Author Topic: Club's 30th anniversary?  (Read 199715 times)

terry

Re: Club's 30th anniversary?
« Reply #540 on: June 01, 2010, 07:43:19 am »
Great show. Glad to see Henry was able to make it afterall. Clutch was one of my highlights. I've never seen them before. Wow.

Thanks Seth!

eros

« Reply #541 on: June 01, 2010, 08:13:55 am »
How did I go this long without ever seeing Clutch?  Holy crap.

What a great time.  Thanks to everyone who made it such a fun evening.  Glad I was able to meet a few boardies...Sweetcell, Bombay, and the Director.

Thanks Seth and the 930!

ʎɐʍou

shemptiness

« Reply #542 on: June 01, 2010, 08:48:00 am »
Agreed.  Clutch was amazing.  Grohl/Scream was great.  Love Keene, Mould, Marti/Don.  Seemed to me the sound improved tons when Justin Jones was on.  Nice voice, but zzzzz.  I can do without ever seeing the Pietasters again.  All in all a great night.  Thanks, Seth!

azaghal1981

« Reply #543 on: June 01, 2010, 09:24:58 am »
Thanks to everyone for all the effort it took to make this happen. Great show/time. Jaguar, re: TDU, a friend who saw them in '79 or '80 said he thought they sounded more polished last night whereas during the original run, they  were more of a no wave band.

احمد

Bags

« Reply #544 on: June 01, 2010, 09:29:37 am »
Great show, perfect sized crowd (full but there was actually lots of room to move around, not lose your friends, get a beer and come back).  Said hi to Sweetcell, Bombay and Doom.  Phillidan, I spoke to a guy I thought was you because he was belting out "Places That Are Gone" -- just so you know, there definitely was singing along going on!  Saw Smylie in his t-shirt but didn't get to say hi.

Alas I did end up missing The Fleshtones, heard good reviews.  Tommy Keene was so great, as was Mould and Scream doing Bad Brains.  I left near the end of Trouble Funk hoping I wasn't going to miss some big jamfest...it was a school night and I was beat, and happy.

Thanks to EVERYONE at the club, and I hope like hell there aren't any complaints over what was a great, well run, free show.

9:30 Forevah!

azaghal1981

« Reply #545 on: June 01, 2010, 09:39:32 am »
I did remark to a few people that the room felt comfortable throughout the night. Even at its  fullest, moving around was easy.
احمد

Sir HC

« Reply #546 on: June 01, 2010, 09:40:16 am »
Missed TDU and most of the Fleshtones because of a fire at a tire place on NY Ave.  Had that whole area gridlocked.  Still a great night, bummer on the Furs though I just saw them there last year, left before TF as friend had to get to Towson.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #547 on: June 01, 2010, 09:45:35 am »
 ;D  Had a blast last night.  Thanks again to Seth and the 930 crew.  The no-shows REALLY missed out but there were enough people there and yet plenty of elbow room.  Plus the wife finally got a cupcake.

Hard to pick a single highlight as it really was a series of highlights - Clutch, Grohl's solo Everlong & Bad Brains covers with Pete Stahl, Bob Mould's Husker/Sugar/solo set, Tommy Keene (still really, really good)...., Slickees, damn it was all really good.

Had to take a seat upstairs during the last half of T-Funk's set, tho.  My feet were killing me.

Bags

« Reply #548 on: June 01, 2010, 09:46:04 am »
Redsock, you stayed to the bitter end?  Saw you heading down to the backbar mid evening but you were too far to say hi.

Bags

« Reply #549 on: June 01, 2010, 09:47:27 am »
Hey forum peeps,  just popping into say hi and that I'm bummed to have missed out on the festivities and hanging out with together,  but just got back into town after unplanned trip.
Kosmo, I will say, it was a little wierd that you and Bearman weren't there.  We missed you!

eltee

« Reply #550 on: June 01, 2010, 09:50:14 am »
Crowded but not packed. Heard that there were a lot of no shows from people who won tix. What a bunch of donks. Their loss...
No one is more sorry than I that I had to miss - I had car issues and no way to a metro so donk that.

eltee

« Reply #551 on: June 01, 2010, 09:54:54 am »
And who knew Seth could actually play drums? crazy ...

Seth has played drums before at the club.  Previous time he played drums was at 2 or 3 a.m. in the morning May or June 2001 when Live headlined one of the days of the HFStival then was extremely late to the club coming from RFK to play a set early in the morning around 1:30 a.m.
Didn't he also join Foo Fighters a couple of years ago, and then played with the Slickees at the 25th anniv.?

andyrichter

« Reply #552 on: June 01, 2010, 09:55:10 am »
Crowded but not packed. Heard that there were a lot of no shows from people who won tix. What a bunch of donks. Their loss...
No one is more sorry than I that I had to miss - I had car issues and no way to a metro so donk that.

I had to pick up my parents at the airport but their flight got delayed a few hours.  I could've still gone but I would've probably just caught the Trouble Funk set.  Sounds like I missed a great show.

James Ford

« Reply #553 on: June 01, 2010, 09:58:14 am »
Here's my take, fwiw.

Arrived at 7:20, stood outside for 10 minutes waiting for friend. Stood close enough to Seth to overhear him as Geraldo or some other Fox personality was interviewing him outside the club. Nice green shoes, Seth. And thanks again for letting me in. :)

Didn't see any of the bands before Keene, but still feel qualified to review them. Pretty decent, the whole lot.

Went in at 7:30 to the strains of Keene. Nice to see Tommy letting his grampa play the drums. Even nicer to see the sticks ceded to Tommy's young nephew. Did the kid get a backstage lesson from Growl? Sounded good, as did the whole band. Funny, though, I always thought these guys were supposed to be a middle of the road Britpop band. They had a bit more crackle than I was expecting.

Went to Backbar for a beer, came back up, and Ian Mackaye was playing a Dave Matthew-esque tune, and he had HIS niece on drums. Joe Marshmallow (nicely clad n his very retro, brand new straight off the streets of Rockville Soul Asylum t-shirt I might add) was looking up adoringly, it really was touching. Figured I'd have a chance to talk to Joe later, but never saw him. Probably left early with the disappointed masses who only got to hear one Foo song. Right, Joe?

After a few minutes, Henry Rollins appears, and man has he let himself. Shaves his head now too, so maybe he's straightedge now. And the piercings and other body mods, nice touch Hank. Hank introduces Seth, who introduces Justin Jones as the next big thing. I'm not sure about that (this guy got the gig because he's Seth's nephew, right?), but anybody that dedicates a song to farmers is a-ok in my book.

While Jones was playing, I noticed a dork in an orange "can't miss me" Atari t-shirt with some hot eye candy on his arm. As Jones ends and the strains of Old 97's kick in, I muster up the courage to hit Sweetcell up for the beer I won in a bet five (or more?) years ago, but have never collected because our music tastes have never merged and brought us into the same room until now. Thanks again for the beer, Sweetcell. Nice to finally meet you, and your lovely wife. And folks, Vansmack was right. Sweetcell and I both lucked out in the wife department.

Then the real Henry Rollins shows up, and the fake Henry Rollins is relegated back to his local celebrity status. Henry introduces Bob Mould, and it becomes apparent that Henry's missing 30 pound of muscle has been grafted onto Bob's tummy, and it aint muscle anymore. God bless middle age.

Then Henry is back and intros Ted the leprauchaun. His set really made me hungry for some Lucky Charms...I had to settle for Golden Grahams when I got home.

Then Henry introduces the third solo middle aged white guy with guitar in a row, Dave Growl. I have to admit I can't name a single Foo song, so the idea of a bunch of bros singing along to Foos wasn't really calling out, and a 10 minute pee break was. But then a great thing happened. Dave ceded the spotlight to some guys who looked more like government workers than Dave Growl, and the game was on. Definitely one on the highlights.

Am I forgetting anyone? Was Clutch next? We went downstairs for another beer. The lovely bartendress actually must have seen me for the beer geek I was, and let me try three generous samples (unprompted) in addition to the beer I finally settled on. Very nice!

Went upstairs and heard the last Clutch song. Much better than I had anticipated.

Oh wait, Pietasters were before Clutch. Second special mystery guest of the night. American Idol champ Taylor Hicks fronting the Pietasters. They played the second best song ever about Maggie May. Side bar story: Years ago, we went to a free show by the Pietasters at one of the Fairfax parks. This local
politician, who was the wife of (then) U.S. Congressman Tom Davis, introd them and said " Ladies and Gentleman, the Piemasters!"

WAs it Trouble Funk next? They were awesome. Definitely the highlight of the night. Definitely Julian's worst nightmare. Was that Ted Leonsis not dancing up in the penalty box? He was later replaced by a rather stiff but at least dancing Barack.

I think that was it. I drove home down 395 in my 95 Saturn blasting Rod Stewart's Greatest Fucking Hits, which really capped it off. Thanks to all who made the event happen. I guess that's were the $7 Yuengling money all went.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #554 on: June 01, 2010, 09:59:53 am »
Forgot to add the wife was a little confused by my over-tipping the bar tab.  With the tix being free and all I felt it was the right thing to do.