Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241379 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3585 on: September 26, 2013, 11:58:57 am »
maybe i have.  i love my job so much.  best job i have ever had in my life!  it really is.  i feel bad for people, who hate, their jobs.

James Ford

« Reply #3586 on: September 27, 2013, 09:24:40 am »
Hey Kimmich, if you can ship it to Hollywood, you can ship it to DC.

http://7d.blogs.com/biteclub/2013/09/heady-topper-a-hot-commodity-at-the-emmy-awards.html

Yada

« Reply #3587 on: September 27, 2013, 10:22:41 am »
Hey Kimmich, if you can ship it to Hollywood, you can ship it to DC.

http://7d.blogs.com/biteclub/2013/09/heady-topper-a-hot-commodity-at-the-emmy-awards.html

wow... Got a fresh case coming this weekend!!!

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3588 on: September 27, 2013, 10:29:03 am »
maybe i am wrong . . . i am wrong a lot, but when i think of the hype of certain beers, i think of that ridiculous westvleteren bs, where people consider it the holy grail of holy grails with its epitome of a stupid way to get it, only to have another beer, st bernardus, which most consider to be just as good and i can find st bernardus everywhere i go, an equal to that "impossible to get" bs.  so make beer available, or fuck off.

atomic

« Reply #3589 on: September 27, 2013, 10:34:01 am »
maybe i am wrong . . . i am wrong a lot, but when i think of the hype of certain beers, i think of that ridiculous westvleteren bs, where people consider it the holy grail of holy grails with its epitome of a stupid way to get it, only to have another beer, st bernardus, which most consider to be just as good and i can find st bernardus everywhere i go, an equal to that "impossible to get" bs.  so make beer available, or fuck off.

St Bernadus is good.  But I think the Westvleteren stuff is made by monks.   They only brew enough to support the Monastary.  I have never had it but I can see why they are making limited quantities.  We aren't talking some commercial brewery in Vermont. 

i am gay and i like cats

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3591 on: September 27, 2013, 10:43:12 am »
I think you're not counting how much more enjoyable a product is made psychologically by knowing that other people can not easily acquire it.
LVMH

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3592 on: September 27, 2013, 10:48:45 am »
uhh . . . i hate that feeling.  all for everybody, or fuck off.

atomic

« Reply #3593 on: September 27, 2013, 10:55:15 am »
http://bonbeer.wordpress.com/2012/05/10/westvleteren-12-vs-st-bernardus-abt-12/

Interesting.  But even if they taste the same some people (James Ford) will prefer that it is brewed inside a monastary by monks over factory brewed beer.   

James Ford

« Reply #3594 on: September 27, 2013, 11:58:45 am »
Actually, I kind of hate the Catholic church, so I'd much rather support an American (or Belgian) factory.

That said, the trappist monestaries make some damn fine beer.

Interesting.  But even if they taste the same some people (James Ford) will prefer that it is brewed inside a monastary by monks over factory brewed beer.   

atomic

« Reply #3595 on: September 27, 2013, 01:49:11 pm »
Actually, I kind of hate the Catholic church, so I'd much rather support an American (or Belgian) factory.

I have enough airline miles to fly to belgium for free. Is it worth going there for the beer, moules, and frites?

James Ford

« Reply #3596 on: September 27, 2013, 02:30:59 pm »
That's how we went to Europe last time. Three free round trip tickets from our miles program. (mostly earned over several years of credit card purchases).

Since the miles programs are based on one way trips, I'd suggest flying into one city and flying home from another, to get the most bang for your buck. We flew into Munich, rented a car (very cheap if you rent wayyyyy in advance through autoeurope.com), and hit Belgium, and flew home from Amsterdam.

But i'm not really answering your question, am I? In my mind, Belgium doesn't have much to offer beyond the things you mentioned. And the weather was crap my last two times there. If moules, beer, and frites alone would satisfy you, by all means go for it. I was more inspired to return to Germany (better hiking, better weather, the bier gardens in Munich) than Belgium, despite their beer being inferior, and our being fish eating vegetarians.

I have enough airline miles to fly to belgium for free. Is it worth going there for the beer, moules, and frites?

atomic

« Reply #3597 on: September 27, 2013, 02:58:09 pm »
That's how we went to Europe last time. Three free round trip tickets from our miles program. (mostly earned over several years of credit card purchases).

Since the miles programs are based on one way trips, I'd suggest flying into one city and flying home from another, to get the most bang for your buck. We flew into Munich, rented a car (very cheap if you rent wayyyyy in advance through autoeurope.com), and hit Belgium, and flew home from Amsterdam.

But i'm not really answering your question, am I? In my mind, Belgium doesn't have much to offer beyond the things you mentioned. And the weather was crap my last two times there. If moules, beer, and frites alone would satisfy you, by all means go for it. I was more inspired to return to Germany (better hiking, better weather, the bier gardens in Munich) than Belgium, despite their beer being inferior, and our being fish eating vegetarians.

I am disappointed.  They said you were cheap and I thought no he isn't he went to Munich and Belgium.  I guess you still spent a bunch of money on hotel rooms. 

I got all my miles from flying and renting cars.  But I was thinking of going to someplace this winter with my miles.  I want to go to Norway next summer.  Looking at my  miles amount I can go to Paris, Belgium or Amsterdam for free.  Either that or I go to Hawaii or the Caribean.  But as those tickets are usually cheaper I don't know if it is worth it.  Plus I don't like relaxing on vacation. 

Maybe I will do Amsterdam an do a couple of days in Belgium. 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3598 on: September 27, 2013, 03:17:41 pm »
your final statement.  that makes the most sense.

James Ford

« Reply #3599 on: September 27, 2013, 03:27:55 pm »
For me it's 40K miles to goto Hawaii and 60K to go to Europe. But the price ratio isn't 2:3 for Hawaii:Europe (they're pretty close in price, aren't they?), so to me I think Hawaii makes more sense to go to on miles. Which is what we're doing next. And there's plenty of hiking, kayaking, whatever, to do in Hawaii, so I don't plan on doing toooo much relaxing.

We averaged $100 per night on hotels. Plenty of really good deals on priceline for the larger cities, and budget motels for the smaller towns.

I'm not a fan of Amsterdam.

There is good biking to be done in Holland and Belgium, but not in the winter.

I am disappointed.  They said you were cheap and I thought no he isn't he went to Munich and Belgium.  I guess you still spent a bunch of money on hotel rooms. 

I got all my miles from flying and renting cars.  But I was thinking of going to someplace this winter with my miles.  I want to go to Norway next summer.  Looking at my  miles amount I can go to Paris, Belgium or Amsterdam for free.  Either that or I go to Hawaii or the Caribean.  But as those tickets are usually cheaper I don't know if it is worth it.  Plus I don't like relaxing on vacation. 

Maybe I will do Amsterdam an do a couple of days in Belgium.