Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2675957 times)

azaghal1981

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #3900 on: May 24, 2012, 12:57:27 pm »
Most likely both Black Dice and Ketamines/Teen Liver tonight
Skatepark of Baltimore fund raiser tomorrow at Chief Ike's followed by some local psych at Amma House
Sonic Circuits John Cage Millennium Stage thing and shoegaze thing at Artomatic Saturday.
Death Fest Sunday for Yob, Electric Wizard, Church of Misery and Saint Vitus.
احمد

James Ford

« Reply #3901 on: May 24, 2012, 01:01:59 pm »
When do you sleep?
 :o
Most likely both Black Dice and Ketamines/Teen Liver tonight
Skatepark of Baltimore fund raiser tomorrow at Chief Ike's followed by some local psych at Amma House
Sonic Circuits John Cage Millennium Stage thing and shoegaze thing at Artomatic Saturday.
Death Fest Sunday for Yob, Electric Wizard, Church of Misery and Saint Vitus.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3902 on: May 24, 2012, 01:16:35 pm »
and when does he fuck?

hutch

« Reply #3903 on: May 24, 2012, 02:26:07 pm »
and when does he fuck?

come on! he's a music hipster geek.. those guys don't have sex....

between the time he spends on this board, tweeting, trying to crack the ticketfly code, buying tickets, getting to and from the five shows a night he catches, and grabbing a quick bite at the new hip food cart selling $25 sheeshkabobs its pretty obvious sex, with others, ain't happening..

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3904 on: May 24, 2012, 02:40:56 pm »
music hipster geeks . . . the new dungeons and dragons nerds.

azaghal1981

« Reply #3905 on: May 24, 2012, 02:51:38 pm »
It has sadly been a while.

May skip Black Dice. I kind of do want a bit of sleep. I also have chilled out with the tweeting a little and have not tried cracking the TF code in a long time mainly because they have made it so difficult. The more shows they give you to sift through, the harder it is.

احمد

notme

« Reply #3906 on: May 24, 2012, 09:59:16 pm »
is there more showgaze at arto than screen vinyl?

azaghal1981

« Reply #3907 on: May 25, 2012, 12:41:47 am »
Lorelei and Silo Halo also are playing.
احمد

Relaxer

« Reply #3908 on: May 25, 2012, 09:12:33 am »
How was that Ketamines show? I wanted to go but couldn't swing it.
oword

azaghal1981

« Reply #3909 on: May 25, 2012, 11:40:51 am »
Very good. Short but sweet. I was unaware they had so much material that was not on the spaced out record. Teen Liver were fun too. The Howard brothers from Cigarette and some other dude whose name I forget. Straightforward pop punk but done well. I had no idea who The Doozies were but 4/5 of the crowd was comprised of children who were there for them. They were pretty unremarkable.
احمد

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #3910 on: May 25, 2012, 11:49:01 am »
Anyone going to Steve Winwood at Wolf Trap on Tuesday? Has anyone taken Metro out there before? Is it a complete and total clusterfuck?

Relaxer

« Reply #3911 on: May 25, 2012, 12:02:54 pm »
Very good. Short but sweet. I was unaware they had so much material that was not on the spaced out record. Teen Liver were fun too. The Howard brothers from Cigarette and some other dude whose name I forget. Straightforward pop punk but done well. I had no idea who The Doozies were but 4/5 of the crowd was comprised of children who were there for them. They were pretty unremarkable.

Just outta curiousity, approx what time did it start and end? Part of why I didn't go is because I thought the timing would be shitty and I'd like to know if I was correct or not.
oword

azaghal1981

« Reply #3912 on: May 25, 2012, 12:14:00 pm »
If you had left after Ketamines, you would have been out by 1030.

My decision to skip Black Dice was a good one. Since Ketamines went on second, I would have missed half their set.
I guess it was impossible to know the order unless you had asked beforehand though.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #3913 on: May 25, 2012, 03:40:14 pm »
have to say a few words about the babasonicos show last night at the howard (my first time there)

the show was hardly advertised and at a new venue, still unknown to many, and on the thursday preceding memorial day weekend... this is not the first time the promoters, kesta, have done a terrible job getting the word out.. it is hard to get a handle on the latin rock market in this town.. bands that are considered laughingstocks in argentina (enanitos verdes) routinely sell out venues. .. then a band that plays arena shows down there can't get people to turn out... i honestly think the poor promotion of the show played a serious role..  but I can't be sure how the show would have sold with better promotion. promoting bands from other countries is trickier i think.. since they hardly ever play here .

turnout was poor... disappointing i'm sure for the band.. they ignored it like you have to. for me it actually worked to my benefit. managed to hang out with them backstage, etc.

the venue is very posh... some of the food prices seemed a bit outlandish.. the staff was super professional and polite and even accomodating..a waitress actually took an order for another beer while i was on the floor so i didn't have to lose my spot ... nice touch probably cause business was slow...and what can you say about standing on that ground where ellington, jb and just about everyone played?

when one says a show is "awesome" , what does that mean? i GUESS it means one liked it a lot.. its a subjective appreciation..it really means nothing.

i think babasonicos has put out the best five run album of the past decade... jessico, anoche, infame, mucho and last year's a proposito... so i've been wanting to see them for about a decade and the few times they've hit the northeast its been new york.. i thought the show really delivered..classic, at least for me, after classic... the entire set list.. d'argelos is a superb frontman and the band has augmented its core lineup with long time friend carca and another guy i did not know..meaning they have six musicians plus d'argelos up there which allows them to put together a great sound.. last night it sounded superb where i was standing..

for people who don't know about babasonicos... i'd say they are one of very few "alternative" or "indie rock" bands from Argentina.. in other words they don't have much of a "latin" sound and they are different....definitely the number one band in argentina in that category... well worth checking out if you're not averse to hearing music in a foreign language.. their lps usually count with work by andrew weiss who produced a bunch of ween records including chocolate and cheese, and phil brown who engineered a bunch of classics from roxy music to bob marley has been working for them.. i think if you check out irresponsables on youtube or putita you'd get a good idea..

anyways, i'm glad i made the effort to check them out cause i doubt they'll be coming back to dc! ANd I loved it.. best show I've seen since LCD Soundsystem at Virgin Freefest

eltee

« Reply #3914 on: May 26, 2012, 05:34:15 pm »
the howard (my first time there)

the venue is very posh... some of the food prices seemed a bit outlandish..
drove by a few weeks ago seeing the venue for the first time. Lit up and shiny like a Christmas tree. Made me think of buildings/stores in Beverly Hills.

Glad you had fun and thanks for reviewing it and the music.