Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1901413 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #2745 on: May 29, 2013, 11:55:42 pm »
i did your factory reset thang on my galaxy s two phone of the future, from the past.  now it works fine.  thank you.

Glad it worked out for you.

A couple more suggestions for you:

1) Don't reinstall every app you had installed. Reinstall them slowly and as you need them.

2) Lower the settings for how many days your email clients keep email for a little while. You can increase them if performance is still strong.

3) Don't keep hundreds of text massages. Delete them every now and then.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2746 on: May 30, 2013, 12:25:48 am »
There is a technical term lawyers like to use for behavior like this:  "Fiduciary responsibility to shareholders to minimize tax liabilities within the law." (We're a little more long-winded than economists.)

I think it can do it a little better.

what does "better" mean (honestly)?  these are income taxes, not a CSR issue.

My better was in reference to the hyperbole, not that I can avoid paying taxes better than Apple.  I know full well that they are not tax evaders, but are in fact employing a legal tax avoidance scheme.

But unless you're afraid of public backlash, and you should be, own up to it.  Don't hide behind a bunch of hyerbole.  Tim Cook said "We don't hide a bunch of money away on some Caribbean Island to avoid taxes." Technically true,  but that's because the island Cook chose simply doesn't happen to be in the Caribbean - it's in the Atlantic.

Apple keeps 65% of it's world wide income in Ireland, which houses only 4% of Apple's income and about 1% of it's retail sales, including revenue from patents that were researched and developed in America because they transferred ownership of them to the Irish subsidiary. 
27>34

atomicfront

« Reply #2747 on: May 30, 2013, 01:11:48 pm »
There is a technical term lawyers like to use for behavior like this:  "Fiduciary responsibility to shareholders to minimize tax liabilities within the law." (We're a little more long-winded than economists.)

I think it can do it a little better.

Ireland is not an island in the Caribbean. 

That's what I took away from Tim Cook's hearing.

They should just make a law that if you try to evade tax liability by shifting profits overseas your CEO and CFO get to spend the next 10 years in prison.  That should be an easy way to solve this problem

vansmack

« Reply #2748 on: May 30, 2013, 03:01:43 pm »
If you haven't tried the new Gmail tabs, I suggest you do.  It's awesome.

To enable, click the Gear Icon, Configure tabs and set it up.
27>34

atomicfront

« Reply #2749 on: May 30, 2013, 03:05:52 pm »

Do people still use e-mail? 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2750 on: May 30, 2013, 04:05:47 pm »
jesus . . . what a dumb snarky comment.  i mean you can make snarky comments all day long; just dont make them dumb.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2751 on: May 30, 2013, 04:47:52 pm »

you're still using a forum, which is as old as email. 
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #2752 on: May 30, 2013, 05:59:25 pm »
jesus . . . what a dumb snarky comment.  i mean you can make snarky comments all day long; just dont make them dumb.

Most people dont' use email anymore.  Not dumb or snarky.  People text. It was an honest question. 

atomicfront

« Reply #2753 on: May 30, 2013, 05:59:38 pm »

you're still using a forum, which is as old as email. 

That is true. 

vansmack

« Reply #2754 on: May 30, 2013, 06:19:14 pm »
Most people dont' use email anymore.  Not dumb or snarky.  People text. It was an honest question. 

I make the same joke to my coworkers all the time, as my colleagues still insist on communicating with students via email and are surprised when they don't read them.

In the professional world though, yes, email is still king and I get many more emails than texts, though I look at a lot more tweets than email these days.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 08:15:18 pm by vansmack »
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2755 on: May 30, 2013, 08:18:01 pm »

you're doing it here

you are the champ of bringing useless replies to threads.  but it's cool because we all do it
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 08:27:40 pm by chaz »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2756 on: May 31, 2013, 01:54:33 pm »

I make the same joke to my coworkers all the time, as my colleagues still insist on communicating with students via email and are surprised when they don't read them.

In the professional world though, yes, email is still king and I get many more emails than texts, though I look at a lot more tweets than email these days.

thank you!  i breathe, live, eat and sometime sleep in the business professional world and there are only two types of people that use texts as a form of communication:  kids . . . and adults who keep forgetting, they arent kids.

atomicfront

« Reply #2757 on: May 31, 2013, 03:50:31 pm »

Yeah, but in the professional world Google mail is blocked.  We have to use outlook.  I try to use instant message at work but people insist on using email... I guess because they think they have a record.  You can record your instant messages and store them in outlook.  So really there is no need.

vansmack

« Reply #2758 on: May 31, 2013, 04:10:07 pm »
Yeah, but in the professional world Google mail is blocked.  We have to use outlook.  I try to use instant message at work but people insist on using email... I guess because they think they have a record.  You can record your instant messages and store them in outlook.  So really there is no need.

Not all professional worlds. 

My place of work is powered by Google so Gmail/Drive/Chat/Calendar/Docs are all encouraged as they are trying to ween us off MS Office products.  While a number of people still use Word and Excel, very few use Outlook.

This is actually quite common in businesses out West and even more so in academia nationwide.
27>34

Yada

« Reply #2759 on: May 31, 2013, 04:23:38 pm »

Not all professional worlds. 

My place of work is powered by Google so Gmail/Drive/Chat/Calendar/Docs are all encouraged as they are trying to ween us off MS Office products.  While a number of people still use Word and Excel, very few use Outlook.

This is actually quite common in businesses out West and even more so in academia nationwide.

Imma gonna have to disagree with you on that, Office 365 blows Google Apps out of the water.