Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2676190 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #5490 on: July 27, 2013, 01:01:46 pm »
giving away two comp tickets for Frank Turner at Fillmore Silver Spring, August 1st.
PM me
(_|_)

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #5491 on: July 27, 2013, 01:19:26 pm »
I'll be at the Black Clouds / Warchild show tonight.

killsaly

« Reply #5492 on: July 27, 2013, 02:20:10 pm »
I have a lot of maybes for this week.
Today - Potty Mouth, Young Trynas at La Casa (definitely)
Monday - Priests at Fort Reno (maybe)
Tuesday - Gauntlet Hair at Black Cat Backstage (maybe)
Thursday - Screen Vinyl Image, Motion Lines, Dead Pleasures at Rock and Roll Hotel (definitely.  I think this will be the biggest venue I have seen SVI at so far)
Friday - Melvins at Ottobar and then possibly head over to Metro Gallery to catch Ducktails (probably for Melvins, maybe for Ducktails)

Got Haggis?

« Reply #5493 on: July 28, 2013, 03:46:23 pm »
picked up a ticket for new order on stubhub row l for $40...so totally going to new order tonight

azaghal1981

« Reply #5494 on: July 28, 2013, 04:25:51 pm »
Priests
Alasdair Roberts
Either Melvins or Dog Days noise fest
احمد

hutch

« Reply #5495 on: July 28, 2013, 11:21:29 pm »
I am afraid that rumours of New Order's live demise have been much exaggerated...

;D

bearman🐻

« Reply #5496 on: July 29, 2013, 12:40:25 am »
I can say without hesitation that I finally saw a New Order show that a) didn't suck and b) was just fine without Hooky. In fact, I've never seen them actually ENJOY themselves on that level. The Joy Division songs put a lump in my throat. What a perfect evening.

betao

« Reply #5497 on: July 29, 2013, 01:06:10 am »
The show was great setlist wise. The sound was really poor - the base was too muddy, the keyboards weren't loud enough, and I couldn't understand a single thing Bernard was saying.

Also, the pit was completely still during Love Will Tear Us Apart, of all songs.

My friend I played a game: see how many Unknown Pleasures shirts you can spot at the show. We got there late and I got to about 7.

wml7

« Reply #5498 on: July 29, 2013, 09:17:16 am »
QOTSA thursday in Chicago
Lolla Fri-Sun
 ;D

bearman🐻

« Reply #5499 on: July 29, 2013, 09:18:58 am »
QOTSA thursday in Chicago
Lolla Fri-Sun
 ;D

I'm envious. Have a fantastic time!!

Relaxer

« Reply #5500 on: July 29, 2013, 09:31:32 am »
Gauntlet Hair tomorrow
Bonnie Prince Billy on Wednesday
oword

eros

« Reply #5501 on: July 29, 2013, 09:34:37 am »
The show was great setlist wise. The sound was really poor - the base was too muddy, the keyboards weren't loud enough, and I couldn't understand a single thing Bernard was saying.

Yeah, the sound was dreadful at first - worked its way up to semi-ok by the end. 

No worries, seeing them again Friday at Lolla!  :)
ʎɐʍou

bearman🐻

« Reply #5502 on: July 29, 2013, 10:11:00 am »

Yeah, the sound was dreadful at first - worked its way up to semi-ok by the end. 

No worries, seeing them again Friday at Lolla!  :)

I'll happily take semi-OK sound and a heartfelt/fun performance over what I've seen from them before. Looking back at the songs they played last night, I'm not sure I would have changed much of the setlist. It was the perfect balance of all their stuff. I think the Joy Division songs were actually lost on a bunch of folks though. "Isolation" may have been my favorite actually. I thought it was outstanding. And the remixed version of "True Faith" turned a song that I've never enjoyed tremendously into something I'd go back to again.

eros

« Reply #5503 on: July 29, 2013, 10:34:32 am »
I'll happily take semi-OK sound and a heartfelt/fun performance over what I've seen from them before. Looking back at the songs they played last night, I'm not sure I would have changed much of the setlist. It was the perfect balance of all their stuff. I think the Joy Division songs were actually lost on a bunch of folks though. "Isolation" may have been my favorite actually. I thought it was outstanding. And the remixed version of "True Faith" turned a song that I've never enjoyed tremendously into something I'd go back to again.

This was my first time seeing them (bucket list!) so I don't have anything to compare it to.  Sumner's voice did seem a lot better than some live videos/recordings I've seen.

I love the original "True Faith" so I was a little bummed for this remix version.  "Atmosphere" was gorgeous.  Hope they do "Transmission" when I see them again.
ʎɐʍou

hutch

« Reply #5504 on: July 29, 2013, 12:36:43 pm »
I'm sure sound varies depending on where you were

i was back left corner of pit facing stage and sound was really good for me... i could hear bass very clear... maybe Gillian's keyboad was a bit low in mix... I was shocked at how good Sumner sang and I could hear every word clearly... I've seen plenty of video where he's been pretty atrocious...

I thought it was alll great... sure things could have been better.. they could have played 1 track from Technique maybe.. they could have not had a second guitarist obscuring my view of the drummer Morris... Gillian didn't need to look like an english maid but all in all it was a just great.. I kept getting goosebumps.. I'm still on such a high...