Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241410 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3615 on: October 01, 2013, 10:52:08 am »
I wanted an IPA/DIPA that was better than the Truth for $10 or less a six pack. Stella is not an IPA.

I'd say Torpedo and Stone IPA might fit that bill. Little Sumpin Sumpin if you count that as an IPA. Lagunitas Sucks if they put it in six packs again. That's about it.

thanks for sharing, nozzle.

Can you name me some better $10 and under DIPA (or even IPA) six pack year round options? Because $20 six packs aren't in my budget.

Just because it's $9 doesn't make it worth drinking... doubt I'll ever purchase it again.

I'd rather drink a six pack of Stella than The Truth.

You asked the question, nozzle.

James Ford

« Reply #3616 on: October 01, 2013, 10:53:17 am »
Cans are only sold at the brewery. The sometimes have it on draft at Whole Foods in Fairfax. Not sure where you'd find it on draft in MD, if at all.

is the OTWOA readily available in Maryland?

fyi, I like the southern tier 2x dipa for under $20/six

Yada

« Reply #3617 on: October 02, 2013, 09:42:06 am »
I wanted an IPA/DIPA that was better than the Truth for $10 or less a six pack. Stella is not an IPA.

I'd say Torpedo and Stone IPA might fit that bill. Little Sumpin Sumpin if you count that as an IPA. Lagunitas Sucks if they put it in six packs again. That's about it.

thanks for sharing, nozzle.

Can you name me some better $10 and under DIPA (or even IPA) six pack year round options? Because $20 six packs aren't in my budget.

Just because it's $9 doesn't make it worth drinking... doubt I'll ever purchase it again.

I'd rather drink a six pack of Stella than The Truth.

You asked the question, nozzle.

Two Hearted Ale and 60 Min IPA.

Yada

« Reply #3618 on: October 02, 2013, 11:36:41 am »

stevewizzle

« Reply #3619 on: October 02, 2013, 03:48:59 pm »
i now live in seattle, aka beer heaven. maybe beer heaven? i'm not sure. i stopped in to portland, and visited cascade and hair of the dog, and those places were great. maybe portland is beer heaven, or san diego, or san francisco. i've yet to spend enough time in those places.

but seattle is impressive. i'm living in ballard/fremont area, and i keep going for runs or bike rides and i keep passing new breweries.  i've seen 10+ breweries.  now, quantity vs. quality, yeah, but shit. the bottle shops and bars are great, too. i went to brouwers last night, and while time will tell, it might beat out churchkey as my favorite beer bar.  the draft list was IPA-focused, their "hopfest" just ended, but there's 40-50 drafts, and their bottle list is absolutely incredible.  anyways, went with a draft of green flash green bullet last night.  enjoyed the hop bomb.  will need to do my research before i show up next time.

had a few stops on the XC trip, but a surprise was in albuquerque. had elevation IPA, from la cumbre, and that was a damn good beer.  i should have bought more.

Yada

« Reply #3620 on: October 02, 2013, 04:09:14 pm »
i now live in seattle, aka beer heaven. maybe beer heaven? i'm not sure. i stopped in to portland, and visited cascade and hair of the dog, and those places were great. maybe portland is beer heaven, or san diego, or san francisco. i've yet to spend enough time in those places.

but seattle is impressive. i'm living in ballard/fremont area, and i keep going for runs or bike rides and i keep passing new breweries.  i've seen 10+ breweries.  now, quantity vs. quality, yeah, but shit. the bottle shops and bars are great, too. i went to brouwers last night, and while time will tell, it might beat out churchkey as my favorite beer bar.  the draft list was IPA-focused, their "hopfest" just ended, but there's 40-50 drafts, and their bottle list is absolutely incredible.  anyways, went with a draft of green flash green bullet last night.  enjoyed the hop bomb.  will need to do my research before i show up next time.

had a few stops on the XC trip, but a surprise was in albuquerque. had elevation IPA, from la cumbre, and that was a damn good beer.  i should have bought more.

Let me know when you need a shipment of Wings and we can set up nice little beer trade!

stevewizzle

« Reply #3621 on: October 02, 2013, 04:38:15 pm »

Let me know when you need a shipment of Wings and we can set up nice little beer trade!

you know, i'm open to trading, and i sent out my first box on monday.  i shipped fedex ground to DC, and while the box was 30 lbs (i sent a lot of beer...), cost was insane.  $47.50 to ship to DC? that's nuts.  i shipped my dad a few beers as well, 8 lbs worth, and that was $20+.  any advice? 

Yada

« Reply #3622 on: October 02, 2013, 05:07:53 pm »

you know, i'm open to trading, and i sent out my first box on monday.  i shipped fedex ground to DC, and while the box was 30 lbs (i sent a lot of beer...), cost was insane.  $47.50 to ship to DC? that's nuts.  i shipped my dad a few beers as well, 8 lbs worth, and that was $20+.  any advice? 

That seems a bit high... a case of topper or Surly is roughly $30 to ship, not really anyway around it. I'm willing to pay though essentially a mark up of $1.25 a beer for abrasive, topper, etc.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3623 on: October 02, 2013, 06:01:52 pm »
you know what sucks.  virginia.  but that is besides the point.  the usps will not allow any shipment of any alcohol anywhere from any place, any planet.  it is so tough, you can not ev en ship any thing in any box that says alcohol or anything pertaining to alcohol.  if it says the name of a winery on the box and that is all it says, you can not use it.  bizarro world.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3624 on: October 03, 2013, 11:00:23 am »
you know what sucks.  virginia.  but that is besides the point.  the usps will not allow any shipment of any alcohol anywhere from any place, any planet.  it is so tough, you can not ev en ship any thing in any box that says alcohol or anything pertaining to alcohol.  if it says the name of a winery on the box and that is all it says, you can not use it.  bizarro world.

Yes, that is technically the law, but I get liquor and wine shipped to me all the time through respectable dealers and its never even questioned.
LVMH

brennser

« Reply #3625 on: October 03, 2013, 11:19:58 am »

that seems too high - what I do is FedEx home delivery (I think its the same/possibly cheaper than fedex ground) - I do everything at home incl printing the label and then just drop it off at a FedEx - I find that you can usually underestimate the weight by quite a bit and they don't check

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3626 on: October 03, 2013, 11:23:43 am »
If you have a capable butler who can cover for your valet during his absence, you can always have your valet play courier for a day or two and hand-deliver it.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #3627 on: October 03, 2013, 11:39:09 am »
If you have a capable butler who can cover for your valet during his absence, you can always have your valet play courier for a day or two and hand-deliver it.

*searches for the funny in this post, can't find it**

stevewizzle

« Reply #3628 on: October 03, 2013, 12:18:00 pm »

that seems too high - what I do is FedEx home delivery (I think its the same/possibly cheaper than fedex ground) - I do everything at home incl printing the label and then just drop it off at a FedEx - I find that you can usually underestimate the weight by quite a bit and they don't check

that's a good plan.  will shift over to this.

i was in a pinch, wanted to get the box out before i started the new job.  you know, get the shit out with maximum freshness.

check out that la cumbre too.  it's worth a trade, readily available in New Mexico. $10 a 4-pack (16oz).

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3629 on: October 04, 2013, 04:35:49 pm »
but anyway, i, or i dont think, anybody has done this in a while.  what have you bought, what got you excited in the beer storee? 

these days i'm most excited about my home brews.  before the twins were born, i went on a brewing rampage.  i knew i wouldn't be brewing much in the coming months so i stocked up the cellar. 

currently serving:
- citra/rye imperial saison (used a mix of Dupont and Brasserie Thiriez's yeasts).  i have half of this batch aging on brett but that won't be ready until Xmas at the earliest.
- split batch belgian blond'ish/saison: fermented half with the aforementioned saison's yeast, and the other half with Fantome yeast (which is also a saison yeast).
- chocolate oatmeal stout (brewed for the missus - oatmeal and hops are supposed to be good for breastfeeding)
- harvest ale, made using fresh-picked wet hops
- "leftover soup DIPA", a huge hop bomb with an eclectic malt bill (AKA whatever needed to be used up)

all of these beers are damn tasty, if i do say so myself.  it's quite interesting to do side-by-side tasting of the 3 saisons.  i can do a "different wort same yeast" or a "same wort different yeast" comparison.

currently fermenting in the basement is a maple mead and black cherry cider.  those were relatively easy to throw together and mostly just require time to age out... i'm not going to be using those fermenters for the next few months anyways ;D
<sig>