Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2123616 times)

Unsanity

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #2955 on: January 10, 2014, 05:12:47 am »
Jeeze that cover really does look a lot like Boris's "Pink" cover haha. But yeah its a great album. You should go see them Walkie, they're playing in Springfield at Empire (Jaxx) in February. Another really cool band called Intronaut is on the bill as well.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2956 on: January 10, 2014, 11:05:41 am »
jaxx used to always scare me as a venue, and i dont know why.  somehow, i always thought i didnt have enough jean jackets with metal studs and old metallica patches on it to show my face there.  seeing them live would be fun i think.  and loud.  very, very loud.

Unsanity

« Reply #2957 on: January 11, 2014, 01:44:54 pm »
Those Jaxx days are gone now. Its kinda more for teens or something now that its Empire. The headliner Between The Buried and Me is not that good. They have a cult following but I saw them once several years ago and it was awful haha. You could certainly leave early. Just go for Deafheaven and Intronaut. I might go but have not really decided yet. The sound system in there pretty much caters just for heavy metal so it will be loud indeed.

ggw

« Reply #2958 on: January 11, 2014, 06:04:24 pm »
I saw Molly Hatchet at Jaxx (wife's friend's band was an opener).

About halfway through the set, Molly Hatchet's lead guitarist (and last remaining original member) stepped to the mic and said:

"We have a very special guest in the audience tonight.  I'd like everyone to give this guy a big round of applause, he truly deserves it.  Dave!  Dave!  C'mon up here!"  [people clapping and whistling]

"This is Dave! ........ my cardiologist's brother-in-law" [clapping and whistling come to an abrupt end]

hutch

« Reply #2959 on: January 12, 2014, 12:18:53 am »
I saw Molly Hatchet at Jaxx (wife's friend's band was an opener).

that's a good excuse for her not you!!!!!!

;D

I was waiting for you to say Dave Grohl...he's everywhere..

stevewizzle

« Reply #2960 on: January 13, 2014, 06:12:53 pm »
Mac Demarco live session at CKUA

includes new stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/ckuaradio/mac-demarco-cantoo-live-at

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2961 on: January 13, 2014, 06:58:19 pm »
Jeeze that cover really does look a lot like Boris's "Pink" cover haha. But yeah its a great album. You should go see them Walkie, they're playing in Springfield at Empire (Jaxx) in February. Another really cool band called Intronaut is on the bill as well.
thanks for the heads up.  Might check this out.

Unsanity

« Reply #2962 on: January 14, 2014, 05:49:42 am »
thanks for the heads up.  Might check this out.
No problem dude.

I just scored around 120 vintage psychedelic LPs. I got some Love, Eric Burden & The Animals, Atomic Rooster, Holy Modal Rounders, Soft Machine and a bunch of really obscure awesome things like KAK. I will be hunkering down, cleaning and listening to these for weeks. I'm listening to some band on Uni records called Giant Crab currently.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2963 on: January 14, 2014, 12:21:48 pm »
i just watched this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC4374TkNYo

god, this band kicks major ass, and is slowly becoming one of new favs!  but the people in the audience, scare me.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #2964 on: January 14, 2014, 12:34:56 pm »
Deafheaven were pretty good when I saw them open for Alcest some time ago, but I just cant listen to Sunbather on repeat.  I bought it and gave it a couple spins, but it ended up not even being one of my top 40 favorite albums of last year (though it probably would have ranked in the 41 - 50 range).  That album seemed to be the most divisive release of 2013 for my friends on Facebook.  People either clowned on it and thought the band was a joke; or sang its praises like it was the second coming.  I am one of the people who fall in the middle of that spectrum.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2965 on: January 14, 2014, 07:25:00 pm »

While checking out the new Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings jam, be sure to feast your ears on the new
I'm Tryin' by DeRobert & The Half-Truths.  Seriously hard hitting Memphis soul

http://music.gedsoulrecords.com/album/im-tryin
T.Rex

stevewizzle

« Reply #2966 on: January 14, 2014, 08:09:16 pm »
i just watched this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC4374TkNYo

god, this band kicks major ass, and is slowly becoming one of new favs!  but the people in the audience, scare me.

boner

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #2967 on: January 14, 2014, 10:29:09 pm »
FUKIT

azaghal1981

« Reply #2968 on: January 25, 2014, 11:30:46 am »
Arguably the best thing to happen to the internet since it became a thing just happened. http://felakuti.bandcamp.com/album/international-thief-thief-1980
احمد

dyecraig

« Reply #2969 on: January 25, 2014, 07:41:12 pm »
Arguably the best thing to happen to the internet since it became a thing just happened. http://felakuti.bandcamp.com/album/international-thief-thief-1980
wow - looks like they've got his entire catalog on the main page - my 1st dc show was fela @ the Kilimanjaro in adams morgan - thanks for that!