Author Topic: 5 Reasons Why Indie Rock Doesn't Rock  (Read 9829 times)

hutch

Re: 5 Reasons Why Indie Rock Doesn't Rock
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 03:00:41 pm »
ACDC has had maybe a half dozen good songs out of...how may songs have they recorded?

half a dozen? You're drunk. the entire back in black album- that is 10 songs for you young ones- is phenomenal.

half a dozen? seriously? listen to the music before talkin

but ok you get hung up on acdc fine.. the point was we need bands like acdc NOT acdc.. there is only one acdc.. bon scott- last time i checked -aint comin back

bands who sing songs about what rock and roll is.. girls, havin an actual good time.. partying

stones, groovies, geils, acdc, berry.. when you get away from that its BORING and its not rock and roll so don't be surprised when no one gives a shit.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 03:02:58 pm »
how may songs have they recorded?

one.
<sig>

ggw

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 03:03:21 pm »
Comets on fire broke up, didn't they. It's too bad. Their last show at the Black Cat was great. They played every song like it was THE song. The world needs more Comets on Fire.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 03:04:11 pm »
are they, like, an AC/DC cover band?
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 03:05:31 pm »
how may songs have they recorded?

one.

yeah whatever.. and chuck berry wrote one song too and that song - recorded in 50 variations- spawned the beatles AND rolling stones..

whats your point?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 03:08:14 pm »
hutch - i was makin' jokin'.  i like ac/dc, even if their catalog is variations on a single theme (and that theme is "let's kick ass" ;D)
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 03:11:03 pm »
hutch - i was makin' jokin'.  i like ac/dc, even if their catalog is variations on a single theme (and that theme is "let's kick ass" ;D)

ac dc is what its all about.. if you don't get ac dc you just don't get rock and roll.

In the beginning
Back in nineteen fifty-five
Man didn't know about a rock 'n' roll show
And all that jive
The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news
He said -
"Let there be sound," and there was sound
"Let there be lights," and there was lights
"Let there be drums," and there was drums
"Let there be guitar," and there was guitar
"Let there be rock"
And it came to pass
That rock 'n' roll was born
All across the land every rockin' band
Was blowing up a storm
The guitar man got famous
The businessman got rich
And in every bar there was a super star
With a seven year itch
There were fifteen million fingers
Learning how to play
And you could hear the fingers picking
And this is what they had to say
"Let there be light"
"Sound"
"Drums"
"Guitar"
"Let there be rock"
One night in a club called 'The Shaking Hand'
There was a forty-two decibel rocking band
The music was good and the music was loud
And the singer turned and he said to the crowd -
"Let there be rock"
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 03:12:34 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 03:20:41 pm »
I agree with article. indie hiPSTERS make me want to puke..

this particularly hit home:

02. I Am Irony Maaaaan

This is one that really pisses me off. For some reason the indie hipster crowd need everything to be an ironic joke. It?s as if they?re afraid to take anything seriously because it might force them to have to take responsibility for what they do. If the whole thing is a nudge-nudge-wink-wink bit of humor, then when the music sucks they can claim it was all a big punch line. The bigger problem is they take everything that once mattered and make it their little joke. They wear Iron Maiden and AC/DC shirts ironically, then talk about bands like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and so on with a mocking tone. This lack of reverence for these bands translates to a lack of understanding and thusly a lack of being able to rock. For some of us this music is everything, it?s the lifeblood and watching bands belittle it for their pathetic little scene sucks.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 03:36:38 pm »
I most appreciated the fact where he tells us what music you cant listen to 'to get it on'. Im paraphrasing because no way in hell am i subjecting even more time to that article.

I guess Death Cab, BSS and others are just not good music that you can possibly swoon a woman with. I dunno transatlantacism is a pretty good album just for that reason. im not saying 'it rocks', but damn - who the hell needs that kind of music if youre just trying to have sex.
HeyLa

azaghal1981

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 07:37:10 pm »
I have heard mixed things. They did play the Sub Pop 20th anniversary fest as well as some European shows not that long ago. I plan on hounding Chasny about it if I can bring myself to go to a Lambert venue next week. Chasny can do no wrong but Ethan's band Howlin' Rain is garbage.

Comets on fire broke up, didn't they. It's too bad. Their last show at the Black Cat was great. They played every song like it was THE song. The world needs more Comets on Fire.
احمد

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 08:15:21 pm »
well

04. Don?t Dress The Part, Kick Out The Jams!! - this is why I fart in the general direction of bands like Free Energy it's like a bunch of kids who watched that 70s show one to many times and playing dress-up

03. Genre Layering Won?t Save You - this one is a personal pet peeve of mine...

The availability of GarageBand has resulted in nothing more than endless records that sound like warmed over demos.  I also wonder how many bands even bother to master their final product anymore. 

Before the advent of GarageBand, bands spent time playing gigs honing their craft before taking time to record.  Now they get together write, record and hope the blogsphere begins the hype.  So many over hyped band get out on tours without doing serious time in front of an audience before hand...

There is a reason why records of yore still sound good, it's because it they were recorded in proper studios with a producer and engineer.   I've been listening to lots of 80s remixes of late and then they were done in a studio by the manipulation of tape, etc.   Remixing is all the rage now, problem now is their done by Indie Rock Hacks sitting in front of a laptop with Garage band.

I wonder when the last time a band listened to a final mix in say a car.  I guess if the final product sounds good on crappy ear buds that's all that matter anymore

And of course the ability to auto-tune any crappy singer makes for even crappy live performances...

ultra snide remark, based on the band feature on NPR this morning it would appear folk music is now code for anyone who can't sing or write decent songs
T.Rex

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 09:51:18 pm »
All I know is that I recently got satellite radio and it really is a rarity to hear one of their alt stations play something that "rocks". Not counting the silly Lithium channel.

when sirius began . . . they were awesome.  awesome.  now they suck.  all music stations overplay all music, most being reduced to loop computers controlled programming.  not even stern can save that sinking ship.  i only listen to the gay channel and the news now . . . the only good stuff left.

I bought a new car so I have a 3 month Sirius trial. The only 2 stations I have programed are SiriusXMU and the Deep Tracks one. For XMU I sometimes listen on my morning and evening commute and I've seriously heard maybe 20 different songs over the last 3 weeks. They play the same songs over and over and over. I thought the indie station would at least play a wider variety...

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 09:59:57 pm »
jet sucks
(o|o)

Mobius

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 10:43:33 pm »
MGMT rock indily. 

azaghal1981

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 11:14:26 pm »
Not much of an MGMT fan but I will give them credit where it is due.
They did an excellent job with this song.
احمد