Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2122534 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #9870 on: November 05, 2021, 10:11:53 am »
T.Rex

Yada

« Reply #9871 on: November 05, 2021, 10:13:23 am »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #9872 on: November 05, 2021, 10:23:47 am »
even kosmette called it chessy
Kosmoette!? You're married?!

rumor  has it
I always assumed you were married to unpopular music.
LVMH

« Reply #9873 on: November 05, 2021, 10:28:40 am »
slack

« Reply #9874 on: November 05, 2021, 10:45:27 am »
even kosmette called it chessy
Kosmoette!? You're married?!

rumor  has it
I always assumed you were married to unpopular music.
I think he's polyamorous
That's so cool that Kosmoette is down with this open relationship with marginal British acts. So modern.
LVMH

« Reply #9875 on: November 05, 2021, 10:46:50 am »
That's so cool that Kosmoette is down with this open relationship with marginal Welsh acts. So modern.
FTFY
slack

Starsky

« Reply #9876 on: November 05, 2021, 04:24:45 pm »

Pappo’s Blues - Pappo’s Blues

This reissue sounds fantastic.

Recorded in December 1970 and January 1971 this is some heavy ass shit. Pappo is sometimes referred to as the Argentine Hendrix. The first track has been covered by Clutch. Stoner blues rock might originate here or at the very least it’s a touchstone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JVd9Kf3IWU4

Starsky

« Reply #9877 on: November 05, 2021, 08:29:06 pm »

A live recording with Bill Evans on piano recorded in the first half of August 1959…a few days before Miles Davis’ Kind of Blue ,which Bill arguably makes, was released…. You got to think the kinds of live dates Bill was having must have changed immediately after Kind of Blue…no more dates backing others (like this one) for starters one would think….But I honestly need a good Bill Evans bio urgent ….. that whole 1958-1959 period around Miles is my favorite and endlessly fascinating…throw in Cannonball Adderley’s Somethin’ Else which is practically a Miles session…Of course Coltrane returning to Miles after playing with Monk and cleaning up

Nothing much special happens here…none of Bill’s languid almost soporific playing…it doesn’t seem his style of playing….here it’s pretty typical….of course this would have been incredible live

Jimmy Garrison on bass who would go on to fame as part of the John Coltrane Quartet
This live set was released decades after being recorded

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #9878 on: November 05, 2021, 11:48:50 pm »
Still waiting on explanation from Starsky re: Everything But The Girl. If your statements are not confirmed we could be talking libel unless of course you retract them with an apology to the band and the board. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 11:50:39 pm by jeffml »

Mobius

« Reply #9879 on: November 06, 2021, 08:15:32 am »
will admit the ABBA album faded quickly... even kosmette called it chessy

I think Just a Notion is great and sounds like a classic Abba song that could be playing on my mom’s car stereo in 1981. But it’s an outlier.  Wish there was like a 50/50 split between wistful torch song and wistful buoyant disco but it’s more like 90/10.

Listening to one song where the magic didn’t quite develop I thought about how cool a Thomas Bangalter / Benny / Abba collaboration could be.  Masters of transcendent ‘cheesy’ music
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 11:10:04 pm by Mobius »

Starsky

« Reply #9880 on: November 06, 2021, 11:30:11 am »

African death cult band the Tom Tom Club.

« Reply #9881 on: November 06, 2021, 11:39:07 am »
The slander going on in this thread! Going to get so litigious if this forum ever breaks contain and the mainstream world is introduced to us!
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #9882 on: November 06, 2021, 11:41:11 am »

Pat Boone’s first band from the 1950s….that’s Pat with his future wife Pat Boone on cover

Starsky

« Reply #9883 on: November 06, 2021, 12:47:13 pm »

Album is beginning to open up itself

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9884 on: November 06, 2021, 04:04:43 pm »
I should add they played hardcore punk and came out of the same Orange County scene as Agent Orange.

Unfortunately their anti-feminist bent - clear from the name- and Nazi sympathies meant they had a short career (How Seymour Stein signed them is beyond me but he must have been horrified by this album cause they were dropped quickly) although I heard they recently regrouped to play Trump campaign events.

wait - what?  who are you referring to??  EBTG are english, not from OC... i'm sure i'm missing something here.
Still waiting on explanation from Starsky re: Everything But The Girl. If your statements are not confirmed we could be talking libel unless of course you retract them with an apology to the band and the board. 

yup, i'm waiting too - mostly to clear out my personal confusion.  as far as i was aware, there was only one band called Everything But The Girl, from England.  they had one of the biggest club hits of the 90's with the terry todd remix of "Missing".  was there another EBTG from OC?
<sig>