Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2675938 times)

Yada

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #3465 on: October 31, 2011, 12:39:33 pm »
speaking of venues I ended up finally going to the Fillmore in Silver Spring last night....

... and?  liked?  hated?  meh'ed?

Thumbs down.

1. security out front makes you do the "T" and pull your pockets inside out.
2. once you get inside you have to do a line where they ask for your id and run it through a machine... never seen this in my life! looking for people who might owe child support and maybe more..unclear whether they would arrest you although I didn't see any cops (I was too busy yelling at them to ask pertinent questions)
3. the place was COLD.. not sure if its not finished or there is a hole somewhere but I was cold.
4. my friend had seats in the VIP area.. a little table facing stage up in balcony... only three beers on tap... shocktop, sam adams maybe seasonal and some shit beer i can't remember.. you can't stand up in your VIP table area to dance cause your head would block table behind you.
5. place was crowded.. if you think the 930 gets crowded well this was crowded and since its noticeable wider than 930 forget about moving if you're in the middle.
6. when you get out after a while they start with the barriers to close off area in front of Fillmore.

Sound was quite good though..I will give it that.. they had some posters on the wall.

Ziggy Marley needs some help with his band.. only one female backing singer but two keyboards, two drums/percussion..a guitarist that is completely by the books and has not an ounce of soul. Enjoyed Ziggy last time so much more... it was weird he's singing about Freedom after we've had the id check... then he's singing get up stand up and everyone in the tables is sitting. I found a corner they "let me" dance in the VIP area but I felt like the VIP ropeline worker was this close to telling me to sit down. nuts.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to check it out though...

I went a few weeks ago and I'd say the only redeeming qualities of the place are in no particular order...

1. You can smoke pot
2. I found it had a nice amount of room, even with the show being sold out.
3. Great sound (not any better than the 930 though)
4. I think that's it

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #3466 on: October 31, 2011, 01:46:32 pm »
Thumbs down.

1. security out front makes you do the "T" and pull your pockets inside out.

My guess is this is because it was Ziggy and they were looking to limit the drugs brought it.  I've been there twice and they didn't do this.   Doesn't 9:30 uptick security measures for certain shows, too?

2. once you get inside you have to do a line where they ask for your id and run it through a machine... never seen this in my life! looking for people who might owe child support and maybe more..unclear whether they would arrest you although I didn't see any cops (I was too busy yelling at them to ask pertinent questions)

My only complaint about this is that it's inefficient and poorly run.  You walk in and there's a table with a dozen or so people around it, but no real line - not that there's much room because it's right inside the door to the main room.  I've seen these scanners in a bunch of places.  They're getting to be more common.  I'm not a fan of it, but I'm not sure it's connected to anything that could lead to an arrest.

azaghal1981

« Reply #3467 on: October 31, 2011, 06:04:32 pm »
My friend and I drove passed the Ziggy tour bus on the way home from the Velvet last night.
احمد

stevewizzle

« Reply #3468 on: October 31, 2011, 09:54:58 pm »
I went a few weeks ago and I'd say the only redeeming qualities of the place are in no particular order...

1. You can smoke pot

on friday i was pretty surprised to smell pot at m83's show. for a place that kicks you out for crowd surfing, i imagine it was rare case and probably doesn't fly more often than not.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #3469 on: November 01, 2011, 11:37:48 am »
Matthew Sweet - tomorrow night @ City Winery.
Should be interesting seeing him in a seated venue - as Ive not seen him since college. Regardless, at least their wine is great!
HeyLa

nkotb

« Reply #3470 on: November 04, 2011, 02:09:17 pm »
Baring any unforeseen issues, Scratch Acid tonight.

azaghal1981

« Reply #3471 on: November 04, 2011, 11:42:30 pm »
^Fun show, that was.

Needed more Yow crowd action.

I know it is hard to crowd surf on air, though. Sucks about the low turnout.

Sadly got there late and missed all but the last Kepone song.
احمد

Unsanity

« Reply #3472 on: November 05, 2011, 03:51:39 am »
Kepone was pretty rad!

Scratch Acid was awesome except that weak DC crowd. If the show was in Baltimore it would have been RAW! I did enjoy the sound a lot.

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #3473 on: November 05, 2011, 07:57:37 am »
Scratch Acid was really good, but I really miss getting to see David Yow in a packed room full of people freaking out.  Turnout last night was probably about half of what it was for the Jesus Lizard 9:30 club show in 2009.

azaghal1981

« Reply #3474 on: November 05, 2011, 12:00:42 pm »
A smaller venue couldn't book them because they probably had an absurdly high guarantee.
That same show on the BC backstage would have been one of the craziest of the year.
Still beats not seeing them.
احمد

andyrichter

« Reply #3475 on: November 06, 2011, 12:57:14 pm »
Scratch Acid was really good, but I really miss getting to see David Yow in a packed room full of people freaking out.  Turnout last night was probably about half of what it was for the Jesus Lizard 9:30 club show in 2009.

so the turnout was about 100? ugh.

hutch

« Reply #3476 on: November 06, 2011, 02:49:40 pm »
A smaller venue couldn't book them because they probably had an absurdly high guarantee.
That same show on the BC backstage would have been one of the craziest of the year.
Still beats not seeing them.

so are you saying the 930 paid the absurdly high guarantee?

azaghal1981

« Reply #3477 on: November 06, 2011, 07:55:23 pm »
Yes, Mr. Brilliant Pants, that is what I am saying.
But that is just a guess. It would also explain the $25 price tag.

This week: maybe Trombone Shorty Wednesday, Christopher Willits>Aids Wolf/Unicorn Hard-on/The Plums Thursday, Les Rhinoceros Friday, Ted Leo Saturday

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 08:01:59 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

hutch

« Reply #3478 on: November 06, 2011, 08:19:49 pm »
Yes, Mr. Brilliant Pants, that is what I am saying.
But that is just a guess. It would also explain the $25 price tag.

This week: maybe Trombone Shorty Wednesday, Christopher Willits>Aids Wolf/Unicorn Hard-on/The Plums Thursday, Les Rhinoceros Friday, Ted Leo Saturday

no need to get in a huff man.. just curious...
are you saying the 930 paid this high guarantee nobody else would pay for non-business reasons?

that seems unusual...

azaghal1981

« Reply #3479 on: November 06, 2011, 09:41:11 pm »
I'm sure the club know enough about what they're doing to charge enough so that they make something. They have been doing this long enough and undoubtedly expected the turnout they got. If the choice was see Scratch Acid with a few people or not see them at all, I would go with the former. And maybe the club agrees.
احمد