Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241382 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2820 on: June 11, 2013, 01:52:32 pm »
Speedway Stout. Yum. Already have a couple aging in my basement.

Yep, Cigar City is on my mental list. Didn't see anything other than their basic stuff the last time I was in NYC a couple years ago.

AleSmith Speedway Stout is readily available in NYC. I've seen Cigar City Marshal Zhukov Stout up there too but I think that's seasonal.

The new Enjoy By is not distributed in this area.

http://www.stonebrewing.com/enjoyby/

Bagley

« Reply #2821 on: June 12, 2013, 11:33:49 am »
Pleasantly surprised last night to find Avery Maharaja on tap at Matchbox (Chinatown)

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2822 on: June 12, 2013, 11:47:06 am »
Steelhead Double India Pale Ale

Avery The Reverend

Sixpoint Resin Doulble IPA

Yards  Love Stout

the place i buy beer has these new beers on tap.  which should i get today for my growler?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2823 on: June 12, 2013, 12:33:41 pm »
of that list i've only tried the Reverend.  at little on the sweet side but a nice BDSA/quad.  it's a sipper, not a chugger.  downing more than 2 glasses is a chore, but at that high ABV maybe that's a good thing.

i've been wanting to try Resin.  apparently it's a good hop bomb.  that's the one i'd probably go with, to satisfy my curiosity and my need for hops. 
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2824 on: June 12, 2013, 01:02:57 pm »
Avery and Sixpoint are definitely the superior breweries. Unless you like one style significantly better than the other, I'd say go with the Resin.

Steelhead Double India Pale Ale

Avery The Reverend

Sixpoint Resin Doulble IPA

Yards  Love Stout

the place i buy beer has these new beers on tap.  which should i get today for my growler?

James Ford

« Reply #2825 on: June 12, 2013, 01:32:37 pm »
Coincidentally, I'm going to NYC the same weekend as SAVOR in NYC. Totally skipping it and anything associated with it.

http://www.dcbeer.com/news/yeah-we-said-it-savor-ticket-sales-prove-dc-better-beer-town

stevewizzle

« Reply #2826 on: June 12, 2013, 05:15:18 pm »
puke.

if i'm from anywhere but DC, i'm reading that post and laughing my ass off.  who cares how we are as a beer city?  i like dcbeer, and their website does provide a great service to the city, but it's like they've been waiting for the right time to announce DC as this grand fucking place where all everyone cares about is beer.

NYC kids are skipping Savor because the price tag is ridiculous.  nothing else.  i went last year, and i swore i would never miss another one because I had so much fun. then I saw the price tag this year and said "fuck that". 

James Ford

« Reply #2827 on: June 13, 2013, 09:02:21 pm »

atomicfront

« Reply #2828 on: June 14, 2013, 10:15:57 am »
Andescher coming to America!

http://beerpulse.com/2013/06/andechs-makes-u-s-debut-next-week-in-new-york-city-630/

I thought you didn't like German Beer?

I was at the theater the other night and they had Guiness, Blue Moon, Magic Hat #9, Nattie Boh, Stella, and Amstel Light as the beer selections and I was like which Beer would James Ford drink in this situation? Then I realized he wouldn't pay 4.50 for a bottle of beer. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #2829 on: June 14, 2013, 10:49:17 am »
I was at the theater the other night and they had Guiness, Blue Moon, Magic Hat #9, Nattie Boh, Stella, and Amstel Light as the beer selections and I was like which Beer would James Ford drink in this situation? Then I realized he wouldn't pay 4.50 for a bottle of beer. 

i think it's so cute you think of James Ford in your free time.

James Ford

« Reply #2830 on: June 14, 2013, 11:12:11 am »
Some German beer is very good. Anything from Andescher falls into that category. Will be good if they land here in DC, but a little said because it would make a trip to Kloster Andechs a little less special.

Given those choices I would easily pick Guinness.

Andescher coming to America!

http://beerpulse.com/2013/06/andechs-makes-u-s-debut-next-week-in-new-york-city-630/

I thought you didn't like German Beer?

atomicfront

« Reply #2831 on: June 16, 2013, 09:12:27 pm »
Had two oskar blues brews on tap Vienna lager which was bland and their imperial red which was god awful.all you could Tate or smell was hops. I couldn't even finish it.  Can't wait until I get to Germany so I won't have to Taste shit beer like it.

James Ford

« Reply #2832 on: June 17, 2013, 07:48:48 am »
Had these beers on draft in NYC (I didn't go to the most beer geeky places, e.g. Torst, or Alewife, which had Cantillon on cask)

Weistephaner Vitus-A
Weistephaner Hefe-A
Lagutinas Little Sumpin Sumpin-A-
Ithaca Flower Power-B+
Ayinger Celebrator Dopplebock-B+
Sierra Nevada Kellerweis-B-

And picked up-

a sixer of Ithaca Flower Power
a four pack of Uinta Dubh (available locally but always seems to be expired, this wasn't)
a quad from Pretty Things
a DIPA from Captain Lawrence, which I promptly dropped and broke upon arrival home

stevewizzle

« Reply #2833 on: June 17, 2013, 11:12:04 am »
i really need to check out more weistephaner (beyond the hefe).  local dude at de vinos was hyping them up.

roommate came in from VT this weekend, echoing much of what James Ford has expressed about the trip. "every beer drinker needs to go up there at least once."  Got to drink plenty of hill farmstead, heady topper, jacks abbey and a few he collected in trades.  anyways, the list:

HFS Society & Solitude #3
Grassroots/HFS Legitimacy
Jacks Abbey BA Framinghammer (the best of the night, besides heady of course)
Almanac Farmer's Reserve No. 4
Heady

i've got a nice stash right now of OTWOA, lunch, and heady. may have to do a side-by-side comparison.

atomicfront

« Reply #2834 on: June 17, 2013, 11:14:35 am »
Had these beers on draft in NYC (I didn't go to the most beer geeky places, e.g. Torst, or Alewife, which had Cantillon on cask)

Weistephaner Vitus-A
Weistephaner Hefe-A
Ayinger Celebrator Dopplebock-B+

Wait a second these are more German beers that you really like.  I am totally confused.