Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2121979 times)

killsaly

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #5235 on: April 04, 2016, 05:18:05 pm »
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (from a showlistdc recommendation on Facebook when I asked for good black metal to check out)

killsaly

« Reply #5236 on: April 04, 2016, 06:31:12 pm »
Hexis - Abalam

dyecraig

« Reply #5237 on: April 04, 2016, 06:44:20 pm »

curtis counce - you get more bounce with curtis counce!
1957 west coast cool jazz that is as fine as the cover image.
jack sheldon, trumpet
harold land, tenor (made some great records with clifford brown)
carl perkins, piano
curtis counce, bass
frank butler, drums

dyecraig

« Reply #5238 on: April 04, 2016, 06:56:09 pm »

I sort of collect Elektra Records stuff... the 74000 series... picked this up this weekend...
"follow the music - the life and high times of elektra records in the great years of american pop culture" by jac holzman and gavan daws (for the text)
"becoming elektra - the true story of jac holzman's visionary record label" by mick houghton (for the pics and ephemera)
utmost respect for jac.

dyecraig

« Reply #5239 on: April 04, 2016, 06:59:05 pm »
Hexis - Abalam

i know i'm just lazy and could do it myself, but i'd like to see some of these covers.
thanks to killsaly, i'm starting to get interested in this music.

killsaly

« Reply #5240 on: April 04, 2016, 07:24:15 pm »
 ;D

hutch

« Reply #5241 on: April 04, 2016, 08:34:04 pm »
Jerry Jeff Walker- Bein' Free

Kind of amusing I got rid of all my JJW records a few weeks ago and picked up the one I was missing today....

He never made much of an impression on me but this record I kind of dig... Jim Dickinson and the Dixie Flyers on it..

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 08:47:16 pm by hutch »

walk,on,by

« Reply #5242 on: April 04, 2016, 10:50:54 pm »
Depeche mode, behind the wheel ep.  Flashbacks.  Im in the 10th grade.  Trying to discover who i am.  This, effected me for some reason.  Of, course I was about to lose my mind and be introduced to pink floyd.  Depeche mode was my gateway, into self destruction.

killsaly

« Reply #5243 on: April 05, 2016, 12:25:39 am »
Zhrine - Unortheta

Sick black metal (with death metal leanings) from Iceland (also kind of post-rock like at parts)
http://noisey.vice.com/blog/zhrine-unortheta-stream
(link has the album to stream)

bob72

« Reply #5244 on: April 05, 2016, 08:28:07 am »
PENIS

saintangelsin

« Reply #5245 on: April 05, 2016, 02:01:34 pm »
I've been listening to a lot of Primal Scream lately. Forgot how much I love them. Basically it's been a mix of the new album and their early to mid 90's stuff. As for the new album, I enjoy it a lot. I think it's great that they collaborated with Sky Ferriera and Haim. I've also been listening again to the recent Grimes album. It's such a fun, weird pop album with some serious bangers. If I could dance in my car, I would ha.

I plan on going record shopping soon and I'm hoping to pick up the new Iggy Pop. I'm sure by next week, I'll be listening to that and a shit ton of David Bowie.

Depeche mode, behind the wheel ep.  Flashbacks.  Im in the 10th grade.  Trying to discover who i am.  This, effected me for some reason.  Of, course I was about to lose my mind and be introduced to pink floyd.  Depeche mode was my gateway, into self destruction.

Oh really?! I'm a huge Depeche nerd. The Behind the Wheel EP is great. I was into Pink Floyd when I was 10, but by age 13, I was all about DM. There's something fun and sexy about their brand of self destruction. Gotta give it up to Dave Gahan and Martin Gore. Haven't been on a huge Depeche kick recently; but a few months ago, I was listening to a mix of Black Celebration and Songs of Faith & Devotion. I'm hoping to attend the Depeche dance party next month at the Black Cat.

Relaxer

« Reply #5246 on: April 05, 2016, 02:17:17 pm »
I still love the new Grimes album. It's so all-over-the-place and as saint said, there's some great bangers on it. I played it for my Thai lady last night and she was over the moon on it.
oword

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #5247 on: April 05, 2016, 02:30:42 pm »
I still love the new Grimes album. It's so all-over-the-place and as saint said, there's some great bangers on it. I played it for my Thai lady last night and she was over the moon on it.

I think that was a reaction to the slimy, possibly still-alive animals in her stomach.

killsaly

« Reply #5248 on: April 06, 2016, 12:01:57 pm »
I just started going through Echo & the Bunnymen discography - another 80s band that I had not checked out before but knew their name.  On now: Crocodiles

walk,on,by

« Reply #5249 on: April 06, 2016, 12:11:47 pm »
I've been listening to a lot of Primal Scream lately. Forgot how much I love them. Basically it's been a mix of the new album and their early to mid 90's stuff. As for the new album, I enjoy it a lot. I think it's great that they collaborated with Sky Ferriera and Haim. I've also been listening again to the recent Grimes album. It's such a fun, weird pop album with some serious bangers. If I could dance in my car, I would ha.

I plan on going record shopping soon and I'm hoping to pick up the new Iggy Pop. I'm sure by next week, I'll be listening to that and a shit ton of David Bowie.

Oh really?! I'm a huge Depeche nerd. The Behind the Wheel EP is great. I was into Pink Floyd when I was 10, but by age 13, I was all about DM. There's something fun and sexy about their brand of self destruction. Gotta give it up to Dave Gahan and Martin Gore. Haven't been on a huge Depeche kick recently; but a few months ago, I was listening to a mix of Black Celebration and Songs of Faith & Devotion. I'm hoping to attend the Depeche dance party next month at the Black Cat.

yes, dp, like pf, was one of those bands to me, at a certain period in my life, which controlled me and forced me to only listen to it for a while.  I think it has to do with the fact that humans can plug their emotional needs into the outlets of music.  of course, violator was the key.