Author Topic: Live Nation: Walmartizing the concert industry...  (Read 6966 times)

Hutch

Re: Live Nation: Walmartizing the concert industry...
« Reply #30 on: Today at 01:22:00 pm »
Ok you seem ridiculously cranky so good luck finding your answer!!

evilizac

« Reply #31 on: Today at 02:38:06 pm »
Oh I am ridiculously cranky. It's probably just the back-to-back 12 hr. workdays. I really liked the vibe of Atlantis (and drinks everywhere are expensive, so eh). I do miss things like being able to peruse a venue's website and take in info of the bands on the schedule. I'm bummed, living in Hyattsville, that Rock n Roll Hotel shuttered, and The Runaway (Slash Run's sister restaurant) stopped doing live music and appears to be all but out of business. It was nice to have places a little closer travel-wise and with more (if sketchier) parking.
WHAT?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #32 on: Today at 02:44:23 pm »
Oh I am ridiculously cranky. It's probably just the back-to-back 12 hr. workdays. I really liked the vibe of Atlantis (and drinks everywhere are expensive, so eh). I do miss things like being able to peruse a venue's website and take in info of the bands on the schedule. I'm bummed, living in Hyattsville, that Rock n Roll Hotel shuttered, and The Runaway (Slash Run's sister restaurant) stopped doing live music and appears to be all but out of business. It was nice to have places a little closer travel-wise and with more (if sketchier) parking.

Rhizome is like 15 minutes from you!

evilizac

« Reply #33 on: Today at 02:53:42 pm »
That is true and I do be forgetting about Rhizome.
I should have learned from the time that I forgot about Dre.
WHAT?

« Reply #34 on: Today at 02:56:45 pm »
I want to hear more about Jules stint at walmart, of course he'll respond with fake news!

DC unfortunately has really had a hard time with the 'local scene'  As hutch said there are house shows and places like DC9, Pie Shop and a few other venues...but it's slim pickens
Atlantis is still really catering to the 'already signed to a label' bands. They may be up and comming, but they aren't from dc 99% of the time

Since I've lived in the area (93) DC really has had a mediocre local scene
I've wanted so much for DC to have a scene, but I do think it's hard for locals as just about every national tourning act stops by dc (I know I bitch about how often we get skipped, but that's more the exception than the rule) so local bands are competing with know bands or cover bands almost every night of the week

I go to Baltimore and Richmond and they have a thriving scene and great acts are coming out of them all the time
DC...so few acts over the last 30 years that really had any big impact other than hobo shows
people still talk about the dc scene like it's 1983

I should have learned from the time that I forgot about Dre.
Nowadays, everybody wanna talk like they got somethin' to say
slack