Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1179636 times)

shemptiness

Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #2280 on: November 10, 2013, 11:15:43 am »
Could be worse.  They could've lost to Syracuse.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:17:20 am by Shemp »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2281 on: November 10, 2013, 01:04:51 pm »
Could be worse.  They could've lost to Syracuse.
They probably would!
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2282 on: November 10, 2013, 01:19:00 pm »
looking at some old ticket stubs i was really not surprised to see how much concert prices have gone up..

december 2002 thievery corporation was $20...it seemed like many of my stubs from the first half of the 00s where in the $25 range.. prices really seemed to have taken off in the late 00s....

I'm not sure if that has to do with the new DC gilded age some are living or industry trends in general or the new DC market with multiple venues bidding for a limited number of artists.. ..probably a combination of all those factors

atomic

« Reply #2283 on: November 10, 2013, 09:58:05 pm »
looking at some old ticket stubs i was really not surprised to see how much concert prices have gone up..

december 2002 thievery corporation was $20...it seemed like many of my stubs from the first half of the 00s where in the $25 range.. prices really seemed to have taken off in the late 00s....

I'm not sure if that has to do with the new DC gilded age some are living or industry trends in general or the new DC market with multiple venues bidding for a limited number of artists.. ..probably a combination of all those factors

I am not sure what you mean.  Most of the upcoming shows at the 930 club are in the 20 to 29 dollar range. Most of the bands I have seen this year have been below 20 bucks. Perhaps you are seeing more established artists now. 

atomic

« Reply #2284 on: November 11, 2013, 11:57:57 am »
I was thinking this board is really dead for a business day and then I remembered all of you are government workers and this must be some day off and you guys only post when you are at work.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2285 on: November 11, 2013, 12:42:36 pm »

- inflation: everything is more expensive now
- artists rely on touring revenue more than ever to make a living. back in the early '00's they were still selling a few albums...
- are you comparing apples to apples?  Thievery is "bigger" today than they were in 2002, so they can command a higher price.  so looking at today's $45 ticket and saying "i used to pay $20" might not make sense, they're no longer the same band.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #2286 on: November 11, 2013, 01:58:14 pm »

- artists rely on touring revenue more than ever to make a living. back in the early '00's they were still selling a few albums...
- are you comparing apples to apples?  Thievery is "bigger" today than they were in 2002, so they can command a higher price.  so looking at today's $45 ticket and saying "i used to pay $20" might not make sense, they're no longer the same band.

officially at least inflation has been really low the past decade.. i think there has been concern about deflaltion..that is how low it has been..

of course some things have gone way up but some things have gone way down.. everything is not more expensive now.. a laptop that used to cost $1000 in 2002 would cost you $350 now..

there is no doubt that concert tickets would be expected to go up.. i just think they have far outstripped just about anything else but maybe i'm wrong

i remember the stooges at the 930 in 2007 at $40 seemed to me at that time really pricey.. now it would seem cheap

moreover, you also, assuming you buy tickets online, have to factor in that ticket charges have at least doubled..... i bought a hives ticket recently for $35 and with ticket charges it was $45

and thievery is exactly the same boring band.. same sitar player, same reggae boyz etc... and in late 2002 they were coming off their two most acclaimed albums.. everything since then has been a bit of a downer.. but i get your point that their fanbase expanded at least until say last year... now its contracting..

atomic

« Reply #2287 on: November 11, 2013, 03:21:55 pm »

officially at least inflation has been really low the past decade.. i think there has been concern about deflaltion..that is how low it has been..

of course some things have gone way up but some things have gone way down.. everything is not more expensive now.. a laptop that used to cost $1000 in 2002 would cost you $350 now..

there is no doubt that concert tickets would be expected to go up.. i just think they have far outstripped just about anything else but maybe i'm wrong

i remember the stooges at the 930 in 2007 at $40 seemed to me at that time really pricey.. now it would seem cheap

moreover, you also, assuming you buy tickets online, have to factor in that ticket charges have at least doubled..... i bought a hives ticket recently for $35 and with ticket charges it was $45

and thievery is exactly the same boring band.. same sitar player, same reggae boyz etc... and in late 2002 they were coming off their two most acclaimed albums.. everything since then has been a bit of a downer.. but i get your point that their fanbase expanded at least until say last year... now its contracting..

You just seeing bands that older people like now.  Bands that older people like cost more money as their fans have more money.  Kate Nash and Le Sera play tonight.  Both amazingly awesome.  Tickets 20 bucks.  I mean if anything ticket prices have gone down.  You are seeing acts past their prime and nostalgia shows cost more money.  It doesn't make sense but people like to re-live their youth and will  pay a lot for that experience.

You can buy tickets at 930 club or MPP and you won't pay service charges. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 03:24:33 pm by atomic »

atomic

« Reply #2288 on: November 11, 2013, 04:36:09 pm »
Why do the unhealthiest people seem to shop at Whole Foods? You would think that with all the cost they spend on healthy food they would look healthier.  If you go into McDonalds or Burger King you see unhealthy people.  But the people in Whole Foods don't look as healthy as the people who shop at Giant.  Well at least in my area.   

hutch

« Reply #2289 on: November 11, 2013, 04:46:53 pm »

You just seeing bands that older people like now.  Bands that older people like cost more money as their fans have more money.  Kate Nash and Le Sera play tonight.  Both amazingly awesome.  Tickets 20 bucks.  I mean if anything ticket prices have gone down.  You are seeing acts past their prime and nostalgia shows cost more money.  It doesn't make sense but people like to re-live their youth and will  pay a lot for that experience.

You can buy tickets at 930 club or MPP and you won't pay service charges. 

not if you're afraid a show will sell out

are you willing to argue that the average ticket price say as calculated by some outfit that keeps track of such things has gone down the past decade?

I will bet you that the average concert ticket price has gone up.

hutch

« Reply #2290 on: November 11, 2013, 04:51:32 pm »
I would guess the average concert ticket price the past 13 years has gone up about 100%...much like the prices on my stubs

here is one of I'm guessing hundreds of articles on it .. with some, you know, data to back it up.

http://internetfm.com/2012/09/will-concert-ticket-prices-ever-stop-rising/

atomic

« Reply #2291 on: November 11, 2013, 08:29:48 pm »
I would guess the average concert ticket price the past 13 years has gone up about 100%...much like the prices on my stubs

here is one of I'm guessing hundreds of articles on it .. with some, you know, data to back it up.

I still don't know what you are talking about.. Almost all tickets for 930 clubs shows are less than 30 dollars. If you are consistently paying more than that you are seeing nostalgia acts.  It  is you not the club.  I am sure  there are ridiculously priced tickets like the Stones but who would pay that much other than a person who doesn't like music and goes to one show a year?  There are plenty of shows where you can bring your own beer and are less than 10 bucks.  I can't remember paying more than 25 bucks to see a show at the ottobar.  Most are less than 15.  If you are complaining about 15 bucks a show than maybe you shouldn't be going to see shows.

hutch

« Reply #2292 on: November 11, 2013, 10:02:10 pm »

I still don't know what you are talking about.. Almost all tickets for 930 clubs shows are less than 30 dollars. If you are consistently paying more than that you are seeing nostalgia acts.  It  is you not the club.  I am sure  there are ridiculously priced tickets like the Stones but who would pay that much other than a person who doesn't like music and goes to one show a year?  There are plenty of shows where you can bring your own beer and are less than 10 bucks.  I can't remember paying more than 25 bucks to see a show at the ottobar.  Most are less than 15.  If you are complaining about 15 bucks a show than maybe you shouldn't be going to see shows.

we're talking about the average concert ticket price

there are still tons of free shows too..doesn't change the fact that concert ticket prices have gone way up...

i don't know why i bother arguing... the fact that there are plenty of inexpensive shows doesn't mean that concert ticket prices havent gone up... capiche?

i mean you said "if anything ticket prices have gone down"!

hutch

« Reply #2293 on: November 11, 2013, 10:04:43 pm »
and it wasn't a complaint as much as an observation or random thought if you will..

not sure why you get your panties in a bunch over it, atomic?

atomic

« Reply #2294 on: November 12, 2013, 11:01:33 am »
and it wasn't a complaint as much as an observation or random thought if you will..

not sure why you get your panties in a bunch over it, atomic?

Because you state something that is obviously wrong and can be verified by just looking at the 930 club shows list.  You base prices on the few bands that you want to see that are all nostalgia acts.  I bet overall lawn prices at MPP are lower (factoring in inflation)  than they were 30 years ago.