Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1903381 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #2865 on: July 29, 2013, 05:38:28 pm »
god, and vansmack alike . . . im trying, but i have no fucking idea what any of you are talking about right now.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2866 on: July 29, 2013, 05:44:01 pm »
new page....again

vansmack

« Reply #2867 on: July 29, 2013, 05:50:54 pm »
god, and vansmack alike . . . im trying, but i have no fucking idea what any of you are talking about right now.

Simply put, we're discussing the best ways to utilize interweb connected devices to deliver content to the biggest screen in your house - the television.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2868 on: July 30, 2013, 12:28:43 am »
OK - tonight I threw a lot at it and it handled most MP4 movies fairly well.  It couldn't handle the 2560p video I used in my tests, but few devices can.  Only my Nexus 10 can handle it natively, but if your computer can comfortably play a 1080p MP4, then so can the Chromecast. 

It didn't handle many of my "wrapped" or packaged videos though - probably because most of those are AVI's and Chrome might not have the proper codec's to handle those. 

Oh, and Chrome Browser does handle FLAC files natively either, at least through Chrome on Win8, so FLAC was a no go.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2869 on: July 30, 2013, 02:33:06 pm »
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #2870 on: July 30, 2013, 04:25:12 pm »
where are they now: winnie cooper
where are they now: winnie cooper

Nice find on Becky Slater.  She turned out alright, but she's no Winnie.  Somehow, I did not know they were sisters...

One of my favorite things about Twitter has been following Danica McKellar.  She's super smart and talks about girls and STEM.  It's fantastic.  She also posts just the right amount of photos...sad she's divorced.  Oh, wait...
here+Are+They+Now+-+%27The+Wonder+Years%27/articles/iFZ_GtrUYj4/Crystal+McKellar)

I thought for sure you were updating me on this:

http://ow.ly/i/2JUoa
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2871 on: July 30, 2013, 04:34:19 pm »
your daily open-souec boner: http://opensignal.com/reports/fragmentation-2013/

Awesome stuff.

The fragmentation "problem" is a bit of a thing of the past though - back in May at I/O, Google moved most of the important API's out of the OS and into an app called "Google Play Services" so Google no longer has to wait for carriers and OEM's to update the OS.  They simply update the APIs through the Play Store.

That's why even a brand new device like the Chrome Cast can work on Android OS 2.3 and higher. Sure, it's not a 100% fix, but it's the best solution between having to be dictated to by Apple and having too many choices from Google.

That being said, as long as they keeping making Nexus devices, that's all I will ever buy even with the new solution.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2872 on: July 31, 2013, 03:38:11 pm »
Head explodes!

27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #2875 on: August 09, 2013, 11:42:48 am »
I think the important line here is the last sentence.  As an aspiring GM, this mirror my thinking exactly (and for the record, I think Davis has a better chance than Trout this year at unseating Cabrera):

Buster Olney:

? Mike Trout is unlikely to be part of the MVP debate given the Angels? struggles, writes Alden Gonzalez. I?d respectfully disagree and here?s why: Miguel Cabrera has been dealing with some nagging injuries and if Detroit maintains its sizable lead in the AL Central, he might get more days off than he usually does, giving Trout an opportunity to build a significant statistical advantage.

I believe this, too: If Cabrera hadn?t won the Triple Crown last year -- if he had led the AL in hitting and RBIs but not in home runs -- I think Trout would have won the MVP. But once Cabrera became the first player in 45 years to get a Triple Crown, voters looked past Trout?s overall statistical advantage.

The same split of opinion among baseball people remains in place, I think -- the folks in uniform think Cabrera is one of the greatest players of all time, while a lot of front-office types believe Trout is the better player, and not by a small margin.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2876 on: August 12, 2013, 03:12:54 pm »
This will take up a little bit of your time today:

40 Maps that Explain the World
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2877 on: August 12, 2013, 03:33:31 pm »
This will take up a little bit of your time today:

40 Maps that Explain the World

yeah that did.

i'm pleased to see how well Canuckistan fared... except for that part where we inherit the midwest after the US's breakup.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #2878 on: August 12, 2013, 04:00:11 pm »
i'm pleased to see how well Canuckistan fared... except for that part where we inherit the midwest after the US's breakup.

Agreed.  Not bad for an oft-ice-covered Monarchy.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2879 on: August 12, 2013, 06:23:30 pm »
Mind Blown.

Elon Musk Explains the Hyperloop - the Solar-Powered High-Speed Future of Inter-City Transportation

SF to LA in 30 minutes for "substantially less" than a plane ticket.
27>34