Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2692812 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #2295 on: July 07, 2010, 08:44:16 am »
sounds like easy listening jazz :o

The Nels Cline Singers on Thursday. I've only seen Nels with Wilco, but I've been listening to Initiate a lot since it came out, so I'm really looking forward to this show.
(_|_)

eltee

« Reply #2296 on: July 07, 2010, 03:52:20 pm »
Anyone going to She & Him or have seen them live? As much as I like them, just not sure about their sound in a live setting...

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2297 on: July 07, 2010, 04:19:53 pm »
^^they suck live and Zooey stares at you like she does in the movies.
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #2298 on: July 07, 2010, 04:56:12 pm »
You referring to the last two Wilco Albums?
sounds like easy listening jazz :o

The Nels Cline Singers on Thursday. I've only seen Nels with Wilco, but I've been listening to Initiate a lot since it came out, so I'm really looking forward to this show.
احمد

eltee

« Reply #2299 on: July 07, 2010, 09:07:36 pm »
^^they suck live and Zooey stares at you like she does in the movies.
Thanks for the feedback. I feel better about missing it...just can't think of where they'd fit, other than JJ or another small club.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #2300 on: July 08, 2010, 07:41:13 am »
Teenbeat Anniversary on Saturday:

Unrest
Versus
Bossanova
The Rondelles
Johnny Cohen

James Ford

« Reply #2301 on: July 08, 2010, 08:01:53 am »
Here's my feedback on the She and Him show.

This would have been better if it was a $15 show at the Birchmere. But they don't have $15 shows at the Birchmere.

I can't recall a show more packed that this one. We squeezed in front of poll in the very back, stage right. A number of people tried to maneuver after us, but there was nowhere for them to go and they were left unable to see. We had to crane our necks at times, and we're not short people. Total sweatbox. I was sweating profusely from every place you could imagine sweating, and some places you couldn't imagine. I can only imagine how badly the fat hairy guy who kept wiping himself with a wash cloth next to me felt. Fat hairy guys' 40something bleached blond friend kept gesticulating wildly (I think they call it middle age dancing), and I spent the entire show in fear that she was going to smack me with her hand or her flailing head. Thankfully, she didn't. All of these complaints would have been nonexistent if the show had been at the Birchmere.

And the show itself? Well Zooey may have been the second best looking woman in the building (actually maybe the fourth, the two sisters on backup vocals looked more attractive from my backrow vantage point), but she's not all that watchable. She's more annoying than cute. Bouncing like a rabied cheerleader, it's hard to see how a low key guy like M. Ward can put up with her, especially since he doesn't even get to fuck her. (I kept wondering if Ben was back home crying in his Miller Chill.) She does have a nice voice, and you can't go wrong with the guitar team of M Ward and Mike Coykendall. For all of her bouncing, many of the songs were pretty lifeless, though some (40%?) did actually catch spark. If only Zooey could buy a personality and some stage bantering chops. She did say that it was her first time in DC. Really??? Are we that insignificant? We did get M. Ward on lead vocals for two songs, so that was nice.

But alas, I didn't hate it, like one boardie told me I would. But that's probably because I set my expectations low, and because I was on a date with the sexiest woman in the building, and she like the show.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 08:11:35 am by James Ford »

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2302 on: July 08, 2010, 08:10:05 am »
^ what does your wife think of the show?
(_|_)

James Ford

« Reply #2303 on: July 08, 2010, 08:14:17 am »
Edited, meant to include that she like it. More than me.

On a side note, I think Zooey D. is one of those chicks that other chicks like more than guys do. Like Reese Witherspoon. Cute, but nonthreatening. I'm not referring to my wife's thoughts, but rather women in general. Am I right or wrong?

Mobius

« Reply #2304 on: July 08, 2010, 08:44:50 am »
Ironically, in the scene you just described, your wife would be played by Zooey Deschanel. 

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2305 on: July 08, 2010, 08:56:15 am »
were there hot women at the show?
were there more women than men?

On a side note, I think Zooey D. is one of those chicks that other chicks like more than guys do. Like Reese Witherspoon. Cute, but nonthreatening. I'm not referring to my wife's thoughts, but rather women in general. Am I right or wrong?

(_|_)

James Ford

« Reply #2306 on: July 08, 2010, 10:09:53 am »
We arrived at 9:25, grabbed a beer downstairs, and the show started. The crowd was so thick and and the room so dark, didn't really notice the attractiveness or male/female ratio. Of those I did see, I was wondering how many of them were regular concert goers vs. Zooey fans.

were there hot women at the show?
were there more women than men?

eltee

« Reply #2307 on: July 08, 2010, 11:34:08 am »
Thanks for the recap, Ford...I haven't been to the club in awhile and wondered how crowded & hot it might be yesterday. Glad I didn't go...the extra details helped paint the scene to what I imagined & missed. Zooey is herself, awkward at times,but sweet. & their music and her voice make up for it - esp. Ward. ;) Agree, tickets should have been cheaper. RHT / Birchmere, would have been better suited.
They have a different, more mature sound, so my guess is the ticket price and size of crowd more than likely are to see her (due to 500 Days of Summer notoriety). I can understand wanting to get a peek her or him though.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:42:35 am by Sugartastic Tee »

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #2308 on: July 09, 2010, 05:21:36 pm »
I saw them (She & Him) on the 4th in sweltering heat. Zooey was pretty bouncy and having a good time. She was adorable on stage (I guess women do like her quite a bit). We were far back and a friend started yelling about the order they played stuff in. We left before it ended to get off the island, but it was  a good time.

The bigger highlight was seeing Roseanne Cash. She was on another spot on the island and played for about 2 hours.

Tonight: Bear In Heaven @ South Street Seaport

Tomorrow: LAMC @ Summerstage

Sun: The Roots (most likely) @ Prospect Park.
HeyLa

bearman🐻

« Reply #2309 on: July 11, 2010, 02:45:34 am »
FANTASTIC Teenbeat Anniversary show. Anyone have a setlist for Unrest?