Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2676050 times)

Bagley

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #5400 on: July 18, 2013, 10:48:20 am »
Vile Saturday

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5401 on: July 18, 2013, 11:46:12 am »
Monkees on Sunday, primarily so Kosmette can see Mike her favorite...
T.Rex

K8teebug

« Reply #5402 on: July 18, 2013, 02:24:29 pm »
The Monkees was my first tape!  Love them!

bearman🐻

« Reply #5403 on: July 18, 2013, 02:30:30 pm »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #5404 on: July 18, 2013, 02:50:53 pm »
The Monkees was my first tape!  Love them!

Monkees / Weird Al 1987 World Tour baby!

Unsanity

« Reply #5405 on: July 18, 2013, 04:25:11 pm »
How can you have the Monkees without Davy Jones? I'd rather see Mike solo anyway.

atomicfront

« Reply #5406 on: July 18, 2013, 04:43:46 pm »
How can you have the Monkees without Davy Jones? I'd rather see Mike solo anyway.

Because Mickey Dolenz sang 90 percent of the songs anyone wants to hear and Davy Jones didn't play an instrument.  Other than "Daydream Believer" Davy didn't provide much to the band.

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #5407 on: July 18, 2013, 09:41:13 pm »
so how went it, mister video game?  see the nerd army, and their parents?  i went to one of those, once.  the very first one, at the kennedy center.  it was the day after the london tube bombing, and my future husband and i were staying in dc . . . crazy times to be a big city that day.  killer show, but i love video games.  do you like them as well.  its ok, we dont judge around here.

I'm a ms not a mister :)  Show was great and a lot of fun, as usual!

eltee

« Reply #5408 on: July 18, 2013, 09:44:42 pm »
Vile Saturday
Ditto + a friend or two and two of the local music DC meet up groups about 25 ppl attending.

Does anyone even meet up at shows via this rollcall thread?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #5409 on: July 18, 2013, 10:03:14 pm »

we fold our arms and look askance at people via this rollcall thread.
(o|o)

azaghal1981

« Reply #5410 on: July 18, 2013, 10:04:41 pm »
Is "Vile Saturday" the eve of Bloody Sunday?
احمد

killsaly

« Reply #5411 on: July 19, 2013, 12:39:21 pm »
I am all maybes for the week.

Tonight - Artscape for Matmos set then Ratscape for Arboretum, Raindeer, and the Flying Eyes
Saturday - I wish i could see Swirlies/Kurt Vile, but doubt i will be back from boating in time... So maybe Artscape after party with Wing Dam, Chester Endersby Gwazda, Jamaican Queens, and Sean Nicolas Savage.
Monday - Gems/Indians at Black Cat Backstage
Wednesday - Horse Lords, Cloud Becomes Your Hand, PC Worship, and This World Sucks at Coward Shoe
Thursday - Woods/Parquet Courts at Ottobar

eltee

« Reply #5412 on: July 21, 2013, 03:08:35 pm »
Vile Saturday
Ditto + a friend or two and two of the local music DC meet up groups about 25 ppl attending.

Success! Nice to meet ya, Bagley.

Swirlies were LOUD. My guy friends were in Heaven...no vocals really...garage, heavy rock. (at times like watching 5 guitarists and drummer (what was the woman doing?) in a garage during band practice). I had to leave a couple times just too loud. (the volume, not music. Kurt was musically loud at times but the level of volume worked well throughout)

Kurt was great. Guy friends thought it started to sound the same, but musically, Kurt writes a great song with many, many layers. I love a good singer/songwriter who can create a full effect and ramp up a partly lighter side of rock with some heaviness and build. I also appreciated both bands just got up there and played a basic rock show - not crazy lights and whatnot. (Kurt's band is pretty talented as well) It was like being back in college, so this is definitely the type of music I'm happy to find among so much out there right now. His acoustic portion was good too (pretty much what you've heard on the radio live circuit).  The club got pretttyyy hotttt after while I didn't feel any a/c after song 5. Crowded, but respectful, fun crowd - albeit weird at times with heat/drink, full moon. I'm just glad I got to Kurt after this time and at the club. Thanks, 930!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:12:08 pm by eltee »

gavroche

« Reply #5413 on: July 21, 2013, 05:16:46 pm »
I thought both Swirlies and Kurt Vile were great but I was sure glad I brought my earplugs.  Also, I had the most annoying crowd experiences at that show that I've ever had.  One group that couldn't hold their self importance and a second that couldn't hold whatever substance they were on.  Truly annoying.  It was a much better draw then I expected as well. 

killsaly

« Reply #5414 on: July 21, 2013, 08:01:38 pm »
Saturday - Potty Mouth, Revivers, and Young Tryna (members of Priests) at La Casa
Az, are you going to this? I would imagine Epstein will be there.