Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3244809 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3015 on: July 08, 2013, 08:23:00 pm »
http://www.today.com/entertainment/actor-chris-pratt-ditches-beer-6-months-shows-results-6C10566691

stop drinking beer . . . look like that guy. 

yeah, smoke pot instead... that'll get you a ripped body (pass the doritos, and what's on TV dude? ;D)

i dont promote smoking pot.  it is so bad for you.  worse for you than beer, unfortunately.  i just enjoy hearing people rationalizing which is better.  i think either or is a valid arguement.  except that smoke beats liquid, and kills you quicker.

atomicfront

« Reply #3016 on: July 09, 2013, 01:19:36 pm »
A friend of mine at lunch told me that IPA's are dead.  They have peaked and they are now headed down and craft Cider is the new thing. 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3017 on: July 09, 2013, 01:22:22 pm »
ciders are for fags who arent man enough to drink real beer . . . and im a fag, so i can say fag and can appoint who or who isnt one, so there.

Yada

« Reply #3018 on: July 09, 2013, 01:24:11 pm »
ciders are for fags who arent man enough to drink real beer . . . and im a fag, so i can say fag and can appoint who or who isnt one, so there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS6Ycu148O0

atomicfront

« Reply #3019 on: July 09, 2013, 01:25:53 pm »

Well over half the population aren't men. 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3020 on: July 09, 2013, 01:31:09 pm »
women, can be fags who drink faggy cider, as well.  so there, again.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3021 on: July 09, 2013, 01:44:19 pm »
A friend of mine at lunch told me that IPA's are dead.  They have peaked and they are now headed down and craft Cider is the new thing. 

and why do you believe your friend, any more than people on this board who a) live and breath beer, and b) are firm in their belief that IPAs are here to stay?  is he a brewer, bar owner, etc?  or are you quoting someone simply because you found another uninformed opinion that is the same as yours?

cider?  really?  i'd was interested in hearing your friend's argument, but the fact that he followed it up with the statement that cider is the next big thing completely invalidates his opinion in my eyes.  cider has been trying for years.  ain't gonna happen.
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #3022 on: July 09, 2013, 01:50:02 pm »

and why do you believe your friend, any more than people on this board who a) live and breath beer, and b) are firm in their belief that IPAs are here to stay?  is he a brewer, bar owner, etc?  or are you quoting someone simply because you found another uninformed opinion that is the same as yours?

cider?  really?  i'd was interested in hearing your friend's argument, but the fact that he followed it up with the statement that cider is the next big thing completely invalidates his opinion in my eyes.  cider has been trying for years.  ain't gonna happen.

Actually my wife just brought home some local craft cider the other day.  It was undrinkable.   How would the people on here be more informed than my friend.  I saw a lot of people drinking Strongbow cider last night at the bar I went to.  I think it is going to be the next big thing.  I should start brewing some.  Seems simple enough.  Get cider add yeast. 

And you guys probably thought grunge was here to stay. 

atomicfront

« Reply #3023 on: July 09, 2013, 01:55:00 pm »
"Now it's come roaring back. U.S. hard cider sales are up 65 percent over last year, and just about all the big beer companies sell it, as well as many artisan brewers. Finding cider at your local bar is often no longer a problem.

Among the impressive assortment of beer taps at Two Brothers Tavern in Middlebury, Vt., for example, is one that is bright green and shaped like an apple. "Sales have probably doubled, tripled in the last two or three years," says Two Brothers bartender Andy Buxton. "It used to be nothing. But nowadays probably 30 percent of people who are coming in here are demanding cider, not just asking for it. Even our locals who are drinking Budweiser are starting to switch over to a little bit of cider."

Hmm you guys are probably going to have to travel up to Vermont for some Cider next. 

atomicfront

« Reply #3024 on: July 09, 2013, 01:57:04 pm »
"Andrea Riberi, a beverage analyst for Nielsen, the market research firm, says it helps that cider appeals to both sexes. It's gluten free and seen as something new. "People who were born in the '80s and '90s ? which we call millennials ? they really want what's new, they're always looking for the next big thing," she says."

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3025 on: July 09, 2013, 04:24:44 pm »
How would the people on here be more informed than my friend. 

i don't know - you haven't identified your friend and why he'd know more than (or even as much as) anyone else.

I should start brewing some.  Seems simple enough.  Get cider add yeast. 

you should!  it is indeed pretty easy, but different than beer brewing.  there is a whole deal of stopping fermentation at a the right time if you want to retain any residual sweetness (or using an unfermentable sugar like lactose).  you can add flavors to your cider by including things like cinnamon.  most folks age their cider like a wine - i've tasted home-brewed cider and they've always been a year old, or older.  i've never had a young cider but apparently they can be harsh.  they mellow out with time.

"Now it's come roaring back. U.S. hard cider sales are up 65 percent over last year, and just about all the big beer companies sell it, as well as many artisan brewers. Finding cider at your local bar is often no longer a problem.

published on November 08, 2012, 8 months ago - where is this huge wave of cider that is taking over the world?  i don't see any more cider available in bars now that i did a year ago. 
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #3026 on: July 09, 2013, 04:32:40 pm »
As long as we agree that cider is for girls, I'm fine with seeing sales increase.
27>34

atomicfront

« Reply #3027 on: July 09, 2013, 04:34:07 pm »
How would the people on here be more informed than my friend. 

i don't know - you haven't identified your friend and why he'd know more than (or even as much as) anyone else.

I should start brewing some.  Seems simple enough.  Get cider add yeast. 

you should!  it is indeed pretty easy, but different than beer brewing.  there is a whole deal of stopping fermentation at a the right time if you want to retain any residual sweetness (or using an unfermentable sugar like lactose).  you can add flavors to your cider by including things like cinnamon.  most folks age their cider like a wine - i've tasted home-brewed cider and they've always been a year old, or older.  i've never had a young cider but apparently they can be harsh.  they mellow out with time.

published on November 08, 2012, 8 months ago - where is this huge wave of cider that is taking over the world?  i don't see any more cider available in bars now that i did a year ago. 

So if stop fermentation you can't naturally carbonate.  Well apple season is a few months away.  I have my juicer ready.  

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3028 on: July 09, 2013, 06:26:39 pm »
i just bought another crazy fuck load of founders double trouble, and hoptimum.  i guess that means, i like sierra nevada now, after thinking they were shit for some reason for years.  it was torpedo that began the turn. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #3029 on: July 09, 2013, 07:13:14 pm »

today in scumbag atomicfront...

talks about how his friend tells him IPA's are dead and cider is the new thing.

ignores all the articles out there saying IPAs are the most popular and fastest growing beer, cherry-picks quotes from an article about cider.

Among the impressive assortment of beer taps at Two Brothers Tavern in Middlebury, Vt., for example, is one that is bright green and shaped like an apple. "Sales have probably doubled, tripled in the last two or three years," says Two Brothers bartender Andy Buxton. "It used to be nothing. But nowadays probably 30 percent of people who are coming in here are demanding cider, not just asking for it. Even our locals who are drinking Budweiser are starting to switch over to a little bit of cider."