Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2693541 times)

James Ford

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #4680 on: November 27, 2012, 11:13:58 am »
I can't believe there are people on a music discussion board in 2012 having admitted to having seen Heart and Pet Shop Boys.

atomicfront

« Reply #4681 on: November 27, 2012, 11:49:28 am »

jesus and mary chain sound was awful.   

FALSE. I was there.. it was great. We went over this the day after the show..

but you like bands past their prime no matter how bad the quality of the show.  So your opinion is not important.

hutch

« Reply #4682 on: November 27, 2012, 11:52:42 am »

but you like bands past their prime no matter how bad the quality of the show.  So your opinion is not important.

ah the old moving the goalposts..

we're not discussing whether they are past their prime or the quality of the show.. you're talking about the "sound"..... the youtube clips from the show demonstrate the sound was good and you can hear clearly every word Jim Reid sang.

You may wish to see a doctor if you couldn't hear what he was singing.. it was crystal clear.

atomicfront

« Reply #4683 on: November 27, 2012, 11:55:34 am »
but the site lines are good

oh yah..phoenix..forgot about them.. that's where i broke my boycott

site lines on the upper sides is pretty bad i think..remember seeing nina simone from there

oh yeah.. the upper sides .. forgot about them.

i've lucked out with first 20 rows of orchestra every time, and front row once for the black keys. so my opinion is skewed.

I think that makes a big difference... but I wouldn't say the sound at a venue was good because it was good for the 10% with the best seats... I mean 20th row center is, generally, about the best spot for sound.

It is amazing to me how we have this debate about DAR every year or so and there are people out there who think the sound is good. The sound blows! It is not a music venue or built to be one.  Is the sound good , sometimes, if you're standing in a certain area? Probably but even a stopped clock is right twice a day!  But to each their own..  Of my friends many ignore the place like they do Jiffy Lube..  But until people stop going there Seth is going to keep renting the place.. no incentive for him to build a state of the art mid-capacity venue (3000-4000 capacity which is what the city's music lovers could really use) when he can just book DAR on the cheap and have shows there..

I am sure DAR is not cheap to rent.  And I am sure Seth would prefer to have two shows at 930 club over one at DAR for a cost issue.  

I much prefer DAR to 930 club.  You can definitely see better and you have a seat so you don't have people trying to push by you all the time.  Biggest complaint to me about DAR is the ridiculous lines for alcohol.  And as 930 club charges so much for beer and I will lose my spot if I get said Beer I usually don't drink much there anyway.

Anyway IMP used to use Warner all the time which to me was pretty much the perfect venue.  I don't know why originally stopped using it.  Some say Live Nation but I believe they stopped using it before then.  I love 6th and I place.  They should use it more.  Along with Lincoln Theater.  

hutch

« Reply #4684 on: November 27, 2012, 11:58:54 am »

I much prefer DAR to 930 club.  You can definitely see better and you have a seat so you don't have people trying to push by you all the time.  

atomicfront

« Reply #4685 on: November 27, 2012, 12:00:07 pm »

we're not discussing whether they are past their prime or the quality of the show.. you're talking about the "sound"..... the youtube clips from the show demonstrate the sound was good and you can hear clearly every word Jim Reid sang.

You may wish to see a doctor if you couldn't hear what he was singing.. it was crystal clear.

Yeah I am sure the youtube videos recorded on someone's phone are crystal clear.   What a joke.  And the sound was awful.  I was there.  In all by years of concert going that was the worst sound quality I have experienced.  I am not going to argue because it is stupid.  And the whole that is what Jesus And Mary Chain sounds like is BS as well because I was there when they first played in DC back in 1985.  So I know what the Pscyho Candy songs are supposed to sound like live.  

And I need to see a doctor because every other show I go to I have no problem hearing the vocals but at this show after the 5th song I could not?  What a load of crock.  You could take any has-been artist and you would say they are great.  

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #4686 on: November 27, 2012, 12:01:16 pm »
Anyway IMP used to use Warner all the time which to me was pretty much the perfect venue.  I don't know why originally stopped using it.  Some say Live Nation but I believe they stopped using it before then.  I love 6th and I place.  They should use it more.  Along with Lincoln Theater.  

6th & I does not appear to be hosting any more IMP shows-- all of their upcoming shows are LiveNation, WPAS, or Traffic Circle Productions.

hutch

« Reply #4687 on: November 27, 2012, 12:03:10 pm »
As far as the Warner my guess is they stopped using it for a combination of factors... first of all it was bought by Live Nation..second of all its a union shop so it has higher costs (per ticket sold for sure.. maybe in real terms also)  for putting on a show than DAR, etc.

As far as the costs of renting DAR.. I bet its cheap... there must be a reason both Live Nation and the 930 use the place... I've seen Live Nation put many shows there when it owns the Warner but few blocks away... of course DAR has much higher capacity but still the costs have to be low enough for it to make sense to rent...

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4688 on: November 27, 2012, 12:07:22 pm »
The Magnetic Fields was an IMP event. Maybe it's just slow?

6th & I does not appear to be hosting any more IMP shows-- all of their upcoming shows are LiveNation, WPAS, or Traffic Circle Productions.
(_|_)

Yada

« Reply #4689 on: November 27, 2012, 12:22:26 pm »
Gener is playing WEEN material on this tour with very few of those Marvelous Clouds songs.

Walky feels safe in the DAR hood, hence he loves it!

azaghal1981

« Reply #4690 on: November 27, 2012, 01:02:49 pm »
That is really good to know.
Now I am tempted.

Gener is playing WEEN material on this tour with very few of those Marvelous Clouds songs.

احمد

hutch

« Reply #4691 on: November 27, 2012, 01:14:35 pm »
El Vez

Yada

« Reply #4692 on: November 27, 2012, 01:20:44 pm »
That is really good to know.
Now I am tempted.

From a September show.

Aaron Freeman
September 15, 2012

As I Love My Own, Flutes of the Chi, Spirit Walker, Your Party, Chocolate Town, Object, A Man Alone, Chancy Boys, Stay Forever, The Argus, Pork Roll Egg and Cheese, Ooh Va La, Right to the Ways and the Rules of the World, The Mollusk, Birthday Boy, Light Me Up, The Grobe ,Nature Man

Encore
Tried and True, Buenos Tardes Amigo

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #4693 on: November 27, 2012, 01:39:23 pm »

Yeah I am sure the youtube videos recorded on someone's phone are crystal clear.  

Yeah, I too had to laugh when I read that.

Not commenting on that particular show since I wasn't there but I'd never try to gage the sound for some show via a YouTube clip which, as you noted, was more than likely recorded on someone's cell phone.

hutch

« Reply #4694 on: November 27, 2012, 01:42:55 pm »

Yeah I am sure the youtube videos recorded on someone's phone are crystal clear.  

Yeah, I too had to laugh when I read that.

Not commenting on that particular show since I wasn't there but I'd never try to gage the sound for some show via a YouTube clip which, as you noted, was more than likely recorded on someone's cell phone.

ok then...what about my own hd camera from a few feet away?  that good enough???

no? ok then...cant win