Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1369780 times)

vansmack

Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #2160 on: June 03, 2009, 01:02:26 pm »
what are your thoughts on the tevez to shitty rumors? this could affect my prem watching next year

Like all moves, it depends on the price.  I know United were working behind the scenes to convince Tevez to leave Joorabchian, and I think that failed.  Anything short of that and I think he leaves so I hope shitty overpay for him.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2161 on: June 03, 2009, 01:48:00 pm »
I nearly forgot about this....

WORLD CUP QUALIFYING

Wednesday, June 3

10:00PM Costa Rica v United States (ESPN)
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2162 on: June 04, 2009, 06:41:59 pm »
I nearly forgot about this....

I wish I had forgotten about that.  Worst performance in years....

I've cancelled Setanta for the summer so I'm not posting the wide array of matches on TV this weekend.  There are no good games on FSC so go to the bar to see the good games, if there are any.

WORLD CUP QUALIFIER

Saturday, June 6

6:30PM United States vs Honduras (ESPN)
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2163 on: June 08, 2009, 12:24:09 pm »
This really is the break ESPN has been waiting for.....

Sports Broadcaster Setanta on the Brink
By Ainsley Thomson

LONDON -- The board of privately held Setanta Sports Holdings Ltd. will hold an emergency meeting Monday amid press reports the sports broadcaster could file for insolvency as early as this week, people familiar with the matter said.

Financial-services firm Deloitte is set to step in as administrator unless the company can come up with a rescue plan, the people said.

The meeting comes after Setanta failed to make a £3 million ($4.8 million) payment to the Scottish Premier League for its soccer broadcast rights, due Monday.

Adding to the pressure on Setanta is a looming payment to England's Premier League of around £30 million due early next week.

Setanta declined to comment.

Setanta has been in discussions with its main investors -- Goldman Sachs, venture capital fund Balderton Capital, private-equity firm Doughty Hanson and hedge fund Montrica -- for the past six months to try to secure funding. A board meeting last Saturday reportedly have failed to secure a rescue deal.

The Dublin-based company paid £392 million for two of the six packages of Premiership, now the Premier League, broadcast rights.

However, in February the company only managed to secure one package for 2010 to 2013, while rival British Sky Broadcasting PLC got the others, casting doubt over Setanta's future.

News Corp, owner of Dow Jones, publisher of The Wall Street Journal, holds a roughly 39% stake in BSkyB.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2164 on: June 08, 2009, 12:32:02 pm »
i kept setanta for the weekend to watch ireland/bulgaria but i was too exhausted from 4 days straight days of double digit drinking to watch it yesterday. do they have espn in the uk?
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #2165 on: June 08, 2009, 12:55:47 pm »
do they have espn in the uk?

They have ESPN Classic, which I predicted would be come ESPN 3 for soccer, and ESPN America, however ESPN America focuses on US sports.  ESPN America took over a channel formerly owned by.....Setanta.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2166 on: June 08, 2009, 01:00:43 pm »
And for the record, I don't know if they'll want the one UK package Setanta held on to, but I have no doubt that they will want the US rights to the Premiership.

ESPN Classic is already being moved off the free tiers of cable and satellite packaes for ESPNU and will be moved to the Sports Pack type tier.  That will be increased revenue, probably enough to pay for the EPL.  It really could mean no extra subscription fee for Setanta next season and both FSC and ESPN3/Soccer as part of the sports pack for one price.  That would be sweet.
27>34

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #2167 on: June 08, 2009, 01:18:39 pm »
Hey, I have a (stupid, I know) soccer question. With that UEFA club championship thing, does only one team (the champion) from each league get into it or are their more than one from each? Also, is it only for each country's premier league or do the smaller leagues get to send their champions/teams too?

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2168 on: June 08, 2009, 01:21:05 pm »
in a nut shell, the better the league the more teams they send. england, spain and italy get 4 and it goes down from there
o/\o

« Reply #2169 on: June 08, 2009, 01:23:19 pm »
in a nut shell, the better the league the more teams they send. england, spain and italy get 4 and it goes down from there
But in each country aren't their multiple leagues or levels that teams can be promoted or demoted to? Is England's (for example) 4 teams the four best teams from whatever-the-English-Premier-League-is-called or is like the champions of the 4 best leagues in England or some combination of the two?

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2170 on: June 08, 2009, 01:33:25 pm »
i'm sorry, its each country's top league. when you win the lower leagues, your reward is moving up the domestic system. once your in the top flight, its going to the champions league
o/\o

« Reply #2171 on: June 08, 2009, 01:38:33 pm »
i'm sorry, its each country's top league. when you win the lower leagues, your reward is moving up the domestic system. once your in the top flight, its going to the champions league
Gotcha.

Another question: are their fail-safes in place to stop a huge powerhouse team like Man U or Real Madrid (you know, the teams Americans have heard of!) from falling out of the top leagues? If not, has that ever happened? I know if the Dallas Cowboys or Detroit Red Wings had a bad year in their sport and we had that kinda system that it would cause all sorts of financial reprocussions to the leagues. Has that sort of thing occured before?

vansmack

« Reply #2172 on: June 08, 2009, 01:44:44 pm »
I'm going to use this example as I think the wound is too soft for Godsshoeshine...

Leeds United

Short answer is no.  If you finish in the bottom 3, you go down, regardless of your reputation and past history.
27>34

« Reply #2173 on: June 08, 2009, 01:50:46 pm »
And the leagues themself don't run into some sort of insolvency issue if an AC Milan or Man U spends 2-3 years in a lower division? That would cripple some American sports.

« Reply #2174 on: June 08, 2009, 01:56:14 pm »
I must say I do like the idea, especially because it makes late-season games between basement-dwellers all the more exciting and no one can tank for a top draft pick, I just don't see how it wouldn't cripple a league at some point. Heck, if they did it with the NHL and Colorado, the Isles, and Toronto got replaced -- even if only for one year -- by Hershey, Manitoba, and Houston, heck, the league would be screwed. The salary cap would plummet.