Author Topic: 100 favorite musical acts  (Read 2399 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: 100 favorite musical acts
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2024, 01:18:01 pm »
Neil Young is duck confit...check

Bagley

« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2024, 01:50:17 pm »
Yeah I had a pretty heated conversation with my uncle 20 years ago about how Bob Dylan was a great singer.

I have given up on having that conversation with people

I think Bob Dylan is for people who catch him at the right place in their lives, and he unlocks something for them that doesn't happen for the rest of us who miss that opportunity. I recognize his talent and influence. He brings something unique and special to the fans of his that found him at a time in their lives when his impact was seismic to their music appreciation and enjoyment. But I cannot get him, I can't stand him, and I also had a roommate whom I couldn't stand who loved Dylan, so that was another strike against him for me. I am glad people enjoy him, but for me he might as well be Dave Matthews. It's like trying to get me to enjoy a rare duck breast with blood oozing out of it. It ain't gonna happen, and it's just not my thing. Now duck confit is another story. That might be more along the lines of Neil Young...and I'm a BIG fan of his.

Bearman-  I have the utmost regard for your musical opinions but the mention of Dave Matthews and Bob Dylan in the same sentence is utter blasphemy

bearman🐻

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2024, 02:05:40 pm »
Yeah I had a pretty heated conversation with my uncle 20 years ago about how Bob Dylan was a great singer.

I have given up on having that conversation with people

I think Bob Dylan is for people who catch him at the right place in their lives, and he unlocks something for them that doesn't happen for the rest of us who miss that opportunity. I recognize his talent and influence. He brings something unique and special to the fans of his that found him at a time in their lives when his impact was seismic to their music appreciation and enjoyment. But I cannot get him, I can't stand him, and I also had a roommate whom I couldn't stand who loved Dylan, so that was another strike against him for me. I am glad people enjoy him, but for me he might as well be Dave Matthews. It's like trying to get me to enjoy a rare duck breast with blood oozing out of it. It ain't gonna happen, and it's just not my thing. Now duck confit is another story. That might be more along the lines of Neil Young...and I'm a BIG fan of his.

Bearman-  I have the utmost regard for your musical opinions but the mention of Dave Matthews and Bob Dylan in the same sentence is utter blasphemy

Hahahaha...that was intentional. That is how much I cannot tolerate Bob Dylan. Trust me, I'm disappointed in myself too. But I just DO. NOT. GET. HIM. Is it the lyrics? I can't get past the voice. I find it so acrid and it permeates everything in such a manner that I can't get past the aural stench.

Frosty Finger

« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2024, 02:07:21 pm »
Bob’s music is appreciated by people of all ages all over the world discovering it at completely different points in their lives under completely varied circumstances. So this idea about needing to discover it at some particular point in life wherein one has a specific need seems a bit hamfisted.

And it’s not just about the music. The man has won the Nobel Prize for LITERATURE!

I mean I don’t know….some people say it’s all subjective but kind of beggars belief that it’s not great art and universal. Also, since he has written in so many different styles, performed with so many different musicians in so many different styles, sang with so many different voices and wore so many different masks it’s hard to believe none of it appeals to you at all.

Didn’t George Harrison say the only musician of our time that people will still listen to 500 years from now is Bob Dylan? Or have I been making that up for decades?

And when you write “I can’t stand him”….wow… I don’t enjoy listening to Coltrane’s Ascension but I still appreciate what he is trying to do….
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 02:11:17 pm by Hutch »

bearman🐻

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2024, 02:29:31 pm »
Bob’s music is appreciated by people of all ages all over the world discovering it at completely different points in their lives under completely varied circumstances. So this idea about needing to discover it at some particular point in life wherein one has a specific need seems a bit hamfisted.

And it’s not just about the music. The man has won the Nobel Prize for LITERATURE!

I mean I don’t know….some people say it’s all subjective but kind of beggars belief that it’s not great art and universal. Also, since he has written in so many different styles, performed with so many different musicians in so many different styles, sang with so many different voices and wore so many different masks it’s hard to believe none of it appeals to you at all.

Didn’t George Harrison say the only musician of our time that people will still listen to 500 years from now is Bob Dylan? Or have I been making that up for decades?

And when you write “I can’t stand him”….wow… I don’t enjoy listening to Coltrane’s Ascension but I still appreciate what he is trying to do….

Let's play a game. Gimme one LP I should listen to. I'll do it and get back to you.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2024, 02:30:23 pm »

Chuck Klosterman definitely makes this argument in that But What If We're Wrong essay collection.
LVMH

Frosty Finger

« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2024, 02:35:12 pm »
That’s a lot of pressure Bearman….will have to think about it….

Like you say you hate his voice but have you heard Nashville Skyline?

Are you a romantic person? I cannot imagine one not appreciating Blood on the tracks!

Does folk appeal to you at all? Freewheeling Bob Dylan

How about one of Hendrix’s favorites John Wesley Harding. Amazing biblical music.

If you like punk seek out the YouTube of Bob backed by the Plugz on Letterman

I could go on all day

Frosty Finger

« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2024, 02:51:47 pm »
But it’s not like I want to convert anyone.

One is fully capable of living a fulfilling life without Bob Dylan

Bagley

« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2024, 03:00:05 pm »
Bearman-

Just curious.  Do you feel the same way about Tom Waits?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2024, 03:02:26 pm »
Bearman-

I know this was directed at Bearman but I just want to chime in that I loathe Tom Waits. One of the few artists worse than The Clash.
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2024, 03:30:37 pm »
That’s a lot of pressure Bearman….will have to think about it….

Like you say you hate his voice but have you heard Nashville Skyline?

Are you a romantic person? I cannot imagine one not appreciating Blood on the tracks!

Does folk appeal to you at all? Freewheeling Bob Dylan

How about one of Hendrix’s favorites John Wesley Harding. Amazing biblical music.

If you like punk seek out the YouTube of Bob backed by the Plugz on Letterman

I could go on all day

I'm a homo, so bear in mind that biblical music probably won't resonate with me. Use some of these as my reference points for what speaks to me: Paul Westerberg, Elliott Smith, Kristin Hersh, Neil Young (After the Gold Rush and Zuma are my go-tos), Tom Rush, Flying Burrito Brothers/Gram Parsons, Lee Hazlewood.

Freewheeling is probably more up my alley. But if you've got other thoughts based on where I was going, I'm going to try again.

One thing I've learned about myself is that even bands I used to hate, I can develop an appreciation for later on. The one Dylan song I actually enjoy is "Like a Rolling Stone". No doubt, that is a great song. Ironically...many artists I love find Dylan hugely influential. So my dislike of what I've heard from him confounds even me because I always thought I'd find something that would speak to me. Haven't yet though, at least nothing as a complete work/artistic statement.

bearman🐻

« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2024, 03:31:58 pm »
Bearman-

Waits, though brilliant, hasn't grabbed my attention fully yet. But I haven't had the same visceral reaction as I've had to the Dylan I've tried to listen to.

Mobius

« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2024, 03:54:28 pm »
BLONDE ON BLONDE (but skip over outlier opener Rainy Day Women)

Yada

« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2024, 04:30:45 pm »
New Morning, bearman!!! If you can't like this album, you can't like any dylan album! Do it!

« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2024, 04:47:57 pm »
Bearman-

I know this was directed at Bearman but I just want to chime in that I loathe Tom Waits. One of the few artists worse than The Clash.
whoa, that's big!
slack