Author Topic: Albums in 2004  (Read 49392 times)

ratioci nation

Re: Albums in 2004
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2003, 03:38:00 am »
Originally posted by El Tee:
  Isn't Nada Surf releasing a cd in early 2004?
http://www.nadasurf.com/news/index.php

"Nada Surf will begin recording Album #4 this January in Seattle. Behind the board will be labelmate/tourmate/friend/producer extraordinaire Chris Walla of Death Cab for Cutie. Fingers crossed for a Fall 2004 release. "

homeboyfromthefuture

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2003, 10:03:00 am »
i need to update it but some of you might enjoy my page which is mostly poached from other sites but has a few pieces of "exclusive info."
 http://howisya.tripod.com/f2k.html

sorry, not much indie rock on there, but you'll find something you like. for me there's a ton of good music i'm looking forward to.

ggw

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2003, 10:49:00 am »
Shouldn't Spoon be releasing another album sometime soon?

godsshoeshine

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2003, 10:53:00 am »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  I hope to hear a new Fugazi album in 2004, or at least a word on what they're up to as a band.  I know Sonic Youth is coming out with a new one, but that's nothing this board will get all giddy about;)
i'm stoked. hopefully a tour will follow...
o/\o

ratioci nation

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2003, 11:35:00 am »
Originally posted by ggw?:
  Shouldn't Spoon be releasing another album sometime soon?
oh yeah, I forgot, John Vanderslice's web site use to say that Spoon was going in to his studio to record their next album, but I don't see it any more and www.spoontheband.com is down, breaking up? or web problems?

brennser

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2003, 12:21:00 pm »
The Charlatans should have a new one out in 04 as well

Moon Mullen

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2003, 12:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by homeboyfromthefuture:
  i need to update it but some of you might enjoy my page which is mostly poached from other sites but has a few pieces of "exclusive info."
  http://howisya.tripod.com/f2k.html

sorry, not much indie rock on there, but you'll find something you like. for me there's a ton of good music i'm looking forward to.
Yeah, you do have to update that list. But I am looking forward to DJ Premier, Pete Rock, and Mum. Possibly even Portishead.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2004, 07:55:00 pm »
I feel compelled to mention that Idlewild has a new album coming out in 2004... I'm also looking forward to many that have already been listed(Liars, Charlatans, Doves, etc).

Yank

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2004, 06:06:00 am »
Here are a couple reviews from the Jan. 3rd NME that some may find interesting:

The Coral - Nightfreak And The Son Of Becker

After a year overflowing with the surreal (Blaine in a box; sudden rugby 'mania'; the rise of The Darkness) it seems only fitting that 2004 should kick off with the unscheduled arrival of a third album from The Coral.  Sounding like it was recorded in a leaky cowshed over a week in Wales (which, as it turns out, it was), and so called thanks to the sprog-creating conquests of teutonic tennis bore Boris, 'Nightfreak And The Sons Of Becker' is a low-key classic from a group grappling with the demands of fame.

Bearing more than a passing simlarity to the Super Furries' genius tossed-off 'Mwng' and clearly intended as a means of clearing the band's creative tubes prior to their third album 'proper', it provides an insight into the mindset of a band who've gone from BMX-riding curios to the oddest residents of the Top Ten for years.  Be warned though, those expecting the radio-friendly jangle of 'Pass It On' should approach with caution. 'Nightfreak...' sees the Hoylake Six reject the gloss that made 'Magic And Medicine' feel, at times, like a fizzy glug of Coral-lite, and return to the darker grog of their debut.

Paranoia stalks every chorus: 'I Forgot My Name' is a bad-tempered rockabilly rumble which ends in a burble of TV static; the fearsome 'Migraine' ("I got to parties and I just freeze/I think I'm infected with a social disease") takes the rattle of 'Talkin' Gypsy Market Blues' and hardwares it to a gnarled terrace chorus; and the priceless 'Auntie's Operation' ("She'll want your sympathy/She'll never let you be/Sniffing at your food/Before it's even chewed) manages to make light of domestic strife and sum up the parlous state of the NHS all in two minutes and 23 seconds.  The contrary spirits of everyone from The Kinks to The Specials must be looking down from the heavens approvingly.

Pop songs emerge from the murk.  'Sorrow Or The Song' is a gloomy, funkier cousin of 'Don't Think You're The First'.  'Venom Cable' reprised the limescaled disco shuffle of the outro to 'Skeleton Key', and 'Song Of The Corn' manages to include the lines "I hard a commotion one late afternoon/Someone was singing a funeral tune" and still sound like Radio 2 fodder.

Things inevitably go off the boil.  A funny-at-the-time 'Why Does The Sun Come Up?" is a stoned interlude inspired by their US tour habit of recording random snippets of cable TV, and 'Precious Eyes' and a final 'Lover's Paradise' should have been left to scrap it out on a B-sides collection. No matter.

'Nightfreak...' is here to provide us with a gauge of where The Coral are two years in.  If James Skelly's lyrices are growing increasingly bleak, then the band matches him stride for stride musically.  Throughout, Paul Duffy's bass buzzes with cocksure intent, which Bill Ryder-Jones and Lee Southall's guitars twang and thrash without ever sounding like we're eavesdropping on some unscripted muso horrowshow.  When they all combine in a splurge of chronic-coated G-funk on 'Grey Harpoon' it's so spot-on you half expect the Snoop of 'Doggy Style' to show up for a duet on the joys of life on the Wirral frontline.

In short, the threats of implosion or creative exhaustion which seem to haunt their peers seem notable only by their absence.  Their label must be delighted.  With the weirdness purged, the scene seems set for The Coral to produce future pop triumphs still formulating in the recesses of James Skelly's mind.

For the rest of us, 'Nightfreak...' serves as a reminder that in a climate where pop celebrity is based on constantly repeating a winning formula, The Coral are defiantly off-message.  Striving to be more than just grist to the CD:UK mill, they're fighting to retain their integrity and also poke fun at the process.

It's the difficult third album alright, but only because they wanted it to be.  Paul Moody
 7/10

Ballboy - The Sash My Father Wore

They may be fronted by a primary school teacher, but Edinburugh indie four piece Ballboy have far more guts than your average outfit.  Having already charmed the residents of his homeland  with the 'I Hate Scotland' EP, singer Gordon McIntyre adds injury to insult with this album's title track, a scathing attack on knuckleheaded Rangers FC fans that delights in the chorus "you're a big fat bigoted arsehole".

The band's past EPs and debut album have favoured jaunty indie pop and sumptuous orchestration, but this record sees them stripped back to just McIntyre, some sparse acoustics and those searing lyrics.  A subtle reworking of Bruce Springteen's 'Born In The USA' brings stark humanity to the song's oft-overlooked anti-war sentiments while the more romantic 'Past Lovers' and 'Tell Me' are starkly heartstopping.  Just pray that this album doesn't earn all concerned a good post-match kicking.  Ian Watson
 6/10

ratioci nation

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2004, 12:07:00 am »
Originally posted by brennser:

Ash should have a new one out

http://nme.com/news/107217.htm

markie

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2004, 01:00:00 am »
Looking at CDwow.net just now......

Mostly for the coral (Thanks for posting the review, twat!)

It comes out Jan 26th and it is going to be $14 there, but $23 on Amazon......

Also notable coming up.....

Gang of four best of

Spiritualized complete works Vol2

Franz Ferdinand

Lambchop

Both February 2nd......

YAY!

Hopefully lambchop will be at the blackcat again. I promise to punch anyone who talks during that show.

Yank

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2004, 03:11:00 am »
Originally posted by mark e smith:
  Looking at CDwow.net just now......

Mostly for the coral (Thanks for posting the review, twat!)

It comes out Jan 26th and it is going to be $14 there, but $23 on Amazon......

Also notable coming up.....

Gang of four best of

Spiritualized complete works Vol2

Franz Ferdinand

Lambchop

Both February 2nd......

YAY!

Hopefully lambchop will be at the blackcat again. I promise to punch anyone who talks during that show.
Hey Markie, if you or anyone else wants the new Coral that comes out at the end of this month and have a hard time (or too expensive), I can buy them over here and send them to you.  We can arrange an exchange through Jaguar.  They'll be limited to 75,000 copies.  That's a lot for most alt-country bands, but these will sell out pretty quickly over here.

ggw

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2004, 10:55:00 am »
Morrissey Brings The Pain: You Are The Quarry Scheduled for Mid-April

Former Smiths head-honcho Steven Patrick Morrissey (better known as just Morrissey to you jamokes) has announced plans for a new solo release in April. The album, currently entitled You Are The Quarry was produced by Jerry Finn and engineered by Joe McGrath.

Steven Patrick will be joined on the album by the likes of Boz Boorer (guitar), Alain Whyte (guitar), Gary Day (bass), Dean Butterworth (drums), and Roger Manning on piano. The album was recorded at Sarm in Berkshire, England and work was also done at Conway Studio in Los Angeles.

No tracklist has been announced, but Morrissey fan site/web zine True To You has listed songs recorded while in the studio and regurgitated them for your consumption.

They include but are not limited to:

"America Is Not The World"
 "Irish Blood, English Heart"
 "I Have Forgiven Jesus"
 "Come Back To Camden"
 ??I??m Not Sorry?
 ??The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores?
 ??How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel??
 ??The First Of The Gang To Die?
 ??Teenage Dad On His Estate?
 ??I Like You?
 ??The Never-Played Symphonies?
 ??The Slum Mums?
 ??You Know I Couldn??t Last?
 ??Home Is A Question Mark?
 ??The Public Image?
 ??It??s Hard To Walk Tall When You??re Small?

The album is set to be released on Attack Records (a subsidiary of Sanctuary) near or around the second week of April. The first single may also include a re-styling of Morrissey's "Let Me Kiss You" by Nancy Sinatra.

markie

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2004, 11:02:00 am »
Originally posted by PseudoScouseTwat:
  They'll be limited to 75,000 copies.  That's a lot for most alt-country bands, but these will sell out pretty quickly over here.
Thanks, Twat!

Actually I will just put in an order to CDwow, but if that falls through, thanks for giving me an option. It is very kind of you. And you were right about the La's. (I have been listening to it a lot)

Didnt Magic and Medicine sell 100 000 copies in the UK in its first week? Like that, this album could be gone in a day or two.

And GGW, isnt it time to give up on Morrissey?

Richard D Taylor

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2004, 11:39:00 am »
Originally posted by ggw?:
  Morrissey Brings The Pain: You Are The Quarry Scheduled for Mid-April

Former Smiths head-honcho Steven Patrick Morrissey (better known as just Morrissey to you jamokes) has announced plans for a new solo release in April. The album, currently entitled You Are The Quarry was produced by Jerry Finn and engineered by Joe McGrath.

Steven Patrick will be joined on the album by the likes of Boz Boorer (guitar), Alain Whyte (guitar), Gary Day (bass), Dean Butterworth (drums), and Roger Manning on piano. The album was recorded at Sarm in Berkshire, England and work was also done at Conway Studio in Los Angeles.

No tracklist has been announced, but Morrissey fan site/web zine True To You has listed songs recorded while in the studio and regurgitated them for your consumption.

They include but are not limited to:

"America Is Not The World"
 "Irish Blood, English Heart"
 "I Have Forgiven Jesus"
 "Come Back To Camden"
 ??I??m Not Sorry?
 ??The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores?
 ??How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel??
 ??The First Of The Gang To Die?
 ??Teenage Dad On His Estate?
 ??I Like You?
 ??The Never-Played Symphonies?
 ??The Slum Mums?
 ??You Know I Couldn??t Last?
 ??Home Is A Question Mark?
 ??The Public Image?
 ??It??s Hard To Walk Tall When You??re Small?

The album is set to be released on Attack Records (a subsidiary of Sanctuary) near or around the second week of April. The first single may also include a re-styling of Morrissey's "Let Me Kiss You" by Nancy Sinatra.
Apparently, one of the guitarists told the NME that the new one is Morrissey's best solo album yet.  Hopefully it will be...

I'm also excited about the new album from Interpol (due late '04), the debut album from Keane (due in the Spring), and the new one from Wilco (I think it will be interesting to see where Tweedy goes musically post-"Yankee")...

Oh yeah, and Sparklehorse has a new one coming out too...