Author Topic: Live Nation: Walmartizing the concert industry...  (Read 7562 times)

Frosty Finger

Re: Live Nation: Walmartizing the concert industry...
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2024, 01:22:00 pm »
Ok you seem ridiculously cranky so good luck finding your answer!!

evilizac

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2024, 02:38:06 pm »
Oh I am ridiculously cranky. It's probably just the back-to-back 12 hr. workdays. I really liked the vibe of Atlantis (and drinks everywhere are expensive, so eh). I do miss things like being able to peruse a venue's website and take in info of the bands on the schedule. I'm bummed, living in Hyattsville, that Rock n Roll Hotel shuttered, and The Runaway (Slash Run's sister restaurant) stopped doing live music and appears to be all but out of business. It was nice to have places a little closer travel-wise and with more (if sketchier) parking.
WHAT?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2024, 02:44:23 pm »
Oh I am ridiculously cranky. It's probably just the back-to-back 12 hr. workdays. I really liked the vibe of Atlantis (and drinks everywhere are expensive, so eh). I do miss things like being able to peruse a venue's website and take in info of the bands on the schedule. I'm bummed, living in Hyattsville, that Rock n Roll Hotel shuttered, and The Runaway (Slash Run's sister restaurant) stopped doing live music and appears to be all but out of business. It was nice to have places a little closer travel-wise and with more (if sketchier) parking.

Rhizome is like 15 minutes from you!

evilizac

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2024, 02:53:42 pm »
That is true and I do be forgetting about Rhizome.
I should have learned from the time that I forgot about Dre.
WHAT?

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2024, 02:56:45 pm »
I want to hear more about Jules stint at walmart, of course he'll respond with fake news!

DC unfortunately has really had a hard time with the 'local scene'  As hutch said there are house shows and places like DC9, Pie Shop and a few other venues...but it's slim pickens
Atlantis is still really catering to the 'already signed to a label' bands. They may be up and comming, but they aren't from dc 99% of the time

Since I've lived in the area (93) DC really has had a mediocre local scene
I've wanted so much for DC to have a scene, but I do think it's hard for locals as just about every national tourning act stops by dc (I know I bitch about how often we get skipped, but that's more the exception than the rule) so local bands are competing with know bands or cover bands almost every night of the week

I go to Baltimore and Richmond and they have a thriving scene and great acts are coming out of them all the time
DC...so few acts over the last 30 years that really had any big impact other than hobo shows
people still talk about the dc scene like it's 1983

Nowadays, everybody wanna talk like they got somethin' to say
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2024, 03:27:32 pm »
Aren’t Pie Shop, Quarry House Tavern and Comet Ping Pong considered grassroots venues?

This notion that there isn’t a DC scene means one isn’t looking hard enough

And I’m not expert on any of this, but there is exciting stuff happening
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2024, 03:44:01 pm »
Heck I just found out about a DIY venue in Boyds, MD called The Garage

And yes I had to look it up, it’s just north of Germantown

https://livefromthegaragev.wixsite.com/live-from-the-garage
T.Rex

Space Freely

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2024, 03:49:03 pm »

Funny you should mention him. The postal worker who provided excellent service for me recently told me she went to high school with the actor who played the good Dr. in Straight Outta Compton.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2024, 03:55:28 pm »
Has anyone seen a show through Sofar Sounds? Its a weird proposition to me. They don't tell you the venue or the artist beforehand...

https://www.sofarsounds.com/cities/washington

Frosty Finger

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2024, 04:00:33 pm »
It’s a complicated issue….with lots of little pieces

In todays world were it’s arguably more expensive to live in DC than NYC the minute you are serious about music you are moving to Brooklyn. Or even Richmond or Baltimore. But bands been moving to NYC since Duke Ellington. It’s so close it’s very doable.
And it works both ways: all the NYC, Philly etc acts can easily play DC so DC acts maybe get crowded out. We are the opposite of say an Athens or Chapel Hill which were rather insular music scenes…our scene is so porous it can’t really develop an identity
Then there is the whole Dischord scene “overhang”…..I feel like for a good while in this area either you were a part of that scene or you were out. Not just with Ian and Disvhord but even his sister Amanda was managing bands I think (like the Apes?) and booking Ft Reno (??). And when the Dischord thing kind of died down it feels like nothing really replaced it. It’s hard to replace something that was so big…

Just spitballing
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 04:02:10 pm by Hutch »

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2024, 04:17:50 pm »

Funny you should mention him. The postal worker who provided excellent service for me recently told me she went to high school with the actor who played the good Dr. in Straight Outta Compton.

How many Kevin Bacons is this?
😐 🎶

Space Freely

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2024, 04:33:20 pm »
It’s a complicated issue….with lots of little pieces

In todays world were it’s arguably more expensive to live in DC than NYC the minute you are serious about music you are moving to Brooklyn. Or even Richmond or Baltimore. But bands been moving to NYC since Duke Ellington. It’s so close it’s very doable.
And it works both ways: all the NYC, Philly etc acts can easily play DC so DC acts maybe get crowded out. We are the opposite of say an Athens or Chapel Hill which were rather insular music scenes…our scene is so porous it can’t really develop an identity
Then there is the whole Dischord scene “overhang”…..I feel like for a good while in this area either you were a part of that scene or you were out. Not just with Ian and Disvhord but even his sister Amanda was managing bands I think (like the Apes?) and booking Ft Reno (??). And when the Dischord thing kind of died down it feels like nothing really replaced it. It’s hard to replace something that was so big…

Just spitballing

Tell that to my college roommate, whose tiny 1BR condo in Brooklyn is worth over a million.

The cost of living in Washington, DC is -18.0% lower than in Brooklyn, NY.
https://www.salary.com/research/cost-of-living/compare/brooklyn-ny/washington-dc#:~:text=The%20cost%20of%20living%20in%20Washington%2C%20DC%20is%20%2D18.0%25,your%20current%20standard%20of%20living.

Cost of Living Comparison Between New York, NY and Washington, DC. You would need around 8,149.5$ in Washington, DC to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 11,000.0$ in New York, NY (assuming you rent in both cities).
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&city1=New+York%2C+NY&country2=United+States&city2=Washington%2C+DC#:~:text=Cost%20of%20Living%20Comparison%20Between%20New%20York%2C%20NY%20and%20Washington,you%20rent%20in%20both%20cities).

Frosty Finger

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2024, 04:50:45 pm »
It’s not an absolute but I think it’s on a par and trending more expensive in DC.

Brooklyn is obviously an expensive place within NYC.

Anyway the point is there are a lot of advantages to NYC for developing a music career and DC which used to be much more affordable just isn’t. So what are the advantages to living in DC if interested in a music career?

What is exactly more costly wasn’t the most important point I was trying to make

« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 05:18:00 pm by Hutch »

Frosty Finger

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2024, 04:55:08 pm »
Throws hands up in air
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 04:57:43 pm by Hutch »

Frosty Finger

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2024, 05:04:51 pm »
I mean NYC has record labels, studios, agents and a whole music infrastructure that DC does not?

And we rent out a junior one bedroom in Logan/Dupont for like $1800 a month. JUNIOR!!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 05:17:18 pm by Hutch »