Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1314034 times)

K8teebug

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #1710 on: October 09, 2015, 12:11:44 pm »
Modest Mouse at the Black Cat (2000 or 2001),
I thought that show was amazing.

EDIT: To be fair, a quick search shows they played Black Cat 4 times in 2000 or 2001 so it's entirely probable we are referencing different shows.

I went to the new Black Cat, right after they moved. I think it was the first show. I heard the other show was great. He showed up on stage and said "I'm drunk" and proceeded to just slur everything.

K8teebug

« Reply #1711 on: October 09, 2015, 12:12:28 pm »
cat power solo at ottobar?  was it touring behind the Covers album?

Modest Mouse at the Black Cat (2000 or 2001), Cat Power at Ottobar (2001/2002ish), Elliott Smith at 930 (same). Those are my worst.

Solo. Touring behind You Are Free. She didn't finish a song.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1712 on: October 09, 2015, 12:13:01 pm »
the national @ 930... forget when exactly.  2007?  they were the middle of the bill, forget who the headliner was. 

i do remember bumping into brennser on the steps leading to the upper bar and commiserating on how awful they were.
Oh man, that's surprising. Miss P and I were supposed to go to that but a friend of mine died in a car crash like a day before. :(
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #1713 on: October 09, 2015, 12:48:30 pm »
Modest Mouse at the Black Cat (2000 or 2001), Cat Power at Ottobar (2001/2002ish), Elliott Smith at 930 (same). Those are my worst.

What do you remember about Elliott Smith being so bad? I didn't think it was awful at all. I have a DVD of him performing live at Trees in Dallas on the same tour and it was a great show. I remember it being in the same vein.

Space Freely

« Reply #1714 on: October 09, 2015, 01:35:26 pm »
Broken Social Scene @ Black Cat. WORSE SHOW EVER!

Funny thing about that is that I've actually come to like them since I started listening to their music.

K8teebug

« Reply #1715 on: October 09, 2015, 01:42:56 pm »

What do you remember about Elliott Smith being so bad? I didn't think it was awful at all. I have a DVD of him performing live at Trees in Dallas on the same tour and it was a great show. I remember it being in the same vein.

He seemed messed up really badly. The crowd booed. One of the guys in the band said "well, he's playing with the band tonight, alright?" It was not good.

For the record, I don't hold it against him. He's still one of my favorites.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #1716 on: October 09, 2015, 02:03:44 pm »
good writeup of chamelons vox.  I probably agree with Vas about the 'one move' haha...run in place.  but they sounded good.  I liked what I heard of the band before them as well, kind of gothy.  The crowd was definitely interesting.  Mix of goth / new wave / post punk young and old.  I left the show early because I could not deal with the heat.  It probably didn't help that I wore a jacket.

Kubacheck

« Reply #1717 on: October 10, 2015, 02:16:07 am »
.......I'm going to the Boston gig and it's been sold out for some time. Hoping the Bostonians are a good crowd.  

you weren't by any chance wearing a Feelies t-shirt, were you?

Yup!

ah, well there you go, my first interaction with a boardie...... that I know of....  that was my copy of the setlist you took a photo of after the show.... while we were chatting about all things Feelies and Luna, I recall you mentioning you were going to Boston.....

That's too funny...someone said that half the audience was boardies and they were totally right!

Feelies and Luna related news: Stanley came to the Brooklyn show and sat in on "23 minutes", "Chinatown" and "Friendly Advice".... and he's a good liar, because I ran into him before the show and asked him if he was going to sit in (like Justin did when they played New Zealand last month) and he said no.... :-)

azaghal1981

« Reply #1718 on: October 10, 2015, 03:27:35 am »
Modest Mouse at MPP opening for REM.
Cat Power in early 2009 with band at the club. Joe and I went and caught Tombs and Dysrhythmia at The Velvet after and it made everything all better.
Bat for Lashes at the Club also in 2009 (just more painfully boring than anything else).
احمد

hutch

« Reply #1719 on: October 10, 2015, 08:57:22 am »
.......I'm going to the Boston gig and it's been sold out for some time. Hoping the Bostonians are a good crowd.  

Yup!

ah, well there you go, my first interaction with a boardie...... that I know of....  that was my copy of the setlist you took a photo of after the show.... while we were chatting about all things Feelies and Luna, I recall you mentioning you were going to Boston.....

That's too funny...someone said that half the audience was boardies and they were totally right!

Feelies and Luna related news: Stanley came to the Brooklyn show and sat in on "23 minutes", "Chinatown" and "Friendly Advice".... and he's a good liar, because I ran into him before the show and asked him if he was going to sit in (like Justin did when they played New Zealand last month) and he said no.... :-)

awesome... he's quite a drummer....

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #1720 on: October 10, 2015, 10:03:03 am »
That'd be a good thread. Biggest musical turd. My vote would be for Betty, I saw them open for the B-52's at Wolf Trap.

I do miss band member Alyson Palmer tending bar at F St. She was quite the distraction.

Alyson was great.  She was probably my first favorite bartender.  8)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #1721 on: October 10, 2015, 10:05:45 am »
the national @ 930... forget when exactly.  2007?  they were the middle of the bill, forget who the headliner was. 

i do remember bumping into brennser on the steps leading to the upper bar and commiserating on how awful they were.

2004 maybe?  The Walkmen/The National/Weird War.   I thought they were fine (but Weird War was better.)  That's the show after which my ears rang for 2 days and I decided I was no longer too cool to wear earplugs.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:30:45 am by Bombay Chutney »

bearman🐻

« Reply #1722 on: October 11, 2015, 07:46:29 am »

Yup!

So funny, I saw Boston last night and was worried it'd be a letdown after that. Somehow the band performed even better. The sold-out crowd was rowdy & very animated & the band seemed to glow in the attention. Hardcore Luna fans. Completely different setlist than DC. The sound at the 9:30 was so full and glorious but the overall performance & setlist at the Paradise was transcendent. Two totally different experiences, both outstanding. Stan is not just a true musician but a lovely guy as well. I'm bummed to have missed seeing him with them but I'm so glad they patched up their issues. Life is too short for grudges.

azaghal1981

« Reply #1723 on: October 11, 2015, 01:45:07 pm »
Assuming Damon and Naomi didn't make an appearance? They're still in Boston I think.
احمد

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1724 on: October 11, 2015, 02:16:33 pm »
Don't think they are friends.

Assuming Damon and Naomi didn't make an appearance? They're still in Boston I think.
(_|_)