Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2694763 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #3420 on: October 26, 2011, 04:17:26 pm »
tune-yards did two shows in one night on a saturday and she and her band went on at 10:30 pm for the late show, doors at 9. I'm hoping M83 will play more than an hour.

P.S.: Active Child sucks
(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #3421 on: October 26, 2011, 05:03:55 pm »
gosh if M83 plays hour long sets then never mind

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3422 on: October 26, 2011, 05:13:59 pm »
joe: late show.

i have no idea how long M83 will play for, but based on that schedule they'll only have an hour or 1:15 for the early show.  if they play longer than that, then the second show will start later than scheduled.  i certainly hope they play for more than an hour. 

obviously they don't have the same time contraint for the late show, hopefully we get a longer set ;D  i forget how long their set was on the last tour.

i might have an extra for the late show.  i most likely won't know for sure until friday.
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #3423 on: October 26, 2011, 06:57:35 pm »
Yeah this.

I would say the late schedule will look like this. 9:00 doors, 9:45 Active Child, 10:45-11 M83, 12-12:15 end of show.
Historically, shows at the Black Cat tend to start later and end later on Fridays, like 12:00 or 12:15, because the Metro runs later. I suspect there'll be a longer gap between the openers and M83 in the later set. I'd be surprised if M83 took the stage before 10:30.

If anyone has extra ticket to M83, please PM me.

W/R/T last tour, I am not quite sure on the exact length of the show but I wanna say it was on the shorter side. I was able to catch it all and make it in time to the Velvet for The Homosexuals.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 07:01:09 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

Unsanity

« Reply #3424 on: October 27, 2011, 03:17:31 am »
I'm getting excited for Boris on Saturday. I have not seen Liturgy yet so that will be cool as well. Anyone else gonna be there?

Christine Moritz

« Reply #3425 on: October 27, 2011, 11:08:52 am »
I started the week with plans only to go to the Little Dragon show on Sat. 10/29 and possibly the DJ Rekha show that follows it.

Then I ended up seeing Matthew Sweet at the Birchmere last night (a friend won free tickets), and will be catching Medeski, Martin, and Wood with Antibalas tonight.

A busier-than-anticipated week!

hutch

« Reply #3426 on: October 27, 2011, 12:07:12 pm »
I started the week with plans only to go to the Little Dragon show on Sat. 10/29 and possibly the DJ Rekha show that follows it.

Then I ended up seeing Matthew Sweet at the Birchmere last night (a friend won free tickets), and will be catching Medeski, Martin, and Wood with Antibalas tonight.

A busier-than-anticipated week!

cool.. i'll be at mmw tonight too.. i usually am around the left side bar facing the stage..p-rob wearing a hat

Bags

« Reply #3427 on: October 27, 2011, 01:18:06 pm »
Saw Wild Flag and Dum Dum Girls last week -- agree that Wild Flag was better the first time, both in the actual playing and that the songs were all brand new and were such a delightful surprise.  But I enjoyed the show last week as well.

Then, what the hell was up with the Dum Dum Girls?  I have two albums, music is fun.  Thought it would be a no-brainer post-DC United fun time on a Saturday night.  Man, not the case -- no fizz, no energy, no...nothing.  Very disappointing.

Saw Matthew Sweet last night -- "Girlfriend" is a great, great album so it was great for me.  Do no like the Birchmere for a power pop show.  I wanted to show more enthusiasm than I could.

Seeing Naked and Famous Friday.  Fingers crossed for a good show.

Then I've got nothing until Joy Formidable/Social D/Foo at Verizon.

Bags

« Reply #3428 on: October 27, 2011, 01:22:13 pm »
Oh yeah, also saw the Wombats and Postelles last Friday.  Early show.  Enjoyed both -- perfect for an early Friday show, got my energy up for later Friday night festivities around town.  I'd see the Wombats again...

Yada

« Reply #3429 on: October 27, 2011, 02:20:44 pm »
Anyone catch Portugul. the Man?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3430 on: October 27, 2011, 02:34:37 pm »
Oh man, the only thing worse than wearing a band's shirt to their show is wearing a shirt of their PREVIOUS bands!  ;)

so in this scale, where does bands wearing their own shirts on stage rank?
<sig>

Darth Ed

« Reply #3431 on: October 27, 2011, 03:05:38 pm »
Saw Wild Flag and Dum Dum Girls last week -- agree that Wild Flag was better the first time, both in the actual playing and that the songs were all brand new and were such a delightful surprise.  But I enjoyed the show last week as well.
Aw, I missed you, Bags! I was there too, but I didn't see you. I agree Wild Flag wasn't as tight as the first show, but the song they played to end their main set was pretty awesome with Carrie knocking over the mic stand and generally going nuts. That was better than anything in the first show, but the first show was better overall, I'd agree. Splitting hairs though. For my money, these two Wild Flag shows were two of the top 5 shows of the year so far.

nkotb

« Reply #3432 on: October 27, 2011, 05:15:50 pm »
It's a proven FACT that only two groups of people can wear their own shirts:

1) Members of hard rock/metal bands.

2) Pro Wrestlers.

Oh man, the only thing worse than wearing a band's shirt to their show is wearing a shirt of their PREVIOUS bands!  ;)

so in this scale, where does bands wearing their own shirts on stage rank?

azaghal1981

« Reply #3433 on: October 27, 2011, 10:19:53 pm »
Fanfarlo @ Mercury Lounge Thurs night.

does anyone know if casiokids has an upcoming dc show this coming weekend? or what is going on thats worth checking out?

This is at Comet if nothing else listed here is your bag.

Saturday, October 29

10:00pm 

Foul Swoops, Wax Idols (HoZac), Terry Malts (Slumberland)

احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3434 on: October 28, 2011, 12:58:16 pm »
i might have an extra for the late show.  i most likely won't know for sure until friday.

confirmed, i'm flying solo tonight.  who needs?  selling at cost, of course, but wouldn't object to a thank-you beer ;D (sold)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 03:55:13 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>