Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2675977 times)

bearman🐻

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #5700 on: September 01, 2013, 11:21:34 pm »
Well, the new NIN has to probably be one of the best things I've seen all year. Flawless integration of light, sound, and concept. Trent's back with an absolute vengeance and it's the best I've ever seen him, and I think I've seen every tour from the last 15 years.

Queens of the Stone Age were really good, and yet...there was something missing. There were great moments & I love the new material, but maybe their new drummer is a little too heavy-handed & needs fluidity to his playing. But I'm glad I got to see them on this tour. I just wish they'd quit performing "Burn the Witch". It's just not a good song.

azaghal1981

« Reply #5701 on: September 01, 2013, 11:38:17 pm »
Horse Lords on Tuesday
Magik Markers on Wednesday
Hopscotch Thurs-Sat!
Spiritualized Sunday
احمد

killsaly

« Reply #5702 on: September 02, 2013, 01:31:56 am »
I ended up skipping horse lords tonight. I saw 9 bands this weekend at scapescape. Not the 12 I was shooting for, but I got my 20 bucks worth (ended up seeing Chester endersby gwazda, the lollipops, bcbg, rapdragons, opale, raindeer, wing dam, the art department, and microkingdom).
This week:
weds - mc Chris/dr awkward/tribe 1/Jesse dangerously at Ottobar
Thurs to Sat - hopscotch!

Unsanity

« Reply #5703 on: September 02, 2013, 02:56:09 am »
I ended up skipping horse lords tonight. I saw 9 bands this weekend at scapescape. Not the 12 I was shooting for, but I got my 20 bucks worth (ended up seeing Chester endersby gwazda, the lollipops, bcbg, rapdragons, opale, raindeer, wing dam, the art department, and microkingdom).
This week:
weds - mc Chris/dr awkward/tribe 1/Jesse dangerously at Ottobar
Thurs to Sat - hopscotch!

I didn't see Horse Lords either. The Crown reached capacity and there were at least 40 people in front of me in line. I know they will be around again when I can see them. I saw plenty of great music. Deaf Scene, Television Hill, The Expanding Man, Sri Aurobindo (way too short of a set!), Whoarfrost, Arbouretum, Guardian Alien (also saw their drummer do a drum solo set), Mt. Royal and Roomrunner. Great day of music for 10 bucks.

andyrichter

« Reply #5704 on: September 02, 2013, 10:05:57 am »
Saw Zero Boys/Night Birds/Bad Doctors in Philly 2 nights ago.   Zero Boys were excellent, really fun live.  Night Birds were great as well.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #5705 on: September 02, 2013, 10:51:17 am »
Zero Boys-they still got it....!
(_|_)

betao

« Reply #5706 on: September 02, 2013, 08:40:40 pm »
I'll be at The Mission UK

Yada

« Reply #5707 on: September 02, 2013, 09:07:58 pm »
Hopefully Spiritualized on Sunday, seems kind of fitting for my first show at the club after today's news.

killsaly

« Reply #5708 on: September 03, 2013, 02:55:41 pm »
If you are a Merzbow fan and NOT at Hopscotch this weekend, you will be missing out.

Merzbow?s Schedule for Hopscotch 2013
Japanese noise legend Merzbow arrives in Raleigh Wednesday afternoon to begin his preparations as the 2013 Hopscotch Music Festival Improviser in Residence. For the last several months, we?ve considered most every band playing the festival as a possible collaborator for Merzbow, himself a creatively restless musician who has recorded and performed with a wide array of talents. Working closely with Merzbow, we?ve settled on the below schedule for his time in Raleigh.

Thursday, Sept. 5
Merzbow (solo), Kings, 11:30 p.m.
Merzbow with Wolf Eyes, Kings, following Wolf Eyes? set at 12:30 a.m.

Friday, Sept. 6
Merzbow and Super Special Secret Friends, Kings, 8 p.m. (More details will be announced on the day of the show.)
Merzbow with Pere Ubu, Kings, following Pere Ubu?s set at 12:30 a.m.

Saturday, Sept. 7
Merzbow with Evoken, Lincoln Theatre, 11:30 p.m.
I will be at least 3 of these (Wolf Eyes, Pere Ubu, and Evoken and MIGHT do the Super Secret Friends one as well...).

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #5709 on: September 03, 2013, 03:07:42 pm »
Superchunk/Mikal Cronin - tonight @ The Fillmore (SF).

Heard good things about Mikal Cronin, but dont really have a clue who they are.
HeyLa

killsaly

« Reply #5710 on: September 03, 2013, 03:16:25 pm »
Mikal is a he not a them (though he will have other people with him for his band).  Its cool indie pop rock or whatever you want to call that stuff.  Enjoy, I really dig his music!

http://mikalcronin.bandcamp.com/

azaghal1981

« Reply #5711 on: September 03, 2013, 03:36:28 pm »
It is a perfect pairing with Superchunk.
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #5712 on: September 03, 2013, 03:38:39 pm »
I should be at all but the Saturday night one. Hopefully Charlemagne Palestine is done before he joins Pere Ubu.
Or maybe I will forgo David Grubbs and Amor De Dias and just do that Saturday Merzbow set>Charalambides if it works better logistically.

If you are a Merzbow fan and NOT at Hopscotch this weekend, you will be missing out.

Merzbow?s Schedule for Hopscotch 2013
Japanese noise legend Merzbow arrives in Raleigh Wednesday afternoon to begin his preparations as the 2013 Hopscotch Music Festival Improviser in Residence. For the last several months, we?ve considered most every band playing the festival as a possible collaborator for Merzbow, himself a creatively restless musician who has recorded and performed with a wide array of talents. Working closely with Merzbow, we?ve settled on the below schedule for his time in Raleigh.

Thursday, Sept. 5
Merzbow (solo), Kings, 11:30 p.m.
Merzbow with Wolf Eyes, Kings, following Wolf Eyes? set at 12:30 a.m.

Friday, Sept. 6
Merzbow and Super Special Secret Friends, Kings, 8 p.m. (More details will be announced on the day of the show.)
Merzbow with Pere Ubu, Kings, following Pere Ubu?s set at 12:30 a.m.

Saturday, Sept. 7
Merzbow with Evoken, Lincoln Theatre, 11:30 p.m.
I will be at least 3 of these (Wolf Eyes, Pere Ubu, and Evoken and MIGHT do the Super Secret Friends one as well...).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:41:34 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #5713 on: September 03, 2013, 04:58:09 pm »
thanks. I had a feeling it was a he and not a them, but wasnt entirely sure. thanks for the link - ill check them out. glad to hear its a good pairing. they usually have great people with them -- well ive only really seen them in nyc and they tended to be there a lot with all sorts of bands. i think it was with versus the first time i saw them and that was awesome! maybe off! the second time, but cant remember for sure.

oh and listening to him now! really loving the music and a perfect opener for Superchunk!

Mikal is a he not a them (though he will have other people with him for his band).  Its cool indie pop rock or whatever you want to call that stuff.  Enjoy, I really dig his music!

http://mikalcronin.bandcamp.com/

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:59:55 pm by xneverwherex »
HeyLa

jrho

« Reply #5714 on: September 04, 2013, 07:59:42 am »
Volunteering at the OAR show at the zoo Friday