Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3244872 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7935 on: February 16, 2017, 06:23:22 pm »
Downtown Crown Wine and Beer Video Feature of the Week: https://www.facebook.com/DowntownCrown/videos/635488289970940/

This Friday February 17th, starting at 5pm, we'll be hosting a Unibroue tap takeover and snowboard raffle! With every purchase of a Unibroue draft, growler/crowler fill, or package product, and you'll receive a raffle ticket for a chance to win an amazing Gilson/Unibroue snowboard! Retail value of $599! Must be present to win, drawing will be held that night at 7:30pm. Unibroue knows how to throw a proper party, with swag and giveaways, plus sneak peak samples of brand new Unibroue beers which have yet to hit the market! You don't want to miss this one.. See you Friday!
<sig>

shemptiness

« Reply #7936 on: February 16, 2017, 06:29:40 pm »
rar is doing a special release there Saturday the 25th

« Reply #7937 on: February 16, 2017, 10:24:05 pm »
[quote author=AmericanCarnage 🛠|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|🚀 link=topic=19630.msg460333#msg460333
They actually do Happy Hour Mon-Thurs at Old Town and Georgetown locations. Dupont is Tues and Wed only.
Didn't know that, but I'm right by dupont
always thought it was lame they didn't to it Thursdays (only because that's always a good night for work sponsored happy hours and when I get a vote... we end up there)
Keep meaning to hit the Gtown one as it's right off the bike trail

Also...was weird downtown today. 
1/3 of the restaurants were closed, strangely enough District Taco was open and packed (and delicious)
slack

Yada

« Reply #7938 on: February 17, 2017, 11:32:43 am »
When Psudeo Sue infiltrates Costco?

« Reply #7939 on: February 17, 2017, 03:48:24 pm »
looking forward to visiting penn druid this weekend
we rented a house very close for the weekend with another family

Is that a family friendly brewery?

Also some good recommendations on Hikes or fun outdoors things to do in that area

slack

Space Freely

« Reply #7940 on: February 17, 2017, 04:01:08 pm »
looking forward to visiting penn druid this weekend
we rented a house very close for the weekend with another family

Is that a family friendly brewery?

Also some good recommendations on Hikes or fun outdoors things to do in that area

Yes, it is very family friendly. It helps if you kid can tolerate psych-rock. And you can tolerate funky beers.

Old Rag is the nearby hike I always do. I took my then eight year old last Spring. It was quite challenging for her, but she had a blast rock scrambling. Probably not a good choice unless you've done some other shorter hikes with the kids, or unless the kids are older.

White Oak Canyon is another hiking favorite.

« Reply #7941 on: February 17, 2017, 04:03:50 pm »
Yes, it is very family friendly. It helps if you kid can tolerate psych-rock. And you can tolerate funky beers.
oh I love the funky stuff...don't think anyone else will
but I can them there for a beer and a growler fill :)

Old Rag is the nearby hike I always do. I took my then eight year old last Spring. It was quite challenging for her, but she had a blast rock scrambling. Probably not a good choice unless you've done some other shorter hikes with the kids, or unless the kids are older.

kids 7 and 10 are pretty nimble, taken them on the Billy goat trail
not sure if that compares in difficulty
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #7942 on: February 17, 2017, 04:33:31 pm »

I've seen seven year olds on the Old Rag hike, but I know mine wasn't ready for it at that age. Whe was nearly 9. 

Old Rag is harder than Billy Goat Trail. For three reasons.

1.  There's a huge amount of elevation gain before you even get to the rock scrambling. 2400+ feet in all.
2. It's longer. 9.1 miles if you take the loop, 7.4 miles if you do the up and back.
3. The rock scrambling is marginally harder....My kid is tall/long limbed for her age (gets it from mom, certainly not from me), so that helped.

White Oak Canyon is good because you start by hiking down. And it's a down and up hike. So you can turn around at any point. Nice if you can make it to the first waterfall though, good place to picnic.

This all reminds me, national parks are free on Monday. In honor of Lincoln, FDR, and Obama.

gavroche

« Reply #7944 on: February 20, 2017, 09:19:38 pm »

I've seen seven year olds on the Old Rag hike, but I know mine wasn't ready for it at that age. Whe was nearly 9. 

Old Rag is harder than Billy Goat Trail. For three reasons.

1.  There's a huge amount of elevation gain before you even get to the rock scrambling. 2400+ feet in all.
2. It's longer. 9.1 miles if you take the loop, 7.4 miles if you do the up and back.
3. The rock scrambling is marginally harder....My kid is tall/long limbed for her age (gets it from mom, certainly not from me), so that helped.

White Oak Canyon is good because you start by hiking down. And it's a down and up hike. So you can turn around at any point. Nice if you can make it to the first waterfall though, good place to picnic.

This all reminds me, national parks are free on Monday. In honor of Lincoln, FDR, and Obama.

I was at Copper Fox (which is right next to Penn Druid) this weekend.  Penn Druid looked like a fun place to sit out in good weather.

The other important difference between old rag and Billy Goat is that Old Rag has a lot more exposure.  Nothing that is actually dangerous, but I've learned from experience that it can definitely be tough for anyone afraid of heights.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7945 on: February 21, 2017, 02:03:32 am »
<sig>

« Reply #7946 on: February 21, 2017, 07:32:29 am »
White Oak Canyon is good
Made it to WOC and it was great...fantastic hiking weather
even though it was free, I put some money in the slot

:( Penn Druid was closed on Monday when I was planning to go
slack

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #7947 on: February 21, 2017, 12:31:31 pm »
Went to Georgetown Square Wine and Beer in Bethesda for the first time and wow, it's pretty great! Got growlers of RAR Mint 10 Layer and Waredaca Cupids Curse, as well as Nanticoke Nectar that was canned on 2/16!

Turns out that they're under the same ownership as Downtown Crown, which explains why they also had cans of Manor Hill Passion Fruit (which I also bought).

FYI, for both stores you can follow what's on tap in realtime via the DigitalPour app - really nifty.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7948 on: February 21, 2017, 12:49:16 pm »
FYI, for both stores you can follow what's on tap in realtime via the DigitalPour app - really nifty.

downtown crown also has realtime tap list on their website... oh look, mosaic hennepin!

they also own Dominion Wine and Beer in Falls Church.  tap list also online.

strange that Georgetown Square doesn't have its own website.
<sig>

medeski7

« Reply #7949 on: February 24, 2017, 09:57:17 am »
Has anyone has Diamondback Beer's Hop Brothel, or anything else for that matter?  I see they're having a can release close to me and was looking for some input.