Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2137786 times)

hutch

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #5895 on: August 14, 2016, 10:57:53 am »

I outgrew/got bored with Billy Joel decades ago and now find him to be a disinctively unpleasand and downright creepy person..He was one of the first popular musicians I listened to a lot as a youngster....regardless,. this album really is gold and says NYC/Philly/NJ 1970s popular culture like few others...really incredible stuff...Billy's core band supplemented by the usual roster of session musicians/pros (CTI, etc.)... this is the peak of Billy Joel....the first side is one of the great LP Side One's....

What prompted me to listen to this after many many years was that I noticed it has the rare Robert Ludwig RL on the deadwax... its not the first mastering (although came out same year of release) but is pretty hard to find and I've noticed so many of the great records sound best when Robert Ludwig had a role.. think Zeppelin's Brown Bomber, AC/DC Back in Black, etc etc.. I forget the story of why this mastering was done...I'll have to go back to the Steve Hoffman site to research it... you see this record in the dollar bins all the time.. but almost every time it is not the RL master...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 10:59:47 am by Michael Hutchinson Jenks »

killsaly

« Reply #5896 on: August 14, 2016, 03:08:40 pm »
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5897 on: August 14, 2016, 03:14:49 pm »

I outgrew/got bored with Billy Joel decades ago and now find him to be a disinctively unpleasand and downright creepy person..He was one of the first popular musicians I listened to a lot as a youngster....regardless,. this album really is gold and says NYC/Philly/NJ 1970s popular culture like few others...really incredible stuff...Billy's core band supplemented by the usual roster of session musicians/pros (CTI, etc.)... this is the peak of Billy Joel....the first side is one of the great LP Side One's....

What prompted me to listen to this after many many years was that I noticed it has the rare Robert Ludwig RL on the deadwax... its not the first mastering (although came out same year of release) but is pretty hard to find and I've noticed so many of the great records sound best when Robert Ludwig had a role.. think Zeppelin's Brown Bomber, AC/DC Back in Black, etc etc.. I forget the story of why this mastering was done...I'll have to go back to the Steve Hoffman site to research it... you see this record in the dollar bins all the time.. but almost every time it is not the RL master...
I will also defend The Stranger up and down. Not a huge Billy Joel fan but that album is loaded.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #5898 on: August 14, 2016, 09:24:47 pm »
Hank Williams

god I hate it when people call him "Hank Wiliams Sr."

There is only one "Hank Williams"

hutch

« Reply #5899 on: August 15, 2016, 10:21:43 am »
70s band "Detective".. I'd never heard about them til last week.. anyways if you like Led Zeppelin circa Physical Graffiti era like Trampled Underfoot this is for you.. This is Michael Des Barres' project after Silverhead....Apparently Jimmy Page sat in during recording and either produced half of the album or had some input depending on who you talk to.. came out on Led Zeppelin's label Swan Song...

Its kind of like a more Rod Stewart-ish lead singer fronting Led Zeppelin in the studio in 1975....

added: the drummer sounds so much like Bonham its uncanny...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 10:33:08 am by Michael Hutchinson Jenks »

killsaly

« Reply #5900 on: August 15, 2016, 10:24:38 am »
Dio - A Decade Of Dio 1983-1993 (Remastered) 6CD

hutch

« Reply #5901 on: August 16, 2016, 09:05:34 am »

one of my favorite musicians is Jorge Ben.. this is his first album- the US release of it two years after it was released in Brazil in 1963- and although it has a wobble/warp it plays great (if somewhat ugly on the first song the classic Mais que nada)... pretty excited to find it for $1.. not the kind of record you find for $1 these days...Now if I could just find Tabua!... this type of find is what qualifies as a GREAT FIND in my book and will have me going for a while...

killsaly

« Reply #5902 on: August 16, 2016, 12:13:12 pm »
Queensrÿche - Rage for Order

hutch

« Reply #5903 on: August 16, 2016, 01:45:00 pm »
Augustus Pablo - Africa must be free by..1983 dub

The more I listen to this guy the more I become convinced he was an utter genius...

weird thing is the first track- unity dub- i know i've heard a million times but i just got this record today in the mail.. i can't figure out where i heard it before.....its going to bother me til i find out.. its a really great tune

hutch

« Reply #5904 on: August 16, 2016, 02:10:53 pm »
Augustus Pablo- Valley of Jehosaphat

his final album from 1999.. I was worried it would suck but its actually pretty consistent with his groundbreaking stuff...

dyecraig

« Reply #5905 on: August 16, 2016, 02:41:10 pm »
Augustus Pablo - Africa must be free by..1983 dub

The more I listen to this guy the more I become convinced he was an utter genius...

weird thing is the first track- unity dub- i know i've heard a million times but i just got this record today in the mail.. i can't figure out where i heard it before.....its going to bother me til i find out.. its a really great tune
i know it's at least "let's all unite" by hugh mundell from the original album release, unless you'res saying pablo used that track with other artists, which was not an uncommon practice.

killsaly

« Reply #5906 on: August 17, 2016, 05:41:48 pm »
Crystal Castles - Amnesty (I)

killsaly

« Reply #5907 on: August 17, 2016, 06:09:43 pm »
Toxic Holocaust - Chemistry of Consciousness 

hutch

« Reply #5908 on: August 17, 2016, 11:06:18 pm »

German pressing..  german pressings always sound so  so good...  nice pickup of a legendary album

I dedicate this listening to Killsally.

RYM 2331

Yada

« Reply #5909 on: August 18, 2016, 10:09:53 am »
I'm dedicating this to kilsally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HjfiGHBlyA