Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2122488 times)

Yada

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #5085 on: March 07, 2016, 10:59:50 am »
http://www.npr.org/2016/02/24/467647156/first-listen-m-ward-more-rain

Might have to hit up his show.

Even my daughter was requesting him the other day. "Daddy, play some M. Wart."

I'm considering it... It's been probably five years since I've seen him, didn't love his last album and we'll see how this album goes. Ever since he teamed up with Zoey D, I kind of stopped digging his old timey sound.

Ditto. Like this one better than the last but still prefer everything from Post-War on back.

Seems like a good date night show.

after one listen, I won't be attending...

after additional listenings, leaning towards attending... I approve. I shouldn't pass judgment on albums when I'm sitting listening through computer speakers at my desk.

That new Ray Lamontagne album though couldn't be more boring... my god.

My conclusion was it's ok...but I just prefer the older stuff, which is much more acoustic and mellow. I prefer him being an old timey troubadour to being whatever you'd say he is on this album (more of a mainstream rocker?). Leaning toward not wanting to go to the show... and my wife may be ready to retire from sold out standing club shows anyway, so no date night it seems. Guess I'll have to find someone else to be my date for Old 97's/Hearless Bastards.

I agreed...listened to Ray Lamontagne and it was...well "boring" may be the single best fitting word.

I couldn't even get through the Lamontagne album... just a lot of breath-y vocals over some pretty boring music.

« Reply #5086 on: March 07, 2016, 04:02:26 pm »
Julien Baker's Tiny Desk set

Sounds awesome!
slack

killsaly

« Reply #5087 on: March 07, 2016, 04:04:37 pm »
Curse ov Dialect - Twisted Strangers

New album from Aussie rappers...

killsaly

« Reply #5088 on: March 07, 2016, 06:51:31 pm »
Violent Femmes - The Blind Leading The Naked

Appropriate tune at the beginning...

dyecraig

« Reply #5089 on: March 07, 2016, 08:47:56 pm »

jozef van wissem and jim jarmusch - concerning the entrance into eternity

killsaly

« Reply #5090 on: March 08, 2016, 09:47:37 am »
I am starting the day off with some death metal from Vienna...

Chaos Remains - Roots
https://chaosremains.bandcamp.com/releases

Relaxer

« Reply #5091 on: March 08, 2016, 10:27:19 am »
oword

walk,on,by

« Reply #5092 on: March 08, 2016, 10:56:01 am »
various artists, star wars headspace.  some songs are too long for the 'talent' performing it, while others are awesome.

new dr. dog album is pretty good as well.  I never gave them a chance, due to me thinking they sounded like a flaming lips rip off when they started.

st. Vincent kick.  not sure I like that david byrne collab album.

Yada

« Reply #5093 on: March 08, 2016, 11:44:40 am »
various artists, star wars headspace.  some songs are too long for the 'talent' performing it, while others are awesome.

new dr. dog album is pretty good as well.  I never gave them a chance, due to me thinking they sounded like a flaming lips rip off when they started.

st. Vincent kick.  not sure I like that david byrne collab album.

That's actually the first Dr. Dog album redone... I suggest you go back and revisit their catalog.

Thanks for the Santigold rec, my daughter and I were having a raging little dance party to it last night. There are a few complete throwaways on there, but overall, pretty fun album!

Relaxer

« Reply #5095 on: March 08, 2016, 12:00:40 pm »
http://www.stereogum.com/1864165/diarrhea-planet-life-pass/mp3s/?utm_source=sc-fb&utm_medium=ref&utm_campaign

Oh my god, I'm so happy to see this, all of this. Just printed out that long-ass Buzzfeed article for my afternoon men's room session, and I'm delighted to hear a new album is coming, though their recorded material is not why I love them. But a new album means new tours, so that's great news. And hopefully it means they'll play a little longer. Their shows are typically 45-50 minutes long, including encores, and while I strongly prefer less over more, I would like them to play a wee bit longer.
oword

bob72

« Reply #5096 on: March 08, 2016, 02:08:03 pm »
PENIS

hutch

« Reply #5097 on: March 08, 2016, 08:45:42 pm »
Lennon - Rock and Roll

an often neglected album.. I love it...two Chuck Berry covers- driving home the importance of Berry to Lennon and the Beatles- and a soul tearing cover of Lloyd Price's Just Because.. Cooke's Bring it On Home is also wonderful (down to the Lou Rawls-ish backing vocals)....Of course the best known song on this is his version of Ben E King's Stand by Me which got a second life as part of the movie by the same name... this is one covers album that works..

oh..and the title says it all.. this is what Rock and Roll meant to John...

killsaly

« Reply #5098 on: March 08, 2016, 08:55:47 pm »
Acephalix - Deathless Master

killsaly

« Reply #5099 on: March 09, 2016, 01:50:52 pm »
Hordak - Padre

Just some Viking metal to get me through this day...