Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2123450 times)

Unsanity

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #6405 on: December 12, 2016, 03:47:06 am »
Vince Guaraldi- A Charlie Brown Christmas

probably nothing says Christmas- musically- as much as these recordings... its interesting that more jazz musicians did not explore holiday music cause I think they fit together quite well... a lot of jazz music i like has a definite Christmas feel/buoyancy to it.. Mobley's Soul Station for example...

I got the original stereo pressing of A Charlie Brown Christmas and I agree its some of the absolute best Christmas music there is. Too bad my record has a weird factory defect on the first track on each side, grrr.

hutch

« Reply #6406 on: December 12, 2016, 12:07:54 pm »
Vince Guaraldi- A Charlie Brown Christmas

probably nothing says Christmas- musically- as much as these recordings... its interesting that more jazz musicians did not explore holiday music cause I think they fit together quite well... a lot of jazz music i like has a definite Christmas feel/buoyancy to it.. Mobley's Soul Station for example...

I got the original stereo pressing of A Charlie Brown Christmas and I agree its some of the absolute best Christmas music there is. Too bad my record has a weird factory defect on the first track on each side, grrr.

wow.. it is very hard to find an original pressing of this...beat up or not its hard to find..

Yada

« Reply #6407 on: December 12, 2016, 02:50:41 pm »
Crispy recording of a recent Circles Around the Sun show...

https://archive.org/details/cats2016-11-23.RodeM5.flacaud

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #6408 on: December 12, 2016, 03:11:37 pm »

Yada

« Reply #6409 on: December 12, 2016, 03:16:51 pm »
Crispy recording of a recent Circles Around the Sun show...

https://archive.org/details/cats2016-11-23.RodeM5.flacaud

noice!

shit's fire brah (whoever you used to post as)!

hutch

« Reply #6410 on: December 13, 2016, 02:00:00 pm »
The Soft Boys- Nextdoorland

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #6411 on: December 14, 2016, 04:40:25 pm »
Darkside - All that noise

hutch

« Reply #6412 on: December 15, 2016, 09:12:47 am »
ZZ Top- Tejas

I love this one...for some reason I had not heard it til a couple of years ago.. its one record that flies under the radar..

hutch

« Reply #6413 on: December 15, 2016, 07:13:27 pm »

Dexter Gordon's second LP for Blue Note: Dexter Calling

original mono pressing on Blue Note from 1961..  Dexter is my favorite tenor and that is saying something as there have been so many great ones.... on this record he's joined by Miles' first Great Quintet rhythm section: Philly Joe Jones and Paul Chambers.....Kenny Drew who was capable of cutting great records (Undercurrent), however, is not my favorite.. I miss Sonny Clark on this.. Sonny would go on to play on Dexter's two next Blue Note sessions.. the landmark Go and its follow up A Swingin' Affair... its not Drew's fault however that he's not my favorite bop pianist!

dyecraig

« Reply #6414 on: December 15, 2016, 08:00:52 pm »
the good the bad and the queen - happy birthday paul!

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #6416 on: December 16, 2016, 02:50:34 pm »
Roy Orbison- In Dreams (original mono LP on Monument)

hutch

« Reply #6417 on: December 16, 2016, 03:19:43 pm »

what a great movie... in a wacked out European way

Always wanted to pick this up.. record gives no credit to musicians other than Herbie Hancock and the lone Yardbirds track (apparently the only song to feature both Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page.. used to great effect in movie BTW)... anyways from wikipedia it would seem like a real allstar cast of musicians.. unclear if Jimmy Smith really did play on this or not

oh and if you ever wanted to find the sample used by Dee-Lite for Groove is in the Heart..its here.. its Ron Carter on BASS!!!!!!! jammin'!

Personnel[edit]
Herbie Hancock: piano, melodica
Freddie Hubbard: trumpet
Joe Newman: trumpet
Phil Woods: alto sax
Joe Henderson: tenor sax
Jimmy Smith: organ
possibly Paul Griffin: organ
Jim Hall: guitar
Ron Carter: bass
Jack DeJohnette: drums

hutch

« Reply #6418 on: December 16, 2016, 03:43:06 pm »
so this is why the musicians are not listed! from popsike I dug this info out from an auction for a Blow Up promo LP.. no I can't see the photo but I assume its the same musicians as listed on Wikipedia:

"SPECIAL DISC JOCKEY RECORD" / "NOT FOR SALE"
What makes this package interesting and one-of-a-kind is that it includes a typed letter from MGM producer Pete Spargo. Dated April 21, 1967 the letter is written to a disc jockey (Mr. Paul Anthony WRC-AM/FM / Washington, D.C.). The letter explains why the session musicians are not listed on the album. (They weren't under contract to MGM). It also lists the musicians; ten of the finest jazz players of the era- see photo

dyecraig

« Reply #6419 on: December 16, 2016, 07:52:09 pm »
yoko ono - plastic ono band
carefully working through the early yoko albums, digging this one.
could've been released yesterday.
bonus points for ornette.