Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1369751 times)

Barcelona

Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #1680 on: December 08, 2008, 06:09:50 pm »
This weekend, El Clasico. Barcelona Real Madrid. Watch it if you can, should be good. With Xavi, Messi, Etoo, Henry... we are playing extremely well this year. The only one we are missing is Iniesta who is now injured.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1681 on: December 08, 2008, 06:19:06 pm »
thanks for the reminder. dvr set
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1682 on: December 09, 2008, 01:43:26 pm »
UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Tuesday, Dec 9

2:00pm PSV Eindhoven vs Liverpool (Set - KO 2:45pm)
2:45pm Chelsea vs CFR (ESPN2)
5:00pm Weder Bremen vs Inter (ESPN Classic)
5:45pm Panathinaikos vs Anorthosis (Set)
7:30pm Basel vs Sporting Lisbon (Set)

Wednesday, Dec 10

2:30pm FC Porto vs Arsenal (Set)
2:45pm Man United vs Aalborg (ESPN2)
5:00pm Real Madrid vs Zenit St Petersburg (ESPN Classic)
5:45pm Dynamo Kiev vs Fenerbahce (SET)
7:30pm Lyon vs Bayern Munich (Set)
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1683 on: December 09, 2008, 01:48:59 pm »
which are the two that actually mean something
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1684 on: December 09, 2008, 02:02:31 pm »
which are the two that actually mean something

Roma needs a win or draw vs Bordouex (oddly not on TV)
Panathinaikos vs Anothorsis (winner goes on, draw puts Panathinaikos through)
Chelsea needs to win, although a draw with other consequences puts them through.

The rest of the who finishes first and who plays in UEFA Cup would take me an hour figure out, so I won't bother.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1685 on: December 09, 2008, 03:17:17 pm »
first and second doesnt mean much in my opinion

i cant see roma losing at home to bordeaux

i usually only get interested in the knockout round
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1686 on: December 09, 2008, 04:09:35 pm »
I'm actually looking forward to the Panathinaikos vs Anorthosis match because it's Greeks vs Cypriots and with any luck the Cypriot team will have some Turks on it.  I'm always interested in the Foreign Policy angle...that being said, if the football sucks, I will likely fast forward 15 minutes in and just watch the goals and last 10 minutes if it's still close.
27>34

Ulsterfry

• I love music, Footy and mashed potatoes
« Reply #1687 on: December 09, 2008, 10:05:06 pm »
I love the Foreign Policy aspect of Footy, too. Have you read the books "How Soccer explains the world" or Soccer against the Enemy"? Both are excellent books about how politics and policy effect football. It also delves into the hooligan element of the sport--which I also find interesting.

If you get the chance check those two books out. They are both well written and are pretty quick reads.

brennser

« Reply #1688 on: December 09, 2008, 10:47:58 pm »
I love the Foreign Policy aspect of Footy, too. Have you read the books "How Soccer explains the world" or Soccer against the Enemy"? Both are excellent books about how politics and policy effect football. It also delves into the hooligan element of the sport--which I also find interesting.

If you get the chance check those two books out. They are both well written and are pretty quick reads.

another good one that I read recently is "The Neurotic Genius of Dutch Football" - at times its a little forced but plenty of good stuff in there for a fan, and for fans of Irish football the epilogue has a great piece on the Dutch losing out to the Irish in 2002 qualifying

welcome to the board Ulsterfry......hope theres no pork in your Ulster fry this week  :P

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1689 on: December 10, 2008, 09:59:24 am »
ulster fry doesnt have the black pudding, right?

thats the best part
o/\o

brennser

« Reply #1690 on: December 10, 2008, 12:55:17 pm »
ulster fry doesnt have the black pudding, right?

thats the best part

I think its something to do with the presense or absence of soda farls

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1691 on: December 10, 2008, 01:00:28 pm »
you can farl whoever you want, but less pork = less good
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1692 on: December 10, 2008, 01:50:00 pm »
IHave you read the books "How Soccer explains the world" or Soccer against the Enemy"?

It also delves into the hooligan element of the sport--which I also find interesting.

Back before this board ahd a meltdown, I posted reviews of both of those books.  I read them at least once every couple years (usually in the off-season of non World Cup or Euro tournaments).

And if you are interested in the hooliganism, I'm sure you've read "Among the Thugs" - but if you haven't, you're in for a treat.
27>34

Ulsterfry

• I love music, Footy and mashed potatoes
« Reply #1693 on: December 10, 2008, 10:17:59 pm »
Just so there's no confusion...there's nothing good in an Ulsterfry. It contains both pork and black pudding. But it's a great way to start your day!!! Nothing better!

Thanks for reminding me about the Genius of Dutch football book. I just added it to my Christmas list. I've heard from several people that it was a good book. Hopefully Santa will bring it this year!

Of course I've read Among the Thugs. Brillant book. I loved the realism of it. I also enjoyed reading Hoolifan--30 years of hurt" as well as "Everywhere we go--behind the Matchday Madness." Both books are good inside looks at hooliganism. But I must say Hoolifan is my favorite of the two.

Has anyone read either "Football Hooliganism-a century of passion and fashion" or "Football Hooliganism--Knowing the Score (Explorations in Anthropology)."  Both of these books have been recommended to me but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet. They sound good.

I'm trying to get to London for the Chelsea/Bolton match in April. I think I'll be in town for it and a friend has promised me two tickets. My first time at Stanford Bridge.....looking forward to it. Got my gear all picked out.  ;D

vansmack

« Reply #1694 on: December 10, 2008, 11:46:29 pm »
Got my gear all picked out.  ;D

I'd go with this:

27>34