Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2675852 times)

ggw

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #3570 on: December 30, 2011, 10:21:17 am »
Lucero were great. I was a little concerned when eight of them took the stage, but they pulled it off.

The only thing that DBT killed in the first 45 minutes was apparently the attention of the crowd, which dwindled by roughly half on the floor. They finally kicked it up near the end of their set.  But look how many times the roadie had to come out to ask the crowd to make some noise if they wanted an encore.

James Ford

« Reply #3571 on: December 30, 2011, 10:35:02 am »
I was wondering if you (or any other boardies) were there. Having not seen you for a few years, have forgotten what you looked like.

There was a really tall guy with white hair obstructing our line of vision at one point during Lucero. Was wondering if it was you and how you could have aged so much in just a few years!

Lucero were great. I was a little concerned when eight of them took the stage, but they pulled it off.

The only thing that DBT killed in the first 45 minutes was apparently the attention of the crowd, which dwindled by roughly half on the floor. They finally kicked it up near the end of their set.  But look how many times the roadie had to come out to ask the crowd to make some noise if they wanted an encore.

ggw

« Reply #3572 on: December 30, 2011, 10:54:31 am »
If that was you I knocked over with my walker, I apologize.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3573 on: December 30, 2011, 11:21:57 am »
The crowd would have stayed if the DBT hit the stage at the scheduled time of 9:30 instead of 10:15. I bet people who left are the ones who took the metro.
(_|_)

ggw

« Reply #3574 on: December 30, 2011, 12:02:18 pm »
Perhaps. I still thought that the first part of their set lacked some energy and didn't really get a head of steam until Carl Perkins. After that they were great, but they played much less time than I expected. Maybe that's the drawback of seeing a band on the first night of a three night stand. They were pacing themselves.

Nonetheless, a sub-par DBT show is still a very good thing.

James Ford

« Reply #3575 on: December 30, 2011, 02:45:53 pm »
I've noticed their setlists have gotten shorter in the last couple of years. Hence,  shorter set times. They are becoming geezers like the rest of us.

Perhaps. I still thought that the first part of their set lacked some energy and didn't really get a head of steam until Carl Perkins. After that they were great, but they played much less time than I expected. Maybe that's the drawback of seeing a band on the first night of a three night stand. They were pacing themselves.

Nonetheless, a sub-par DBT show is still a very good thing.

hutch

« Reply #3576 on: December 30, 2011, 06:40:10 pm »
Aston Barrett was phenomenal..what a bass player!

The rest of the "Wailers" were rather meh although one of the others on keyboard was apparently Keith Sterling.. no slouch

Huge crowd at the State Theatre just as was the case the last time I was there for Devo. They're expanding the upstairs; looks pretty close to done.

azaghal1981

« Reply #3577 on: December 30, 2011, 07:00:57 pm »
I found it hard to pay for that Devo show given I had just seen them a bit over two years ago at 930 for significantly less. Hope it was good.

Just the noise thing in Fairfax tomorrow for me.
And The Plums were very good as always on Tuesday.
احمد

ggw

« Reply #3578 on: December 30, 2011, 07:01:13 pm »
I once shared a spliff with Family Man.

True story.

hutch

« Reply #3579 on: December 30, 2011, 07:07:48 pm »
I once shared a spliff with Family Man.

True story.

oh I believe it.... met him after the show... you should see him in the picture.... his eyes are slits!!!!!

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #3580 on: December 30, 2011, 07:41:17 pm »
anyone else going to the Red Palace for NYE?
(o|o)

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #3581 on: December 30, 2011, 08:18:43 pm »
Last night...Lucero proved they are one of the most boring bands in the planet.

And the Truckers killed it. Anybody know the song that namechecked "Sweet Home Alabama" toward the end? I'm not talking about "Ronnie and Neil", which they didn't play.

The song you are asking about is "Play it All Night Long."  It's a Warren Zevon cover. 

I thought it was a really solid DBT show.  Given that I'm not real fond of their last couple of records, it was nice to see them supporting that material less and playing some interseting picks from earlier albums. 

I strongly disagree about Lucero being boring.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #3582 on: January 02, 2012, 02:22:45 am »
Friday was the legendary DBT show for me. Thursday was the weakest but still a very good setlist (although I had to leave after Play It All Night Long to catch the last metro train. Wouldn't have been a problem with the 9:30 start time, but it's a small complaint), and Saturday was a hell of a lot of fun, but Friday just kicked ass, and they really seemed fired up throughout. I know they don't really plan setlists before the show, but it felt like they deliberately put together a set of some of their hardest rockers, and it was just what I wanted to hear them play.

Overall, I'm glad I was at all three shows. Including the covers/Booker T songs from Saturday night, they played around 50 different songs, which is nice to see. I was hoping for a deeper setlist, heavier on the slower soul side of the band on Saturday night, but I can't blame them for trying to keep the energy up. Like someone said, subpar DBT is still a great night of music.

And I'd never been to a NYE show anywhere, so the countdown/balloon drop thing was fun, and jumping straight into Green Onions made it even better.

James Ford

« Reply #3583 on: January 02, 2012, 01:29:46 pm »
That's odd. I looked at the setlist for Thurs and Friday, and was very glad i chose Thursday.

Here's what you missed after you left Thurs (quite a stellar finish imo):

18. Used To Be A Cop

19. Get Downtown

20. Lookout Mountain

21. Zip City

22. Let There Be Rock

23. Shut Up and Get On The Plane

24. People Who Died

http://www.oneofthesedays.org/search/setlist.php?Year=2011&Month=12&Date=29

Friday was the legendary DBT show for me. Thursday was the weakest but still a very good setlist (although I had to leave after Play It All Night Long to catch the last metro train. Wouldn't have been a problem with the 9:30 start time, but it's a small complaint), and Saturday was a hell of a lot of fun, but Friday just kicked ass, and they really seemed fired up throughout. I know they don't really plan setlists before the show, but it felt like they deliberately put together a set of some of their hardest rockers, and it was just what I wanted to hear them play.

Overall, I'm glad I was at all three shows. Including the covers/Booker T songs from Saturday night, they played around 50 different songs, which is nice to see. I was hoping for a deeper setlist, heavier on the slower soul side of the band on Saturday night, but I can't blame them for trying to keep the energy up. Like someone said, subpar DBT is still a great night of music.

And I'd never been to a NYE show anywhere, so the countdown/balloon drop thing was fun, and jumping straight into Green Onions made it even better.

azaghal1981

« Reply #3584 on: January 02, 2012, 01:34:01 pm »
Garland of Hours/Gordon Withers Wednesday
Dementia and Hope Trails/Yellow Crystal Star/Insect Factory Thursday
احمد