Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2693559 times)

Yada

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #4650 on: November 26, 2012, 11:42:29 am »
What time does an old fart headliner like Neil Young come on at Patriot Center when there are two opening bands?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4651 on: November 26, 2012, 11:46:34 am »
What time does an old fart headliner like Neil Young come on at Patriot Center

about 25 years after he was last relevant

<bah-dum tsss... sorry, just had to make that wise-crack>
<sig>

killsaly

« Reply #4652 on: November 26, 2012, 12:29:32 pm »
Roomrunner show on Saturday (with Multicult, Two Inch Astronaut, Hive Bent, and Cheap Girls).
http://cheapgirls.bandcamp.com/ (they were just added to the bill)

hutch

« Reply #4653 on: November 26, 2012, 02:11:40 pm »
Men Without Hats, obviously.....

11-29 at State

practicing my "Safety Dance" as we speak.....

I'm on fence about Aaron Freeman at Hamilton on Friday.... $33 is bullshit..  but I do remember missing that Ween show at DAR about 6 years ago and I still regret it..

nkotb

« Reply #4654 on: November 26, 2012, 03:08:26 pm »
Dont' regret it...it was pretty lame.  Last area show I saw was Sonar in mid-2009 I think.  That was killer.

I'm on fence about Aaron Freeman at Hamilton on Friday.... $33 is bullshit..  but I do remember missing that Ween show at DAR about 6 years ago and I still regret it..

Yada

« Reply #4655 on: November 26, 2012, 03:14:56 pm »
Dont' regret it...it was pretty lame.  Last area show I saw was Sonar in mid-2009 I think.  That was killer.

I was at the DAR show, front row... But god awful venue and haven't been back since. Show was decent but nothing like the 04/05 shows at the 930.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #4656 on: November 26, 2012, 03:15:34 pm »
Neil Young/Patti Smith on Friday
Dark Star Orchestra on Saturday

shemptiness

« Reply #4657 on: November 26, 2012, 10:12:14 pm »
Graham Parker and the Rumour Wed nite.

hutch

« Reply #4658 on: November 26, 2012, 10:17:51 pm »

I was at the DAR show, front row... But god awful venue and haven't been back since. Show was decent but nothing like the 04/05 shows at the 930.

well that is why I passed on show.. as part of my DAR boycott.. but I've regretted it...even though I saw them twice after that...

weird but I do believe that was their last DC show even though they toured for many years after that.. they never came back to DC.. and DC was always a regular stop going back to the early/mid 90s..

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4659 on: November 26, 2012, 10:50:30 pm »
dar boycott =  weird.

the building is an awesome structure.  the history of it is a part of this country's start.  and now it has concerts.  forget your petty problems with the place.  it's . . . neato.

azaghal1981

« Reply #4660 on: November 26, 2012, 11:22:07 pm »
^It's great for classical performances and such. Rock concerts, not as much.

A few things:
Am I wrong to be skeptical of bands that play the Black Cat and a few months later, sell out a theater like Tower or Warner, and assume they sold their souls to Satan?

I was not at the Ween DAR show but saw that Sonar show a few months prior and felt sad for everybody involved for most of the show. "Mushroom Festival in Hell" was a high note of an ending, though. I also saw the two Black Cat Gene shows and left those underwhelmed. I would assume that this Hamilton thing will all be covers and think $33 for that is absurd.

Really tempted to run up to NYC for James Chance and Household for free that night.
احمد

atomicfront

« Reply #4661 on: November 27, 2012, 12:25:12 am »
^It's great for classical performances and such. Rock concerts, not as much.

A few things:
Am I wrong to be skeptical of bands that play the Black Cat and a few months later, sell out a theater like Tower or Warner, and assume they sold their souls to Satan?

Why would you be skeptical of a band because they become popular.  I saw Arcade Fire at the tower and now they get paid a million dollars to headline festivals. 

as for DAR I saw Siouxsie front row center there and it was one of the best shows of my life.  Seen her other places as well but all of them fell way short of the DAR show.  I really don't know why anyone be negative to it other than the long lines for drinks/bathroom.

hutch

« Reply #4662 on: November 27, 2012, 12:52:10 am »
I really don't know why anyone be negative to it other than the long lines for drinks/bathroom.

umm...maybe because the sound sucks monkey balls and it is music we are talking about?

you think that could be it??? 

hutch

« Reply #4663 on: November 27, 2012, 12:55:27 am »
well yah... that is the problem..$33 for Gene Ween (true it includes charges) is too much... actually my other problem is scheduling.. i may not be able to get out there... plus after a balls to the wall night of headbanging with men without hats i'm not sure i'll be up for it.... ;D

I don't get the whole "its only covers" rationale...  songs are songs... Billie Holiday didn't write her own material save for about 10-15 blues standards which were pretty much her putting her "woe is me" lyrics over the standard music.. doesn't mean her other hundreds of songs- yes what you derisively refer to as "covers"- aren't the greatest....

azaghal1981

« Reply #4664 on: November 27, 2012, 01:02:16 am »
I meant specifically the covers that he just released.
My fault for not being specific.
I'd hope he doesn't stick to that album and yes, I'd love to hear some Ween material, even if it is obscure tracks.
But I doubt I will go so the point is moot. Maybe if a setlist appeared between now and then, it would change my mind but no way am I going in there with no idea as to what to expect at such a high price tag.
احمد