2 minutes, but then it just got gruesome.  There is a reason that states are trying to make it illegal to take pictures of CAFO's, it's really disturbing what we do and it's not a bad thing to see, even if it is uncomfortable.

Yada

« Reply #1442 on: June 18, 2015, 01:50:04 pm »
I went to Moz at echo stage last night and had a surprisingly good time.  I ended up getting my tickets for a little less than $25 each on the secondary market.  Echostage was horrible to get to from the city without a car.  We were going to take the D2 but it never showed up and we got nervous so we ended up taking the metro to NOMA and then the shuttle (which was basically a school bus).  As a result we didn't get to go to Panda Gourmet.  We got to NOMA about 7:00 and were in front of echostage about 7:40 with a line wrapping all the way around the block.  It moved ok and were in just after 8:00.  I ended up about 1/3 of the way up front on the floor.  Site was actually decent for a venue that big and there was decent room to move around.  Sound was a little echoie but not bad.  Moz was everything I expected, and a little bit more.  There was a moment where he caught a flower mid flight without breaking his note that was hilarious.  Really gruesome screen graphics during meat is murder as well.  I didn't have any problems with the place being too warm, in fact I was under a vent and freezing until I was able to move up a bit.  I was fortunately to be able to snag a ride to the metro on the way out though and not have to deal with that shuttle business. Echo stage is a major commitment for people like me who don't drive.

You should've splurged for that $7 Uber ride and split it between your friends.

gavroche

« Reply #1443 on: June 18, 2015, 02:16:30 pm »
I went to Moz at echo stage last night and had a surprisingly good time.  I ended up getting my tickets for a little less than $25 each on the secondary market.  Echostage was horrible to get to from the city without a car.  We were going to take the D2 but it never showed up and we got nervous so we ended up taking the metro to NOMA and then the shuttle (which was basically a school bus).  As a result we didn't get to go to Panda Gourmet.  We got to NOMA about 7:00 and were in front of echostage about 7:40 with a line wrapping all the way around the block.  It moved ok and were in just after 8:00.  I ended up about 1/3 of the way up front on the floor.  Site was actually decent for a venue that big and there was decent room to move around.  Sound was a little echoie but not bad.  Moz was everything I expected, and a little bit more.  There was a moment where he caught a flower mid flight without breaking his note that was hilarious.  Really gruesome screen graphics during meat is murder as well.  I didn't have any problems with the place being too warm, in fact I was under a vent and freezing until I was able to move up a bit.  I was fortunately to be able to snag a ride to the metro on the way out though and not have to deal with that shuttle business. Echo stage is a major commitment for people like me who don't drive.

I doubt it's a $7 ride, but you are right it probably wouldn't have been too much more expensive then the cost of the metro for the three of us.  My friends who gave me a ride out paid $20 for parking, which seemed ridiculous to me as well.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1444 on: June 18, 2015, 02:57:21 pm »
18 songs?  How long was the show? an hour?

http://bandwidth.wamu.org/photos-review-morrissey-dc-echostage/
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 02:59:36 pm by Vas Deferens »
(_|_)

« Reply #1445 on: June 18, 2015, 03:07:41 pm »

I doubt it's a $7 ride, but you are right it probably wouldn't have been too much more expensive then the cost of the metro for the three of us.  My friends who gave me a ride out paid $20 for parking, which seemed ridiculous to me as well.

can't believe we are still talking about parking at the echo stage!
I just drove over that hillbridge past the ES and there was parking all over the place
I was shocked it was $30 to park across the street
slack

gavroche

« Reply #1446 on: June 18, 2015, 04:11:32 pm »
18 songs?  How long was the show? an hour?

http://bandwidth.wamu.org/photos-review-morrissey-dc-echostage/

Show was supposed to start at 8:00 but didn't start until 8:30.  It was done a couple minutes after 10:00.

gavroche

« Reply #1447 on: June 18, 2015, 04:12:50 pm »

can't believe we are still talking about parking at the echo stage!
I just drove over that hillbridge past the ES and there was parking all over the place
I was shocked it was $30 to park across the street

I took the shuttle; next time I'm going to walk from Rhode Island Ave.

shemptiness

« Reply #1448 on: June 18, 2015, 04:14:25 pm »
What's a hillbridge?  And what ES?

« Reply #1449 on: June 18, 2015, 04:44:17 pm »
What's a hillbridge?  And what ES?
ok that's an odd one: hillbridge = if you keep going past echostage about two blocks there is a bridge that goes over train tracks...its pretty steep and looks like a hill

ES=EchoStage...that one seemed pretty clear
slack

shemptiness

« Reply #1450 on: June 18, 2015, 05:43:57 pm »
Ah.  I parked in the 1818 lot and didn't venture over the hillbridge.  And when I read 'ES' I saw 'elementary school.' 

Great to hear Suedehead and What She Said.  I wasn't overwhelmed by the setlist or the venue.  Bathroom attendants scare me, so I'm not sure how long that men's room actually is.  And a kid walked up to the bar and asked for a beer list.   

hutch

« Reply #1451 on: June 18, 2015, 06:03:23 pm »
at the Replacements the parking lot in front of Echostage asked me for $40 to park

FORTY!

poor guy...i let him have it...:)

« Reply #1452 on: June 18, 2015, 09:28:52 pm »
at the Replacements the parking lot in front of Echostage asked me for $40 to park

FORTY!

poor guy...i let him have it...:)

man where is a kid with a cell phone camera when you need it
I would have paid to see that
slack

bearman🐻

« Reply #1453 on: June 28, 2015, 01:39:53 pm »
Went to see Rush last night in Newark. Overall thoughts:

1) Really great show, but not stellar. When the band came together, they were outstanding. But that only made the moments that felt a little weaker kind of disappointing. For as great as "Tom Sawyer" is, I'm not sure a recent live version has ever matched the velocity and intricacy of the recording. But then "Camera Eye" sounded as good as the original. The encore in particular was only great when Peart went for it on "Working Man". "Anthem" was abbreviated and felt too truncated. "What You're Doing" never really came together either, which was disappointing. That being said, the highlight of the evening for me was "Xanadu" which was flawless. It's just a stunning piece of music. "Losing It" was gorgeous, and "Jacob's Ladder" is also a gem. "Subdivisions" sounded incredible too. The sound in the Prudential Center was fairly decent. I had never seen a show there before.

2) The band definitely had a few moments where they seemed/felt tired and over it. I realize it's hard to muster constant enthusiasm during a 3-hour show, and there are a ton of moving parts to a Rush show. Lifeson in particular seemed to be going through the motions the most, but his playing was technically great. I think it must be a ton of pressure to make sure you nail every single note, solo, drum fill, etc. for the legion of air drummers/guitarists. Geddy Lee did a fine job, Peart was still pretty much the anchor though. He would throw up sticks and catch them and do twirls. On occasion he'd crack a half smile.

3) My few minor disappointments aside, I actually loved the overall theme and the idea of doing a setlist in reverse chronological. I don't think I've ever seen a band do that before, and it pretty much worked. I think the fans enjoyed it, but there was sort of a sad and depressing vibe when it was over. 40 years of history, hard work, incredible output and by the end it's like "well...bye". I am sure that in a perfect world they'd keep going, but I get a feeling this was it for them. After all those years of performing and touring, they're ready to pack it up and that was definitely the theme. They had guys in red jump suits that would come on stage to keep packing things up and moving items around throughout the show.

4) I saw one of my better "wow, did I really just see that?" moments. The guy right in front of me was absolutely hammered. Well into his 50's and clearly trying to re-live his youth with his 2 buds. About 4 songs in his wobbly dancing became increasingly erratic and then he just plopped down. He didn't move for the remaining 2+ hours. During the intermission he muttered something about not feeling well and the reactions of his friends was pretty much "ah, that's a drag". Then they went back to partying. They made sure he was breathing but that was about it. He was absolutely wrecked. Good times.

gavroche

« Reply #1454 on: June 29, 2015, 09:13:40 am »
I went to Torres last night at DC9 and quite enjoyed her set.  DC9 is still a really weird space, but I was right in front so it didn't really matter and the sound was fine for drone folk.  They actually had a projector screen on the side of the stage, which I'd never seen, and I think a new sound system as well (though I've only been there a couple of times).  Guitar went out on Strange Hello's and Torres was a bit confused about what to do... but ended up just dropping the guitar (there was a second guitarist in stage), and belting out the lyrics.  She made a half hearted attempt to smash, but it's good that she didn't actually smash it because it was just a cord and she needed it for the rest of the show.

Torres has a very charismatic intensity and I really love her newest album. One of my favorite shows of the year by far, but I really like the drone folk thing.