Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2675903 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #4170 on: August 17, 2012, 03:24:22 pm »
Anyone make it out to Die Antwoord last night? My buddy Andrew opened for them last time and last night my buddies Billy and Long opened for them, after the show I saw them retweeting some hateful and very funny tweets to them hahaha bummed I missed them and Die Antwoord again :\
‼‼?‼‼

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4171 on: August 17, 2012, 03:29:33 pm »
black cat mainstage has shitty sound 70% of the time.

live question:

dinosaur jr at the jefferson in c-ville
or
dinosaur jr at the black cat

thank you

been to both, the same distance for me both ways, can't decide.  black cat seems more "that style of rock" while the jefferson is just awesome on an awesome walking mall . . . with pizza by the slice.
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #4172 on: August 17, 2012, 03:38:23 pm »
That is true. But louder and heavier bands often do better there.

احمد

wml7

« Reply #4173 on: August 17, 2012, 04:06:11 pm »
I say Jefferson and make sure you stand next to the speakers
 ;D

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4174 on: August 18, 2012, 01:15:13 pm »
Wye Oak / Dirty Projectors.

Show is sold out.  DP is supposed to hit the stage at 10:30, and there's a BackBar event at 11:00.  Does this happen routinely?  It seems like BackBar stuff generally happens after the club show ends....Maybe just a mixup?

11p is the standard start time for the backbar dj events.  they almost always overlap with the performance upstairs.

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #4175 on: August 20, 2012, 11:17:06 am »
Lorelei tonight

I was at Lorelei on Friday too.

Going to Screen Vinyl Image @ Black Cat tonight.

Planning to go to Deceased / Sacrificial Blood / Necropsy / Extermination Angel at El Caracol in Silver Spring on Sat 8/25.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4176 on: August 20, 2012, 11:21:27 am »
How was the Lorelei show?
(_|_)

showlistdc

« Reply #4177 on: August 20, 2012, 11:40:45 am »
How was the Lorelei show?

Sparsely-attended.  I like the new album a lot.  Show was almost all new material (only one(?) older song that I remember). I think a smaller room would've given it a better vibe-- some of the energy just felt lost, although they were all really on.  Matt had the flu so he was under the weather.

azaghal1981

« Reply #4178 on: August 20, 2012, 11:50:27 am »
Matt was sick at Artomatic too. I liked the vibe. It's fun attending a show where I know a huge chunk of the people in the room. The main stage thing was a bit too ambitious but whatever. They were super tight and it sounded surprisingly great upstairs. Windmill was the only old one I remember hearing. Haven't heard the new LP yet (no CD's available? Are Slumberland just no longer pressing them?) but all the new stuff sounded fantastic live. Wound Up would be a radio hit in a perfect pop music world. Looking forward to the Strathmore gig.

Screen Vinyl Image/Airiel/Dot Dash tonight
Priests/Foul Swoops/Fell Types tomorrow
Brian Jonestown Massacre Wednesday
Also looking at that Deceased/Extermination Angel gig Saturday

Oh and this would fit better in the Showlistdc thread but the Sonic Circuits benefit on Saturday was cancelled.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 12:04:04 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

showlistdc

« Reply #4179 on: August 20, 2012, 01:20:50 pm »
Oh and this would fit better in the Showlistdc thread but the Sonic Circuits benefit on Saturday was cancelled.

bummer, but thanks - I've flagged it for tonight's update.  Still catching up on everything that was added/cancelled/changed over the past week when I was out, so thanks.

azaghal1981

« Reply #4180 on: August 21, 2012, 10:51:57 am »
Devastating Screen Vinyl set last night. Airiel were very good, too. First time seeing them. They reminded me a bunch of The Catherine Wheel.
احمد

killsaly

« Reply #4181 on: August 21, 2012, 10:54:40 am »
I wish i could have made it.

showlistdc

« Reply #4182 on: August 21, 2012, 10:57:41 am »
Devastating Screen Vinyl set last night. Airiel were very good, too. First time seeing them. They reminded me a bunch of The Catherine Wheel.

I didn't love Airiel-- they felt like shoegaze-by-numbers to me.  The music was OK, but the vocals bugged me (especially the headvoicey female singer from Boston they brought on stage for a few songs, who clearly didn't have much experience singing live with a band of that volume, as she was perpetually off-key).

Check-plus on Screen Vinyl.  Love those guys.  Might head out to see them at the Hut next Monday (or I might go to Dead Can Dance instead).

azaghal1981

« Reply #4183 on: August 21, 2012, 11:18:43 am »
She definitely was buried too deep in the mix. I preferred the songs without her and while they were derivative, I thought they did the shoegaze thing pretty well.
احمد

showlistdc

« Reply #4184 on: August 21, 2012, 11:25:24 am »
She definitely was buried too deep in the mix.

That was the only good part-- I wouldn't have wanted to hear her any louder :)