Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1179944 times)

atomic

Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #2790 on: January 17, 2014, 12:51:16 pm »
"Islamic" is a race?
yawn

Well he is right.  My sister is Islamic and she is as white as she can be with her pale skin and blonde hair. 

hutch

« Reply #2791 on: January 17, 2014, 12:51:54 pm »
It sounds like your kids go to the same school as mine.

Last year she was the only white girl in her kindergarten class, this year she is one of three. And at this point, it doesn't seem to be an issue.

You know what is a beautiful thing?  Children and race.  My kids go to a really diverse school, it's about 20 percent white, probably 40 percent hispanic, and the rest a mish-mash of islamic, asian, indian, black.  Seriously, it's a freaking melting pot.  These kids give not a single shit about race.  Since no single group is particularly predominant, the kids don't group together by race at all.  Last year my daughter had kids in her class with origins in 14 different countries!

When my kids are describing a new friend or classmate I've never heard about they never use the terms in the paragraph above as descriptors.  It is by far my favorite thing about the school and the community we live in.  I'm envious of this experience they are having as little kids. 

It gives me hope for the future, man.

Edit:  It also makes me sad knowing that eventually the adults in a lot of these kids lives will fuck this all up for them.

Where do you live?  If I have kids I plan to send them to the Park School in Baltimore.  I don't know if it is diverse or not.  Though they talk about diversity the photos of children on their website does not seem diverse at all.  Hmm..

"If i have kids"?

is baby atomic coming?

atomic

« Reply #2792 on: January 17, 2014, 12:52:22 pm »

Last year she was the only white girl in her kindergarten class, this year she is one of three. And at this point, it doesn't seem to be an issue.

You know what is a beautiful thing?  Children and race.  My kids go to a really diverse school, it's about 20 percent white, probably 40 percent hispanic, and the rest a mish-mash of islamic, asian, indian, black.  Seriously, it's a freaking melting pot.  These kids give not a single shit about race.  Since no single group is particularly predominant, the kids don't group together by race at all.  Last year my daughter had kids in her class with origins in 14 different countries!

When my kids are describing a new friend or classmate I've never heard about they never use the terms in the paragraph above as descriptors.  It is by far my favorite thing about the school and the community we live in.  I'm envious of this experience they are having as little kids. 

Edit:  It also makes me sad knowing that eventually the adults in a lot of these kids lives will fuck this all up for them.

Where do you live?  If I have kids I plan to send them to the Park School in Baltimore.  I don't know if it is diverse or not.  Though they talk about diversity the photos of children on their website does not seem diverse at all.  Hmm..

"If i have kids"?

is baby atomic coming?

;D

James Ford

« Reply #2793 on: January 17, 2014, 12:53:33 pm »
islamicfront would make a great screen name

"Islamic" is a race?
yawn

Well he is right.  My sister is Islamic and she is as white as she can be with her pale skin and blonde hair. 

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2794 on: January 17, 2014, 12:54:20 pm »

It's pretty easy to find out online the demographic breakdown of any school.

Park School

Ethnicity   
White    80%   
Two or more races  9%   
Black    8%   
Asian    3%   
Hispanic   1%   10%

James Ford

« Reply #2795 on: January 17, 2014, 12:54:35 pm »
Fairfax County, VA

atomic

« Reply #2796 on: January 17, 2014, 12:56:43 pm »
Fairfax County, VA

Oh that is where my sister lives.  No wonder you have islamics at your kids schools.

chaz

« Reply #2797 on: January 17, 2014, 12:56:58 pm »
"Islamic" is a race?
yawn

Fair enough.  It was easier to say that than Islamic countries in the Middle East and Africa.

ggw

« Reply #2798 on: January 17, 2014, 12:57:12 pm »

Park School

Ethnicity   
White    80%   
Two or more races  9%   
Black    8%   
Asian    3%   
Hispanic   1%   10%

What?  No islamics?

James Ford

« Reply #2799 on: January 17, 2014, 01:00:02 pm »
The stats for my daughters school are deceptive.

They have a "gifted" program that starts in third grade. This is where they "import" kids from other schools. And the kids being imported are mostly white. Hence, the 41% white rate that is listed reflects that. Whites are much less in K-2.

Not sure why I'm posting that, but anyhooo....

Park School

Ethnicity   
White    80%   
Two or more races  9%   
Black    8%   
Asian    3%   
Hispanic   1%   10%

chaz

« Reply #2800 on: January 17, 2014, 01:02:11 pm »

Park School

Ethnicity   
White    80%   
Two or more races  9%   
Black    8%   
Asian    3%   
Hispanic   1%   10%

What?  No islamics?

OK mr pc police i get it!

hutch

« Reply #2801 on: January 17, 2014, 01:04:40 pm »
 hispanic is not an ethnicity either

I am a white hispanic. there are entire nations full of white hispanics... are spanish people hispanics? according to the US definition yes.. but they are also white... have you ever seen some of the hispanics from spain that are white, blonde and blue eyed?

then you have black hispanics... dominican republic, venezuela, cuba, etc.

hutch

« Reply #2802 on: January 17, 2014, 01:05:58 pm »
"Islamic" is a race?
yawn

Fair enough.  It was easier to say that than Islamic countries in the Middle East and Africa.

the term I would have expected you to use would have been Arab...not sure that would have been PC either

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2803 on: January 17, 2014, 01:07:55 pm »
This conversation is reminding me of the scene in Mad Men where Pete Campbell waxes that he'll have to convince his mother that her new nurse, Manolo Colon, is the European type of Spanish or she'll never go for it.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2804 on: January 17, 2014, 01:10:06 pm »
This conversation is reminding me of the scene in Mad Men where Pete Campbell waxes that he'll have to convince his mother that her new nurse, Manolo Colon, is the European type of Spanish or she'll never go for it.

fuck you dude don't be a spoiler