Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2138468 times)

Starsky

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #10710 on: October 13, 2022, 11:20:55 am »
Sumner was such a great guitarist in Joy Division and early New Order. Fantastic guitar tone which can sound really harsh and menacing and crunchy. I love it. He is the ultimate post punk guitarist to me. It’s a true mark of his genius he got bored of guitar and got obsessed with synths and technology and kept growing but something was lost too. His guitar playing became very sedate and pretty as the 80s went on and he clearly got bored with the guitar. Same expanding horizons with Stephen Morris who also really got into digital sound, drum machines etc. They really took New order to a different level. None of this is meant to diminish Hook whose bass overlaid perfectly over the Morris/Sumner music. Never quite sure what Gillian does…or did on the albums; from Hook’s telling nothing! Maybe Morris’ second volume will explain this…it’s clear they needed her initially to play guitar so Sumner could focus more on singing and synths.

The other thing I can’t get over is how Morris claims coming up with the name new order had nothing to do with the third reich’s “new order for Europe”… I just don’t find it credible given Sumner and Curtis came up with Joy Division from a Holocaust survivor’s novella. It’s just such a bizarre coincidence that Joy Division had gotten flak for the name, some artwork, a crazy quote from Sumner introducing a song at a show AND by weird coincidence came up with the name for the Nazi’s reorganization of Europe but that’s their story!! In the Joy Division pictures Sumner looks like he lifted his dress from Germans, etc.

Starsky

« Reply #10711 on: October 13, 2022, 11:28:18 am »
Also from Morris’ book it’s clear the band was split from Ian. It was Ian and the rest. Curtis always got the nicer rooms when traveling and many fans really were almost more Ian fans than Joy Division. It seems plausible that had Ian lived he would have gone solo after The Closer tour. Or maybe there would have been one more album but that’s it.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10712 on: October 13, 2022, 12:26:04 pm »
<sig>

GAY,GUY

« Reply #10713 on: October 13, 2022, 02:03:47 pm »
The Cure, Disintegration

Wow, I am back in high school again, not knowing if I am gay or straight, and questioning the reasons to live.

Thanks, Robert . . . for controlling my youth emotions.

« Reply #10714 on: October 13, 2022, 02:33:16 pm »
the end of that show is Novelty -> Transmission...jez Bernie is a fucking guitar god
possibly two of my favorite JD songs

found this out today...is it worth seeking a recording of this?

Transmission was played by The Smashing Pumpkins on their Adore Tour in 1998, with performances of the song usually lasting from 15 to 25 minutes
for some reason I could see the pumpkins fans not even knowing this was a JD song

Ok this is cool...hooky joined them onstage for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMTlhowCuBo
edit...kinda meh
hooky looking like Space with orange shirt and cargo shorts...looks funny with the others all in black

ok this one is kinda cool and total reworking of the song
https://youtu.be/o5VmkUqhGlM
but its got no bass chops at all
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 02:50:21 pm by King of hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #10715 on: October 13, 2022, 03:05:00 pm »
not knowing if I am gay or straight, and questioning the reasons to live.
Don’t leave us hanging: did you ever figure any of this out?
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #10716 on: October 13, 2022, 04:50:28 pm »
Peter Hook’s son is the bassist in Smashing Pumpkins

GAY,GUY

« Reply #10717 on: October 13, 2022, 05:34:22 pm »
not knowing if I am gay or straight, and questioning the reasons to live.
Don’t leave us hanging: did you ever figure any of this out?

I am both gay and straight at the same time. When I left high school, I was indeed, finally alive.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10718 on: October 13, 2022, 06:42:13 pm »
I am both gay and straight at the same time.

Schrodinger's ho
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #10719 on: October 13, 2022, 07:41:38 pm »
LVMH

GAY,GUY

« Reply #10720 on: October 13, 2022, 08:46:20 pm »
New, Christeene, is fucking awesome.

Starsky

« Reply #10721 on: October 14, 2022, 08:55:47 am »

GAY,GUY

« Reply #10722 on: October 14, 2022, 09:26:50 am »
I am taking a college class. Last night I almost had a breakdown, based on a fast approaching deadline and I was completely lost on how to finish.

Then I listened to Alanis Morissette's Thank U. I cried, and told myself that I can do anything.  I got the work done, and thought what I turned in was brilliant.

God, music, is everything.

Yada

« Reply #10723 on: October 14, 2022, 10:04:38 am »
Animal Collective covering Trains Across the Sea... interesting, but didn't hit like I had hoped.

Space Freely

« Reply #10724 on: October 16, 2022, 03:28:15 pm »
The old Ipod Classic serving up a nice oldies but goodies mix on the dogwalk today:

Pernice  Brothers
Miles Davis Quintet
Elvis Presley
Gregory Isaacs
Talking Heads
Stan Getz +Joao Gilberto
Stan Getz+ Astrud Gilberto
Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers