Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2675931 times)

azaghal1981

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #2070 on: April 20, 2010, 08:29:04 am »
No you won't. ;)

احمد

eltee

« Reply #2071 on: April 20, 2010, 09:29:46 am »
-Sara Watkins possibly tonight
-Jakob Dylan Friday
-maybe the festival Sunday if I can manage to get down there amiss the crowd
-wanted to go to Frightened Rabbit, but sold out (only one time did we try and find tickets [outside the venue] to a sold out show at BC - how hard is it these days?)

Anyone headed downtown Sunday for the Earth Day Festival? (I tried to find where the original post began / the son of a commentary thread to ask questions...) Any chance set times for each artist is available somewhere? I check around, didn't see anything.

vansmack

« Reply #2072 on: April 20, 2010, 12:08:59 pm »
Vampire Weekend with Abe Vigoda tonight.

Assuming I can decide which argyle sweater and scarf to wear.
27>34

wml7

« Reply #2073 on: April 20, 2010, 12:29:50 pm »
-Sara Watkins possibly tonight
-Jakob Dylan Friday
-maybe the festival Sunday if I can manage to get down there amiss the crowd
-wanted to go to Frightened Rabbit, but sold out (only one time did we try and find tickets [outside the venue] to a sold out show at BC - how hard is it these days?)

Anyone headed downtown Sunday for the Earth Day Festival? (I tried to find where the original post began / the son of a commentary thread to ask questions...) Any chance set times for each artist is available somewhere? I check around, didn't see anything.

I might head to the earth day thing sunday.  Depending on how the weather holds up.  Calling for rain on sunday, so we'll see  ;D

notme

« Reply #2074 on: April 20, 2010, 02:19:33 pm »
^^^ it rains on the earth day celebration every year.

wml7

« Reply #2075 on: April 20, 2010, 05:10:08 pm »
^^^ it rains on the earth day celebration every year.

that is true, little drizzle last year, bastards  ;D

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2076 on: April 23, 2010, 04:52:13 pm »
woa, this has just snuck up on me... good thing i checked my calendar:

- sat: nats vs dodgers --> taro sushi --> hot chip & the xx @ 930
- sunday: ESL 15th Anniversary Celebration @ ESL, might check out Earth Day @ the Mall beforehand if cats and dogs aren't falling.
- monday: phoenix @ DAR
- tuesday: Frightened Rabbit @ BC if my ticket materializes
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #2077 on: April 23, 2010, 05:16:13 pm »
- tuesday: Frightened Rabbit @ BC if my ticket materializes

Let me know on this one.  I have a ticket for next month...
27>34

azaghal1981

« Reply #2078 on: April 25, 2010, 06:41:40 pm »
(maybe) Cymbals Eat Guitars->International Noise Conference (!) Tuesday
Elephant Micah in Baltimore Thursday
Shout Out Louds Sunday
احمد

hutch

« Reply #2079 on: April 26, 2010, 10:37:01 am »
Monday: Phoenix
Wednesday: Outer Body Llama (Wonderland)
Sunday: Mark Knopfler

bearman🐻

« Reply #2080 on: April 27, 2010, 10:27:51 am »
How was Phoenix? Did anyone go to last night's show as well as the Rock'n'Roll Hotel? Just curious how they compared.

heather

« Reply #2081 on: April 27, 2010, 11:02:29 am »
i went last night and was at that RNRH show last year, and RNRH was far better.  even though i was front row last night, there was that inevitable loss of intimacy being in the larger room.  i?m not sure how well the show translated higher up & farther back, but the band seemed to have pretty good command of the stage.  it was fun watching thomas run around the stage, climb into the boxes, and out into the crowd.  show was short?maybe an hour and a half.  there were lots of younguns; i could rant about the drunk ass sitting next to me who elbowed me HARD on the top of my head and screamed ?partytime? incessantly, but i?ll bite me tongue.

looking forward to frightened rabbit tonight.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2082 on: April 27, 2010, 11:44:49 am »
phoenix was amazing.  they're such a great live band, great stage presence, cute and humble to boot.  crowd was really in to the show and everyone was dancing around me.  The 930 got a shout-out: Thomas said that they loved the 930 but that performing in this bigger space was the right decision (let more people attend the show).  they did their usual gimmicks of thomas climbing and running around the room, and having the crowd pour on stage for the finale while the band sneaks out the back.

i wasn't at the RnR so i can't compare.  one thing i've fairly certain of is that from where i was sitting (front half of orchestra), the sound was better at DAR.  i say this based on the fact that i've never heard RnR sound good, and last night DAR was downright impressive from our spot.  no idea what it sounded like at the back of the hall.  intimacy of the RnR might have been nice, but i appreciated the energy and facilities that DAR provided (space, better sound, stuff for thomas to climb on, etc).  less scene points, better show?  :P

pix: http://picasaweb.google.com/sweetcell/PhoenixDAR

vids:
playground love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTtvKzqPR3s (check out the crowd shot at the end)
1901 (part): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B8UDHK1Mbk (crap sound but ok visuals)
<sig>

edbert

« Reply #2083 on: April 27, 2010, 11:53:32 am »
I was disappointed that they didn't have that arab-lookin' drummer they've used in the past.  Turns out he's the highlight of the band as far as instrumental ability, even though he's not officially in the band.  The drummer they had last night didn't get near that level of technical ability or energy

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2084 on: April 27, 2010, 12:10:00 pm »
The drummer they had last night didn't get near that level of technical ability or energy

i wasn't paying particular attention to the drummer, but i thought he did just fine.  phoenix isn't exactly rush or the who.... 

it was his first time playing with phoenix, maybe he was nervous and/or holding back.  it looked like it was the same drummer from the opening band, Two Door Cinema Club (who were really good, by then way).
<sig>