Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 634801 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #1860 on: November 03, 2016, 10:46:11 am »
I took off work today. Last night was epic. Went to a Cubbies bar in rva, ran up a $170 tab and have a long form piece of Julian journalism coming up. Not a cubs fan but the experience was wild.
LVMH

« Reply #1861 on: November 03, 2016, 10:48:35 am »
while I don't follow baseball...I do find this a very interesting story line....

Theo Epstein (born 1973...ONLY 42) is the President of Baseball Operations for the Chicago Cubs.

Epstein became the youngest general manager in the history of Major League Baseball when the Boston Red Sox hired him at the age of 28. In 2004, the Red Sox won their first World Series championship in 86 years

2011 he resigned from his job in Boston to become President of Baseball Operations for the Chicago Cubs who would win the 2016 World Series, its first in 108 years.

Baby's got SAUCE!

slack

hutch

« Reply #1862 on: November 03, 2016, 11:04:52 am »
I took off work today. Last night was epic. Went to a Cubbies bar in rva, ran up a $170 tab and have a long form piece of Julian journalism coming up. Not a cubs fan but the experience was wild.

damn

« Reply #1863 on: November 03, 2016, 11:18:47 am »
while I don't follow baseball...I do find this a very interesting story line....

Theo Epstein (born 1973...ONLY 42) is the President of Baseball Operations for the Chicago Cubs.

Epstein became the youngest general manager in the history of Major League Baseball when the Boston Red Sox hired him at the age of 28. In 2004, the Red Sox won their first World Series championship in 86 years

2011 he resigned from his job in Boston to become President of Baseball Operations for the Chicago Cubs who would win the 2016 World Series, its first in 108 years.

Baby's got SAUCE!

He's legitimately in GOAT territory as far as GMs. /hottake
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #1864 on: November 03, 2016, 11:33:14 am »
I look forward to Theo's arrival in DC as the "Curse of the politico" needs to be broken... Washington's MLB team has not won a World Series since 1924...

« Reply #1865 on: November 03, 2016, 11:39:40 am »
I look forward to Theo's arrival in DC as the "Curse of the politico" needs to be broken... Washington's MLB team has not won a World Series since 1924...
False equivalency bro. They also didn't exist for decades in that period. It's like saying the Jacksonville jaguars haven't won a super bowl in 129 years. It's true but it's also intellectually dishonest.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #1866 on: November 03, 2016, 11:44:23 am »
False equivalency bro. They also didn't exist for decades in that period. It's like saying the Jacksonville jaguars haven't won a super bowl in 129 years. It's true but it's also intellectually dishonest.

Our beloved Nats have not won in 92 years!!!!!!! Longer than even the Red Sox drought!

Fire Rizzo and replace him with Theo... the curse of the politico must end!

hutch

« Reply #1867 on: November 03, 2016, 11:47:30 am »
My father and I have never seen the Nats win!!!!!!!!! Please lord let them win before my dad passes on... its all he wants Theo!

My grandfather witnessed this as a young lad...and the story has been passed on since then in family lore....

1924: World champions[edit]
In 1924, Griffith named 27-year-old second baseman Bucky Harris player-manager. Led by the hitting of Goose Goslin and Sam Rice, and a solid pitching staff headlined by the 36-year-old Johnson, the Senators captured their first American League pennant, two games ahead of Babe Ruth and the New York Yankees.

Washington's Bucky Harris scores on his home run in the fourth inning of Game 7 of the 1924 World Series.
The Senators faced John McGraw's heavily favored New York Giants in the 1924 World Series.[11] Despite Johnson losing both of his starts, the Senators kept pace to tie the Series at three games apiece and force Game 7. The Senators trailed the Giants 3-1 in the eighth inning of Game 7, when Bucky Harris hit a routine ground ball to third which hit a pebble and took a bad hop over Giants third baseman Freddie Lindstrom. Two runners scored on the play, tying the score at three.[12] In the ninth inning with the game tied, 3?3, Harris brought in an aging Johnson to pitch on just one day of rest ? he had been the losing pitcher in Game 5. Johnson held the Giants scoreless into extra innings. In the bottom of the twelfth inning, Muddy Ruel hit a high foul ball near home plate.[13] The Giants' catcher, Hank Gowdy, dropped his protective face mask to field the ball but, failing to toss the mask aside, stumbled over it and dropped the ball, thus giving Ruel another chance to bat.[13] On the next pitch, Ruel hit a double and, then proceeded to score the winning run when Earl McNeely hit a ground ball that took another bad hop over Lindstrom's head.[12][13] It was the only World Series triumph for the franchise during their 60-year tenure in Washington.

bob72

« Reply #1868 on: November 03, 2016, 11:51:47 am »
I moved back to Illinois two weeks ago and I appear to be the only person who doesn't give a flying fuck about the Cubs
PENIS

« Reply #1869 on: November 03, 2016, 11:55:46 am »
I moved back to Illinois two weeks ago and I appear to be the only person who doesn't give a flying fuck about the Cubs
wait...so we won't be seeing you in the mosh pit or the half pipe anymore
slack

hutch

« Reply #1870 on: November 03, 2016, 11:55:50 am »

oh no.. you've moved? what gives?

we hardly knew you Bob72 but we will miss you......

« Reply #1871 on: November 03, 2016, 11:56:01 am »

Our beloved Nats have not won in 92 years!!!!!!! Longer than even the Red Sox drought!

Yes and Richmond hasn't won the World Series in 240 years. Ignore the fact they have no team. Embrace the narrative.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #1872 on: November 03, 2016, 12:01:26 pm »

Yes and Richmond hasn't won the World Series in 240 years. Ignore the fact they have no team. Embrace the narrative.

How can you compare a city without a baseball team to one that had one of the initial 8 historic MLB franchises??? We've been around since 1908... at least.. some take the Washington Nationals back to 1891!!!!!!!

and yet we have been cursed....all because of that time that Herbert Hoover threw the first pitch and some yahoo yelled out "Hey Hoover you fat fuck.. you fucking destroyed our economy loser!" after which Hoover cursed the Nats and said we would not win again...and so it has come to pass.... AMerican League, National League, Nationals, Senators.. it doesn't matter.. we can't win...

« Reply #1873 on: November 03, 2016, 12:20:49 pm »
I agree about the part where fat people are yelled at.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #1874 on: November 03, 2016, 05:13:25 pm »

Baby's got SAUCE!

Yes.  Theo is a God among mere mortals.

Although, there was an A's fan in the bar last night who challenged him to repeat this feat with a small market team.

I bet he could still do it.
27>34