Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2675861 times)

eltee

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #1830 on: December 02, 2009, 03:14:39 pm »
well? how was Sloan?

James Ford

« Reply #1831 on: December 03, 2009, 10:44:54 am »
Elvis Perkinsssss!!!!

Really, really good show. Almost made me want to grow a beard.

For those who didn't get enough Elvis, there's El Vez tonight and Night of 100 Elvises tomorrow night.

That was enough Elvis for me. F'ing hot and packed as hell, but didn't matter, great band.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 11:05:45 am by James Ford »

xcanuck

« Reply #1832 on: December 04, 2009, 11:24:00 am »
well? how was Sloan?
Meh. I've seen MUCH better from them. Murphy's stage presence was toned down from previous shows. Might've been the venue but more likely a result of having his collarbone broken. Setlist consisted of "almost hits" and new stuff. Sparse crowd.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #1833 on: December 07, 2009, 06:20:21 pm »
Tonight: Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin @ The Bell House
Wed: Violens @ Mercury Lounge
Fri: Inward Eye?? @ The Studio @ Webster Hall
HeyLa

eltee

« Reply #1834 on: December 08, 2009, 04:56:22 pm »
well? how was Sloan?
Meh. I've seen MUCH better from them. Sparse crowd.
Sparse? Gah, sucks. Sounds like a few things were involved in the "meh" show.

Home sick, which sucks, but maybe Sunday: Switchfoot.

bearman🐻

« Reply #1835 on: December 09, 2009, 11:18:47 am »
Anyone go to Arctic Monkeys last night? Thoughts? I enjoyed it a lot, but wasn't blown away. I think they are really embracing their stoner phase with open arms. Could have used a couple more songs like "Mardy Bum" or "When the Sun Goes Down".

xcanuck

« Reply #1836 on: December 09, 2009, 11:58:53 am »
Anyone going to see Brendan Benson tonite? Any idea what the advance ticket sales were like for this one?

azaghal1981

« Reply #1837 on: December 09, 2009, 12:06:09 pm »
Thought last night was pretty good. This band's older stuff annoyed(s) me but I like the stoner direction. Gave a few tracks from the new album a listen beforehand out of curiosity and was pleasantly surprised. Hopefully they keep going down this path.
I'll be at BB tonight.
احمد

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1838 on: December 09, 2009, 12:09:05 pm »
i bet the show will be quite empty.

Anyone going to see Brendan Benson tonite? Any idea what the advance ticket sales were like for this one?
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #1839 on: December 09, 2009, 12:13:04 pm »
After last night, empty is most welcome.

It was a fucking sauna in that room.
احمد

Bags

« Reply #1840 on: December 09, 2009, 12:23:34 pm »
Brendan Benson:  I asked at the box office, and it will def not sell out.  I bought a ticket to make sure I get my ass to the club.  Really enjoying his new album.  It's a bit of a retread, but when it's good material, I don't mind much.  He puts on a really solid show, so I'm looking forward to it.  His tunes have Bags written all over them.

Arctic Monkeys:  I was there and thought the show was really good.  They have this ability to use a backdrop, low light sets at the back of the stage, dry ice smoke and strobe lights to create an entirely new atmosphere.  Barely even felt like the 9:30 Club, which is awesome when you've been to about 500 shows already...  I don't listen to the albums much (I have no idea why), so I was surprised at how involving the show was.  Good stuff.  Missed you Bearman, no doubt in the rush to get to my car in the rain! 

Re the crowd -- yes it was hot, but NOT very crowded.  Lots of room in back and even midway up.  Very 'loose' crowd.  Strange since it was a pricey sell-out (ie, not one you'd think many folks would just blow off).  I can't figure it out.  For Them Crooked Vultures I couldn't even get back on to the floor from the restroom.  Crazy.

Sloan:  I agree with xCanuck, it was an okay Sloan show.  Though there was one VERY bright spot -- I had a meeting after work I couldn't miss so ran late.  Showed up halfway through the third song, went up about 5 'rows' back to my friends who were there, and within a minute got a wink, nod and smile from Murphy.  Finally!  After all those shows up front, all the after show meet & greets, I get some Sloan love & recognition.  Awesome (I think most folks know how I love them; a couple years ago they played Black Cat on my birthday and I bought tickets for all my friends and had a crew of about 20....).

I think Murph is in low key mode these days, no doubt based on his injury and possibly the notion of playing to 150 people in a coffee shop.  I also agree that Jay writes great songs, though I don't love his singing.  And Andrew can be a drag...  On the way home my friend and I decided we may need to travel to Canada to see a great, big, energetic Sloan show again.  Best Sloan show I've seen?  When they opened for Jet (awful) in NYC.  Just awesome, all over the place, crazy energy and way way fun. Maybe they get sufficient love in their homeland...

Me: Sorry for the long post; making up for not being around much.  Hope all are well!  ;)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #1841 on: December 09, 2009, 12:33:08 pm »
Brendan Benson:  I asked at the box office, and it will def not sell out.  I bought a ticket to make sure I get my ass to the club.  Really enjoying his new album.  It's a bit of a retread, but when it's good material, I don't mind much.  He puts on a really solid show, so I'm looking forward to it.  His tunes have Bags written all over them.

I love Brendan Benson, really hoping I can get out of work tonight and make it . . . 9:30 PM might be doable

"Tiny Spark" is one of my all-time favorites
(o|o)

Darth Ed

« Reply #1842 on: December 09, 2009, 03:01:39 pm »
Me: Sorry for the long post; making up for not being around much.  Hope all are well!  ;)
Don't apologize for that, Bags! I'd rather read real show reviews (especially by you) than another laundry list of shows that people are planning to see.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1843 on: December 09, 2009, 03:07:52 pm »
I bet Ezra Furman and the Harpoons will be the better show tonight. Brendan who?  :P

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/66243-ezra-furman-and-the-harpoons-inside-the-human-body/
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 03:13:23 pm by Hello Sunshine M! »
(_|_)

eltee

« Reply #1844 on: December 09, 2009, 03:17:14 pm »
Don't apologize for that, Bags! I'd rather read real show reviews (especially by you) than another laundry list of shows that people are planning to see.
Yeah! No one really seems to detail anything after the show...
Me? Still stuck at home. Wish I could be at BB tonight. Let us know how it is..